LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I know! I like them all but think I'll do the blue colourway. It's called jewellery box.

Blue or blue and white is always a clean and classy combination :)

I have started to knit a sweater for myself using some of the yarn I was given at Harrogate**. I will probably have to buy one or two more cakes though. I am making up the pattern as I go along so goodness knows how it will turn out :) If it is wearable I will write up the pattern and offer it free as part of the UK Handknitting Association leaflets next year - plus the finished sweater will be on show. On the other hand it may end up as a kinked pile of unravelled yarn........ lol

It will be a pattern for the more experienced knitter, a top down yoked sweater using a stretchy cast on at the neck and either a provisional cast on or a two way cast on where the yoke divides for the sleeves. I won't write out how to do that as there are so many videos on YouTube and written instructions on the internet. :)

** Dream Catcher by Stylecraft. I was given two part cakes that had been mauled around and were no longer fit for sale. They retail at over £7 each!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I had a look at the yarn in the local discount store on my way to the supermarket this afternoon.

A couple of the colours were what I wanted but they did not have anything but baby blue and I want either a dark blue or even better an electric blue so I didn't bother. I'll need to make up a square and unravel to measure the amounts needed anyway :)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I completed this one today, what do you think...….
20200121_154759.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've ordered the extra yarn for the sweater I have started and also yarn for the first few round of the counterpanes. I'll need 116 squares. I've ordered enough yarn to do the first 3 rounds of all 116 squares and enough orange for the petals of some of them. Because I will need so much I'll get a bit at a time to spread the cost. The last round will need to have the yarn all bought together so the dye batch is the same of course.

I'm still wondering of I should make the two rounds of petals the same or different....... I think the same would look more elegant and "put together".

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've ordered the extra yarn for the sweater I have started and also yarn for the first few round of the counterpanes. I'll need 116 squares. I've ordered enough yarn to do the first 3 rounds of all 116 squares and enough orange for the petals of some of them. Because I will need so much I'll get a bit at a time to spread the cost. The last round will need to have the yarn all bought together so the dye batch is the same of course.

I'm still wondering of I should make the two rounds of petals the same or different....... I think the same would look more elegant and "put together".
I think you are right to have a colour common to all of the motifs - it would look less ‘scrappy’ in my opinion.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
And last night I finished the baby hat and jacket

100_9856.JPG The buttons are from my Grandma's button tin - the new baby's great-great-Grandma. They were exactly the right size and colour.

100_9857.JPG

And I got the Linus blanket finished. All children should have a Linus blanket.

100_9859.JPG The blocks are the same pattern I am going to use for the counterpanes in the guest room. I decided to catch the petals down with a stitch at the tips (so still a puffy 3D effect) and when I make the counterpane blocks I will attempt to crochet them down at the tips as I go although if that doesn't work out it didn't take long to sew them down.

Whether the baby ever wears the coat will be interesting. I love the wee hat which worked out really well.

Back down to a single project in progress which makes me feel less anxious......... but the counterpane blocks are my travelling project and will be done in tandem with another project.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The yarn for the coverlets has arrived - flat packed!!!!!!

100_9866.JPG 100_9865.JPG

The red is rather brighter than I expected, I'm not sure if I should put that to one side and see if I can get a darker shade or if to just go ahead and use it.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The yarn for the coverlets has arrived - flat packed!!!!!!

View attachment 359004 View attachment 359005

The red is rather brighter than I expected, I'm not sure if I should put that to one side and see if I can get a darker shade or if to just go ahead and use it.
Might not look so red once it is 'inflated'

son got me a campervan latch hook kit for my birthday, have had a look at how to do it on Utube think i might get the hang of it. Where would we be without the how to videos? the instructions are minimal.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
And last night I finished the baby hat and jacket

View attachment 358749 The buttons are from my Grandma's button tin - the new baby's great-great-Grandma. They were exactly the right size and colour.

View attachment 358750

And I got the Linus blanket finished. All children should have a Linus blanket.

View attachment 358751 The blocks are the same pattern I am going to use for the counterpanes in the guest room. I decided to catch the petals down with a stitch at the tips (so still a puffy 3D effect) and when I make the counterpane blocks I will attempt to crochet them down at the tips as I go although if that doesn't work out it didn't take long to sew them down.

