Learn to crochet? (6 Viewers)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Had another look at machine and managed to fix it foot had partly come off and was jamming the mechanism. Now to see if it works. Have an ancient readers digest book ‘how to sew’ or something like that it even has a section on treadles. Mum loved hers, so may find it more helpful than the brother manual.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had another look at machine and managed to fix it foot had partly come off and was jamming the mechanism. Now to see if it works. Have an ancient readers digest book ‘how to sew’ or something like that it even has a section on treadles. Mum loved hers, so may find it more helpful than the brother manual.

Good luck.

It should be fine unless you've knocked the timing out.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Good luck.

It should be fine unless you've knocked the timing out.
Not sure it was right to start with lol last used for seaming an old quilt cover to fit the memory foam topper in the van. Or it might have been to shorten my crops as you can rarely get them in petite. will give it a go later if I can fit the ironing board into my snug/junk room, otherwise will be getting 'helpful' advice from an engineer, that's if it doesn't drown out his tv. Quite looking forward to it. made new covers for the romahome, but it had wooden bases so I lazily just stapled them on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not sure it was right to start with lol last used for seaming an old quilt cover to fit the memory foam topper in the van. Or it might have been to shorten my crops as you can rarely get them in petite. will give it a go later if I can fit the ironing board into my snug/junk room, otherwise will be getting 'helpful' advice from an engineer, that's if it doesn't drown out his tv. Quite looking forward to it. made new covers for the romahome, but it had wooden bases so I lazily just stapled them on.

Sorry I've been no help Sue.. I am not much use at repairing things like objects.

Are you doing the Flora zoom Tuesday?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Are you doing the Flora zoom Tuesday?
Yes really enjoyed the last one, gin is still on the table from then, but am picking a new flavoured one up today so may try that instead. Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I have just come across this amazing collection of over 900 free patterns for knitting and crochet!

There are sweaters, socks, hats, soft furnishings and toys, beginners to advanced techniques.

Some are in German - it says DE - but most are in English. Click on 'filter' to select the category you are interested in or do what I did and click through all 50 pages.

Have fun 😀

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Wow Janine The perfect website for a wet Sunday while they're showing an old football match on TV. Should have been a good match to watch, England v Germany World Cup 1966 but they keep interrupting it with old men's reminiscences.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Some lovely unusual patterns on there!

I have found something to use this crappy, stiff cotton yarn on at last 😀

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Well in between knitting baby hats and after doing John's jumper the covid cardi is finished, think i might do a hat to match
1592309815906.png

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I found a dozen unused Prima patterns while I was packing up the house. I’ve put the photos in the classifieds section. £12 plus cost of stamps if anyone wants them. Money is going to Last Chance Rescue in Romania to help with their vet and food bills. I’ve also got quilting books ( new) if anyone wants any. PM me for details, photos.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I found a dozen unused Prima patterns while I was packing up the house. I’ve put the photos in the classifieds section. £12 plus cost of stamps if anyone wants them. Money is going to Last Chance Rescue in Romania to help with their vet and food bills. I’ve also got quilting books ( new) if anyone wants any. PM me for details, photos.

Patterns now sold. Large bag of food for the dogs 🙂

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I am really pleased with this little blanket 24" square. It used some boring grey/fawn wool I bought in error off ebay and some pastel leftovers not enough to make a garment. A very quick crochet stitch which comes automatically after a while. I want to make a white one next because I like its bobbly effect - just the right weight.

It weighs 8 ounces so I have enough grey/fawn to make another.

Attachments

• E0C6621E-A643-4692-9E4B-12C4BFEF6507.jpeg
    E0C6621E-A643-4692-9E4B-12C4BFEF6507.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 23
  • BD7528DF-D6BC-4F9C-B841-256763E1EC0A.jpeg
    BD7528DF-D6BC-4F9C-B841-256763E1EC0A.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 21

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
And I’m so hot I cannot count to three. I had to unravel three rows to get back to it - lol 😄View attachment 402050

I love that!

I have enough blocks crocheted for one bed cover (they need blocking) and the blocks for the other just need their final round.

Because I can only block two at a time I started on a winter sweater for myself. I'm making up the pattern as I go so it may end up being a dog's dinner.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I love that!

I have enough blocks crocheted for one bed cover (they need blocking) and the blocks for the other just need their final round.

