LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks that would be great. It'll be interesting to see how much smaller it is than the dozens of baby cardigan patterns I already have .
I have sent you photos of the pattern on a pm

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
@Rolly Your Shetland shawl is a work of art - it must have taken you ages. Love the sheep. What are you going to make next?

@Offagain I am making some progress with the octopus but oh dear the stories on the website have me in tears. I have no personal experience of premature babies or stillborns but can feel the pain of those parents who go through the loss. I think I spend as long on the octopusforapreemie.com website as I do on motorhomefun so no real work done these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am in the WI and the local hospital contacted us asking us if we would knit them, you may find a local fb group do it ?

I have quite a lot of spare fabric at home and have joined a fb group who sew mastectomy pillows and drain bags which are posted out to individuals and hospitals.

The Knit and Natter group I joined make clothing for new born babies and one of the members takes them to the hospital. They have to be easily washed.

I also made quite a lot (sewing) of anti ouch pouches

http://www.patternpile.com/sewing-p...ouch-pouch-breast-cancer-treatment-pillowbag/

Been to ALDI and bought 4 packs of fat quarters .....so I am ready to start a quilt for the baby’s crib:)
I resisted buying any more wool:lipssealed:

I resisted the fabric and bought wool :) lots of wool :) :) lots and lots and lots of wool :) :) :)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Question for you ladies
I want to make a cot quilt I have the fat quarters and have been looking online at wadding .........I’m confused there seems to be all different types.:cry:
I’ve seen an iron on one.......would it be suitable? Or should I go for a different one?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Question for you ladies
I want to make a cot quilt I have the fat quarters and have been looking online at wadding .........I’m confused there seems to be all different types.:cry:
I’ve seen an iron on one.......would it be suitable? Or should I go for a different one?

Iron on wadding has a glue on it so the finished products might not be quite so soft.

Get some nice long quilting pins and use them to hold the 'sandwich' in place while you stitch it together.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
The Knit and Natter group I joined make clothing for new born babies and one of the members takes them to the hospital. They have to be easily washed.

I also made quite a lot (sewing) of anti ouch pouches

http://www.patternpile.com/sewing-p...ouch-pouch-breast-cancer-treatment-pillowbag/
I’ve never heard of them. Who do you give them to once you've made them?

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
The start of a filet crochet table runner:
20190204_140658.jpg

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@davanne Hello Anne. I have been researching wadding because my Big C group are going to be making a baby blocks quilt and someone told me that babies under a year old shouldn't have them. Check on line but it was suggested a quilt would be better lined with a blanket. I think the last site I looked at was Lady Sew and Sew and their recommendation was for Tuscany Washable Wool - a piece 45" x 60" £12 plus postage. I can only assume a young baby cannot move the quilt from its face. Whatever solution I come up with, my ladies are going to knot their layers together and won't be quilting because we cannot use sewing machines.

Sincerely, Auntie Pam (I always sign off like that when I'm being a busybody and handing out advice):LOL:

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
@davanne Hello Anne. I have been researching wadding because my Big C group are going to be making a baby blocks quilt and someone told me that babies under a year old shouldn't have them. Check on line but it was suggested a quilt would be better lined with a blanket. I think the last site I looked at was Lady Sew and Sew and their recommendation was for Tuscany Washable Wool - a piece 45" x 60" £12 plus postage. I can only assume a young baby cannot move the quilt from its face. Whatever solution I come up with, my ladies are going to knot their layers together and won't be quilting because we cannot use sewing machines.

Sincerely, Auntie Pam (I always sign off like that when I'm being a busybody and handing out advice):LOL:
This is indeed the current thinking and belief.
And why sleeping bags for infants are all the rage.
However, the quilt you make could be used as a floor quilt for putting the baby on during tummy time etc. And they will have it as a keepsake when they’re grown up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I’ve never heard of them. Who do you give them to once you've made them?

(Anti Ouch Pouch) one given to my nephew's wife who was diagnosed in her mid-30s and the others I give to the MacMillan Unit in my local hospital, after the first couple which were greeted with some skepticism (I left my phone number) I got a phone call to ask if I could make more as the first two had been much admired and proven to be useful. Always follow the instructions exactly as the person who wrote them tested extensively.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

This is indeed the current thinking and belief.
And why sleeping bags for infants are all the rage.
However, the quilt you make could be used as a floor quilt for putting the baby on during tummy time etc. And they will have it as a keepsake when they’re grown up.

Beaten to it! I always suggest a quilt is used from a year onwards on the bed but to use as a playmat or a snuggle with Mummy quilt before that.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The tiny preemie clothes and blankets are a wonderful resource in the NICUs. My granddaughter was born 13 weeks prem and it was a big day when she could wear clothes for the first time. In the very early days the incubators are kept at a high humidity so clothes would just get damp, and I presume that would cool the babies. The first clothes she had were so tiny that even prem ones I managed to find in shops were too big for her. The NICU where she spent the first 9 weeks had 2 purpose built cupboards, all fitted, automatic lighting and stocked with hats, jackets, and tiny blankets. I know all the parents on the unit were grateful for all the items they could borrow, and I think each baby got to keep one outfit.
As well as the brilliant staff it was a lovely state of the art unit funded mostly by James Dyson.
I know many hospitals will appreciate any tiny items that are made. Check what their criteria are as the Bath ones had to be washed and tumble dried before being accepted.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Finished my quilt. I’m onto a Winnie the Pooh one now for my nieces baby. Unfortunately I’ve discovered from this thread they can’t use them! So it is going to be a playmat.
A3F07BDA-C86A-4BD8-B331-DC420FD2C617.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
One of our girls just sent me this link:

Reflective wool!
Then I had to have a look at their other sale stock and found this:
which looks interesting.

That would be great as leg warmer type things for cycling :)

Or get some spray on adhesive to hold it in place. It'll dissolve when the quilt is washed.

Don't use too much as it sticks to the needle and gums it up.

Finished my quilt. I’m onto a Winnie the Pooh one now for my nieces baby. Unfortunately I’ve discovered from this thread they can’t use them! So it is going to be a playmat.
View attachment 281818

Or used as a blanket to hold baby during feeding time :) The 3 year old we are currently playing with has his first quilt which was used as a play mat, a cuddle mat and then a nap blanket on his bed and still uses it as a comfort blanket when he isn't feeling well.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Aly1 Don't be disheartened - it's only for a wee while before it can be used as a quilt and a play mat is even more useful once little one is on the floor. The colours are lovely. How did you cope with the diamonds - did you do it over papers? Tell us more about the Winnie the Pooh quilt.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
@Aly1 Don't be disheartened - it's only for a wee while before it can be used as a quilt and a play mat is even more useful once little one is on the floor. The colours are lovely. How did you cope with the diamonds - did you do it over papers? Tell us more about the Winnie the Pooh quilt.
The colourful quilt is all machine pieced. The diamonds start as an oblong and have squares joined diagonally at both ends.
I am really cheating on Winnie the Pooh because I’m using a full panel and not using any patchwork! I’m just trying to decide how to quilt it.
Suggestions welcome.
75FEE4FA-6887-455A-97FB-88435833315B.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C41742F-05BB-4C72-A8DC-67234D4A7BF2.jpeg
    4C41742F-05BB-4C72-A8DC-67234D4A7BF2.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 9

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries