Learn to crochet? (15 Viewers)

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Crochet is the perfect Motorhome hobby - no mess - portable - inexpensive - and (once mastered) therapeutic. I am going to attempt to teach it from my hospital bed. Choose a 5 or 6mm crochet hook “Pony” in the blue & orange pack are widely available and a ball of double knit yarn. Make a slip knot.

These instructions are for right-handed people.

Abbreviations
l/h left hand
r/h right hand
c/h crochet hook

If you have any queries please ask and when we get started please give me feedback. First lesson tomorrow. Apparently there are lessons on YouTube which could be a help.

Auntie Pam

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Get well.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm in Pam but I will have to practice with a pretend hook as haven't one yet!!!
See you tommorrow!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I’m going to have to get a hook tomorrow as I don’t know where mine are (lost in a sea of boxes somewhere)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’m in - now where do I buy the hook? We have a project here in Keynsham - spelt K E Y N S H A M ... to knit and crochet poppies to drape down the wall of St Johns Church - I’m hoping you can teach me before November! (y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I think the grass is a bit wet for playing crochet at the moment.;)

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I know Anthea M is keen to make Granny squares but you have to start with a chain to find out the best way to hold the c/h and wrapping and working with the other fingers. If I was teaching one-to-one I would start with a ready-made piece of work as something to hang on to.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@snailtrailer Just rummaging through sewing box to see if I already had any hooks and came across these. They are plastic. The long one seems to be for measuring crochet hooks as each dent has a mm number on it but what is the round thing for please? Will I need to keep it for use eventually? Or shall I discard it?
20180305_175553.jpg

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I’m in - now where do I buy the hook? We have a project here in Keynsham - spelt K E Y N S H A M ... to knit and crochet poppies to drape down the wall of St Johns Church - I’m hoping you can teach me before November! (y)
Amazon have pony ones as cheap as chips (less than £2) next day delivery.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Knitting is a far more useful pastime you see
My dear ole Mum would always reply to all my youthfull wants from toys to Motor bikes :cycle:
"I'll knit you one"
Pricless

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just back from our month of babysitting - I took my second sewing machine and worked my way through a huge pile of mending. Martin floored a loft in the house where we were staying, did some rewiring* and lots of other DIY stuff including fitting a loft ladder. *The rewiring was needed as he found that wires had been put over halogen lights under insulation and as a result the insulation round the wires had perished and in a couple of cases there was shorting out. So close to a major fire........

I used 500 metres of thread over the month :)

I like to crochet and knit and sew - if you knit circular needles are great for traveling, much easier to pack. With circular needles spend a bit more money and get decent ones, the cheap ones don't have a smooth join between needle and cord and will catch the yarn and drive you crazy. People who use cheap circular needles often say they hate using a circular needle when it is the cheap needle they hate. I have "Basix" and "Nova" circular needles :)

I can show how to crochet at any of the Scottish Rallies but will ask for a small donation to my charity!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Amazon have pony ones as cheap as chips (less than £2) next day delivery.
I’m out and about tomorrow so will look for one - will the ‘pony’ ones be evident to an absolute ignoramous? I have NO idea what I’m looking for .......

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I’m out and about tomorrow so will look for one - will the ‘pony’ ones be evident to an absolute ignoramous? I have NO idea what I’m looking for .......

Snap. :(

Pam .. I know we have to start with lines and squares and easy things but do you think eventually I/we may be able to do something like this ..or am I being stupid? :(.. I am soooooo excited about learning at last :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Oops forgot the link.

Crikey Joy - I’m going to have lessons on how to tie the first knot to cast on.... I don’t think I have enough time left to me to make that little beauty .... :cry:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Knitting is a far more useful pastime you see
My dear ole Mum would always reply to all my youthfull wants from toys to Motor bikes :cycle:
"I'll knit you one"
Pricless
Guilty, still say it.
Started a cot blanket for my nephew, (crochet) he's in his 40s now, it is big enough for a double bed started with a sqare and am still going round it. Can't bare to part with it as each piece of yarn reminds me of the article the rest was used for, full of 40 years of memories.

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Crochet is the perfect Motorhome hobby - no mess - portable - inexpensive - and (once mastered) therapeutic. I am going to attempt to teach it from my hospital bed. Choose a 5 or 6mm crochet hook “Pony” in the blue & orange pack are widely available and a ball of double knit yarn. Make a slip knot.

These instructions are for right-handed people.

Abbreviations
l/h left hand
r/h right hand
c/h crochet hook

If you have any queries please ask and when we get started please give me feedback. First lesson tomorrow. Apparently there are lessons on YouTube which could be a help.

Auntie Pam
First lesson tomorrow ... @Anthea M - you supply the horses, I’ll bring cake .....

CAF227E3-F473-4775-AD3D-B5B7FF67BF88.jpeg

(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back