Learn to crochet? (3 Viewers)

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
movan , what a lovely story to share and although very sad too the fact that your nan didn't give up and finished a fine piece of work for you under the difficult circumstances she must have been in speaks volumes about the kind of lady she was and how much she must have treasured you as you do her. :drinks:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sus3v any tips on which type of craft fayres to choose and which to avoid? Seem to be so many different types.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Sus3v any tips on which type of craft fayres to choose and which to avoid? Seem to be so many different types.
I joined a local group ‘made in monmouthshire’ I If I do a fair independently I will pick one which looks like it has a varied footfall and isn’t stupidly expensive - bigger than a village, smaller than an international event. also has a bit of variety of content.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
THIS IS JUST FOR INFORMATION/INTEREST...

My nan more or less brought me up until she died, when I was aged 10.. She was very special. Her first husband was killed in World War 1.. A mere boy himself.. leaving her alone with a baby in times when single mums, even widows, were not helped as today. The baby, and 3 others in later years, died of malnutrition. She married my grandad, who was a bustard to her. She had a terrible life but I really loved her.

Nan was as hopeless at crocheting and knitting as I am.. :).. But when my mum was pregnant with me my nan pulled out all the stops and made this for me.. Her one and only finished piece.

Those of you who know how old I am will appreciate its age and value to me. Believe it or not, I still have moments when I ache for her, and still miss her so much.

View attachment 348679
So sad & so beautiful all at once.......:h::heartbreak:

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I thought you lovely mad lot would like this, it made me giggle.........
coffee.jpg

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Afternoon all, quick question,( well knowing my capacity for waffling, probably not that quick!) When you do a magic circle to start a piece of crochet does it stay tight from just pulling the loose end shut? Its just occured to me that a lot of bits i have done (arms n legs) are quite narrow so i have only tightly pulled the circle together and not even woven the end in so i am having mild jitters about them popping open!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Afternoon all, quick question,( well knowing my capacity for waffling, probably not that quick!) When you do a magic circle to start a piece of crochet does it stay tight from just pulling the loose end shut? Its just occured to me that a lot of bits i have done (arms n legs) are quite narrow so i have only tightly pulled the circle together and not even woven the end in so i am having mild jitters about them popping open!
I think it’s always a good idea just to do a couple of stitches with the tail to make sure. But that’s because I’m used to crocheting octopuses for OFAPUK which have to be super safe.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

A couple of back stitches just to make sure I think. I’m a convert to the double magic circle, it’s really much more secure.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm just catching up after the Harrogate Show which was rather overwhelming at times it was so busy. I was glad to be where I was and able to sit and knit or crochet. I managed to teach a few people to knit and a couple to crochet. My research on left handed knitting was not wasted as I was able to show that as well and someone who claimed it was impossible for a leftie to knit departed with enough confidence after she was successful to try again at home :)

I am exhausted but found that the trailer park in Starbeck was much as the reviews said.... facilities dated, unheated but clean. Easy access to Harrogate, road noise during the day (bit not excessive) and quiet at night. We will use the park again assuming I am at Harrogate next year.

Is there anything I can make which doesn't involve having some massive garment, something which would be useful for somebody else, happy to crochet lots of smaller things but there's nothing that I want to make for us or myself.

Hats?

I have the same problem, the finished blanket will be a bit short for our van bed so I am hoping to add some stripes to the top and bottom. I haven’t got to worry about it for a while as I’m only on the first square.

This is a finished version someone did. View attachment 348369

I would add another round of the smaller squares :)

I always do a double or even triple ring and sew in after having one burst. It isn't too bad sewing closed again, just a nuisance.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We called in at my parents' house on the way home. Mum had a clothes catalogue and had marked a cardigan she liked, it was 100% Alpaca and to buy over £400 but I think she would like me to see if I can make something in a similar style for her in an easier to care for yarn. There was also a jacket I liked that I may use as inspiration for myself.

Stephen saw his sweater but I was a nasty Grandma and wouldn't let him have it (I needed it to show what a top down sweater using a circular needle looks like and have been asked to write up the pattern) but I have been told his Daddy and his Grandad both need sweaters to match his. I have the yarn and have started Daddy's sweater but Grandad has a short reprieve as I couldn't get the base yarn for his.

Lots of younger people at the show and many were taken aback at the cost of quality materials. Knitting and crochet are part of (I think) "A" level art and design syllabus. I had a lot of young people of that age wanting to have instruction about knitting and crochet as they had to know for their exams and they "didn't get it" when shown in class. I hope someone took photos of me and the five young ladies in their religious dress all in a huddle and with hands over mine (then mine over theirs) as we ironed out the issues and they learned to relax and giggle at my descriptions of what to do!

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
In our local craft shop today saw this loved it.. Going to have a go for my room.

View attachment 349817

Seeing that reminded me that our WI yarnbombed all the benches in our village when our new hall opened, and knitted and crocheted little furry creatures to go around them. Via fb we got a lot of comments and photos of folks enjoying our work and I thought you might like to see this photo.
EEAE0511-FA3B-4A89-95E0-93C5292C35E8.png

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Having had a bit of a dither about what to crochet and the usefulness of it, I've changed my mind from anigurami to making this:

When we're in the van in the evenings I like to put my nightie on and put the duvet round my waist so my legs are warm, then I put a pillow behind my back longways and lean back against the bathroom wall while sitting on the bed and reading, it tucks me round the corner a bit which is nice but I find that my shoulders and tops of arms feel chilly.

Mark sits in the swivelled passenger seat using the table for his laptop, and then he gets up to make the drinks because I'm cozy in bed!

I need a short cardigan - all mine are hovering around the top of the thigh and it gets all caught up - so did a bit of browsing and came up with this. I won't use the yarn they say as I can do better elsewhere and its granny squares so I can get my hand in and used to crocheting again.

I liked these squares and wondered about throwing in a few, think it would be too hard on the eyes to do a lot though.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
@markandmindy wow! That's a lovely cardi, not sure if the spirals would be too much to add in but there again i have no sense of style at all! Why not do several anyway and see - or is it all knitted in one bit rather than squares then sewn?, i am stuck on amigurumi at the moment.
I too snuggle up with my blankies in the van and get waited on as his lordship doesn't feel the cold - lucky us!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
@markandmindy wow! That's a lovely cardi, not sure if the spirals would be too much to add in but there again i have no sense of style at all! Why not do several anyway and see - or is it all knitted in one bit rather than squares then sewn?, i am stuck on amigurumi at the moment.
I too snuggle up with my blankies in the van and get waited on as his lordship doesn't feel the cold - lucky us!
Its done in squares, and I like that it isn't a "one size fits all" pattern either, right down the end it shows how many squares for the different sizes. Its only going to be for me in the van, rather than wearing it out and about because I want to do a hotchpotch of colours in squares and not necessarily get them looking just so, also not planning to do so much light wool as the dogs do love to snuggle up!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I say go for it and experiment with the 2 sorts of squares-worst case is you end up with a square cardi and a spiral one- result!
I like that idea, wonder if Mark will notice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back