Learn to crochet? (6 Viewers)

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
one of those days ... all I have achieved is the knowledge that you can count up to 36 a dozen times .. . And sometimes you stop at 34 or 35 and sometimes you go on to 37 or 38 ... and never use dark purple wool. :mad:

Can I add don't try and count stitches while watching the tennis unless you mute it first. Earlier today I had got up to 38 and the score 40 love was announced - really messes with my head, my brain can't handle it :oops:

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Congratulations !

3000 posts on how to knot a piece of wool.

And not one on how to build a cold fusion reactor out of an old lawnmower and cappuccino machine.
That's because the thread is about crochet not nuclear engineering. But feel free to start one. Or crochet one taking inspiration from this:

Can I add don't try and count stitches while watching the tennis unless you mute it first. Earlier today I had got up to 38 and the score 40 love was announced - really messes with my head, my brain can't handle it :oops:
And when someone starts talking to you when you're counting in your head reply to them by counting REALLY LOUDLY.
"Do you want a cup of tea?"
"TWENTY ONE, TWENTY TWO, TWENTY THREE....."?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I do that counting loud thing too, learnt at my mothers knee. spent some time last night trying to set the pattern for my next jumper knit. gave up and went to bed just too tired to get my head round it. no chance today off out tonight for son's birthday he doesn't drink so will be driving the celebrants home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Mrs C has been learning to crochet
By watching YouTube videos

She bought some multi coloured wool

Look what she made - a lovely flower

0F0891C9-38AC-4CC9-9B79-384F1AF70100.jpeg

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie

View attachment 312970

Robert, that's lovely. Can can you remind Lis of the Attic24 website we discussed at Sutton, there are some patterns on there that I think she'd like.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Robert Clark
Well done Mrs C - welcome to the word of crochet. Even though the YouTube videos are very good, not everyone can master them. You have produced an Irish Crochet flower which also looks good worked in cotton. Quite a few techniques mastered there.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

View attachment 312970
Well done Mrs C ! A purple one would look lovely too!!!?
Lis when we meet up you can havea go at teaching me many have tried but I’m a failure!!!?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just a bit worried she may turn that teeny weenie innocent looking bunting triangle into a cod piece for me to wear
I was going to be rude and say that’s a large triangle but.....???

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I finally got round to doing a Virus Shawl pattern. I had some lightweight yarn from a charity shop and quite like the result although I might undo it and use a larger hook to make it lacier.

It has just the right level of interest to keep me occupied but able to watch TV at the same time :)
View attachment 313694

View attachment 313696
Janine is that diagram the only pattern you get? :(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Unfortunately yes. It takes a while to work it out but isn't difficult once you get going.

Google virus shawl and see if you can get a written one?

I thought I had 'got it' then couldn't find how it jumped from 2 on the left to 3 over on right. Will try again this weekend. Thanks for posting.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Here we have a fairly terrible photo of a very pretty piece of knitting. Shame it took mumble attempts to get this far! I’m combining two patterns - general construction, sizing and gauge from one, lace, seed stitch edging and rib from another. First I got the construction right but forgot the rib channel. Then I forgot the faux seem and also that I wanted five lace repeats on the back, not three. Then I got as far as the third lace repeat, but the second repeat wasn’t right (I think I’m missed a row) and also the cast on wasn’t great, so I thought I would start again and perfect that. Three attempts at the cast on (I used alternating cable, and kept losing track, and also was being a perfectionist on getting it matching up on the seed stitch and rib portions). Then I got all the the was up to centering the lace repeats in the panels, before I discovered I had cast it on too few stitches (by about fifty)

I do sometime feel that I only get a finished object by running out of mistakes to make!

It wouldn’t be so bad, but the base cardigan is a dream to knit, and I finished the last one, with no major mistakes (there’s an actual first) in three weeks. So I was expecting to zoom through it. Still, I think I’ve done all the hard bits now, so it should be plain sailing from here.

I’m just planning what knitting to take when we go off on our travels in two weeks. I’m not expecting the yellow cardigan to be finished, so that will come along. I’m a glutton for punishment, and it fits nicely so I may take yarn for another, pink I think. I really want a nice cable jumper so that’s coming too, but I’m worried I will be too hot knitting dk in France and Italy, so I’m taking a laceweight silk shawl. Of course, I’m unlikely to finish any of them, with full time driving, catering, maintenance and childcare, but I like to have a choice and it’s not like I’m stuck for space in my suitcase (No, I really didn’t buy a motorhome so that I could take more yarn projects on holiday, that’s just a bonus. Although it is pretty handy you when you’re shopping at yarn festivals.....)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article Wellington. I often consider adapting patterns to knit fronts and back in one piece but it fries my tiny brain so I always end up just following the pattern.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I have decided to make one of those things that dangle several toys over a cot... and after all these years I have discovered that you can cast on using a big loop of wool to start off, then pull it tight to create the start of a circle/square, etc. This is a revelation I am sure most of you know already. My mother taught me to crochet using a brass curtain hook to hook around, as that was easier for my chubby little fingers to hold while working. Not sure how many brass curtain hooks lie around waiting for a small child to learn to crochet these days, but a small keyring might serve the purpose. I have thus far made one teeny tiny experimental ball ... may have put a couple too many stitches on starting row, but it has potential to be a neat looking start.2E3AB6E8-FBC3-40E4-B7DA-A9CB1EC30B35.jpeg

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article Wellington. I often consider adapting patterns to knit fronts and back in one piece but it fries my tiny brain so I always end up just following the pattern.

I generally choose patterns that are already converted. The current one is a (slightly adapted) Audrey-in-Unst by Gudrun Johnson, and I would highly recommend it. It’s beautifully written, and very clear. I find sewing up an enormous chore, which means I put it off, and it takes so long to finish anything, especially with my penchant for making every possible mistake before I get to the end!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've not been crocheting much recently, but have finished a baby quilt. The baby has just been born which is a real result as I thought he'd be about 6 months old by the time I finished it!

That is beautiful. So neat.
I finally finished grandson’s quilt/ picnic blanket 5 months late and at 3rd attempt. I’ve got so much fabric I had to unpick I’m going to make it into bags to fill at Christmas for Torbay homeless project.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I've not been crocheting much recently, but have finished a baby quilt. The baby has just been born which is a real result as I thought he'd be about 6 months old by the time I finished it!

I still have a quilt in pieces that I planned for my baby niece. She’s fifteen now. I think my mum has one in pieces for my daughter, who is nine. (We have both made many other lovely things for all the children, I promise!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back