Whether the baby ever wears the coat will be interesting. I love the wee hat which worked out really well.

Back down to a single project in progress which makes me feel less anxious......... but the counterpane blocks are my travelling project and will be done in tandem with another project.
Beautiful Pam I hope it’s used and treasured!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I'm beginning to absolutely hate granny squares, I now have 160 of the 208 needed and as I've deviated somewhat from the original colour choice and added in a few more I do feel somewhat grateful that the jacket is only designated to be used when doing crochet in bed in the van and therefore won't be seen by anybody else but Mark, and as I sit out of sight of him while leaning on the sidewall of the bathroom he won't see it much either.

I'll have to call it Mindy's Technicolour Dreamjacket although I'm probably more likely to get nightmares. I have stacks of squares in every colour combination I could possibly do which vaguely work together and so need to go through them to find the best colour combinations and do another 48 squares. I can crank them out at the rate of 1 every 20 minutes so should be done with the thing by the end of February... however my brain has caught up with itself and I'll have to darn in all the ends, only 6 per square! ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Mark and Mindy once it is done you should put it away for a month or so - and when you pull it out you will love it!

The additional ball of yarn for my jumper has arrived so I can now finish that, but last night I made the first two blocks for the coverlets - except for the final round which I think will be done in dark blue or dark green. Martin loves them. The original block was the Croco-Dahlia block by Joyce Lewis and I just made minor adjustments but got a totally different look. I have written down the adjustments so I can replicate them. Writing down probably takes more time than making.

100_9867.JPG
100_9868.JPG

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I'll have to darn in all the ends,
My least favourite job
How are you going to join the squares together?

Puddleduck how do you feel about the red now? I like it. But not sure how I'd feel about a whole blanket of it.

Along with octopuses I've been working on some unfinished projects since being away. Nearly finished a 5yr old child's cardigan (button band etc left to do) and restarted a half done 8yr old cable jacket. Pics to follow when I get them out later.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
My least favourite job
How are you going to join the squares together?

Puddleduck how do you feel about the red now? I like it. But not sure how I'd feel about a whole blanket of it.

Along with octopuses I've been working on some unfinished projects since being away. Nearly finished a 5yr old child's cardigan (button band etc left to do) and restarted a half done 8yr old cable jacket. Pics to follow when I get them out later.
I was just going to sew them together, is that the best way or is there something else I can do which is easier (and faster)?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I was just going to sew them together, is that the best way or is there something else I can do which is easier (and faster)?
You could crochet them together. I'm fairly new to crocheting and haven't done much apart from octopals but I crocheted the edges of the headbands I made my girls together with good results.
Look up "crocheting granny squares together" on YouTube and choose the Bella Coco one. I haven't watched it but her videos are always good.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

I quite like it and will stick with it :) I can always sew white buttons in the centres if I think it is too much. The blocks are over 9 inches square when finished and I can always add more white rounds if I think the flowers are overpowering.

I'm going to make the final round either dark blue or green and crochet the squares together double cr in first stitch of first square, one chain, double cr into first stitch of second square, one chain, dc into second stitch of first square etc.

The beds in the guest room can be either singles or zipped together to make a super-king size. I'm wondering if I should make the coverlets so one edge of each will unbutton so I can remove it and then be able to button the remains together for the superking. No need to decide yet though!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I quite like it and will stick with it :) I can always sew white buttons in the centres if I think it is too much. The blocks are over 9 inches square when finished and I can always add more white rounds if I think the flowers are overpowering.

I'm going to make the final round either dark blue or green and crochet the squares together double cr in first stitch of first square, one chain, double cr into first stitch of second square, one chain, dc into second stitch of first square etc.

The beds in the guest room can be either singles or zipped together to make a super-king size. I'm wondering if I should make the coverlets so one edge of each will unbutton so I can remove it and then be able to button the remains together for the superking. No need to decide yet though!
How heavy will it be for buttoning together? You might have to reinforce the holes somehow to avoid them stretching if there is a lot hanging over the edge when buttoned together.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I learned to crochet watching the Bella Coco videos on YouTube, following her poppy instructions - made quite a few while we were away last September and took into our local library for the town display.
Bella Coco for me too :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back