Because I can only block two at a time I started on a winter sweater for myself. I'm making up the pattern as I go so it may end up being a dog's dinner.
Mmm I have completed three and on my way to six others - making do with colours I have, as they seem to be working out - I will have to finish it now I’ve shown you - lol - but not in the hot hot weather, my hands get sweaty and the yarn gets greasy.
image.jpg

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hello. Here is the white version. Soooo easy I wish I’d known about it when I was teaching crochet at the Big C 1B151FF8-6141-4A6F-AD07-388FB49DBB8B.jpeg It is even easier than granny squares. This is when crochet becomes relaxing (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Wish I understood that. :(. I am just still at cast on and plain crochet stage.

The work on here is amazing.

I'm making covers for the beds in our guest room Joy. Each cover needs 15 squares and the squares measure about 19 inches side to side. I made the squares in sequence - rounds 1-6 on 30 squares and then I did the same round on each of the 30 squares (if that makes sense). All the finished blocks need squaring up (blocking) and I can only do two blocks at a time so am finishing a couple of squares at a time rather than having a pile of finished but unblocked squares. Also I got bored and started the sweater :)

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Finally finished the lace knit scarf, a kit from a knitting magazine that my boss found in the cupboard. Scarf is nearly 2m long. It's still all rolled up at the edges as I don't have the space in here to block something that long. She'll have to do that herself. It wasn't anything complicated, just had to keep talking to myself to get things in the right order. Dropping stitches in lace knitting is never a good idea though....

DSC01777.JPG

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Dropping stitches in lace knitting is never a good idea though....

Or forgetting to do the yarn over/round :)

All the blocks for the bedspreads are now complete and half of them have been blocked.

The sweater I am knitting (in the round - hem up this time) is up to the neck and I am doing the neck ribbing. I will then pick up the temporary cast on where the sleeves join the yoke and knit them down. A really odd way to construct it but never mind.

I also read about a different way of making "short rows" - German Short Row Method and will try that on the next socks i make as I have never been happy with the way I was shown to wrap stitches. I may even do a trial sample first doing both methods to see which looks better.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I also read about a different way of making "short rows" - German Short Row Method and will try that on the next socks i make as I have never been happy with the way I was shown to wrap stitches. I may even do a trial sample first doing both methods to see which looks better.
Explanation please!
On socks I do short rows by yanking the thread over so you end up with a doubled loop. You have to keep it ever so tight though or you end up with a hole. The first and last one I then pick up some extra stitches when going plain round again to make sure there's no hole as I never can keep those first and last ones tight enough. But I prefer short rows to making a heel flap, think it looks neater.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
German Short Row Method
That’s used when knitting octopals for OFAPUK. I only made one, right at the beginning when I joined, and decided it was too difficult and hard on the hands so taught myself to crochet.

My hands have been playing up so haven’t made many octos during lockdown but I started a Persian Tiles blanket using King Cole Riot rather than lots of different colours because i didn’t want to be sewing in all the ends!. It’s going to be unusual. Not sure I’m a huge fan but it might turn out ok.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Explanation please!
On socks I do short rows by yanking the thread over so you end up with a doubled loop. You have to keep it ever so tight though or you end up with a hole. The first and last one I then pick up some extra stitches when going plain round again to make sure there's no hole as I never can keep those first and last ones tight enough. But I prefer short rows to making a heel flap, think it looks neater.

This probably explains far better than I can ...... haven't done it yet as I always followed the instructions on the pattern where you take the yarn to the front or the back and slip a stitch and then pull the yarn back (or forward) and then slipped the stitch back. I get "lost off" doing this when it is time to knit the stitch and the wrap and make a right mess of holes.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
This probably explains far better than I can ...... haven't done it yet as I always followed the instructions on the pattern where you take the yarn to the front or the back and slip a stitch and then pull the yarn back (or forward) and then slipped the stitch back. I get "lost off" doing this when it is time to knit the stitch and the wrap and make a right mess of holes.
That's how I do it. There's my German genes again, never had heard it called German short row before!
As I said though, make sure you keep it really tight (especially on the purl row which often is a tad looser anyway) or you end up with distinct holes as in lace knitting. I knit on 5 needles and I do find that the first and last 'mds' do tend to create a hole but on the first round plain knitting again (when the heel is done), I just pick up some loose bits, make an extra stitch (often two) and knit together so you still have the same number of stitches. DONT drop one of those stitches though, I have never worked out how to pick it up again and it is always a rippit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back