Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Do a chain of say 21 stitches.
2nd row-Turn to do next row, miss the stitch nearest your hook.
Put hook into next stitch, yarn(y) round(r) hook(h) and pull thru stitch, yrh (see brackets)-two loops on hook, yrh and pull thru both loops-one loop on hook.
Work your way back to first stitch you should have 20 stitches.
To start your 3rd row turn and make one chain then follow the 2nd row instructions.
Hope this helps.

Thanks .. yes it helps. It's simple things that confuse me .. I think too deeply. Now I know the first slip not does NOT count as a stitch when casting on .. I need to practise recognising which is the last stitch too.:)

Logging off and will go have anothe go before watching video for squares. :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh @snailtrailer Pam, the FCC has only just started its a brilliant way to encourage one another with our efforts and advice, I've a feeling if it's alright with you that your work has only just started, along with the other lady's who have already been helping us crocheting newbies.

I got the 99p @big map put on from Asda tonight, good value and it's got hexagons in it. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Another thought....
When you start your crochet you do a length of chains (stitches) to start with do them quite loose, when you turn to go back for the second row you will find it easier to see the stitches, once you get the hang of the make-up of the stitches you can tighten up your starting chain next time.:)
Thanks for that I realised onthe way back on my chain I had pulled them too tight !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning all, another tip here. If you find the initial chain is a bit tight, try doing that with a larger hook maybe one size up. Then swap to the hook you want to use for all subsequent rows.
I'll second the recommendation for the Attic 24 site. I've made a few of her things, she does very clear, easy to follow instructions.

Best of luck all, Lorraine x

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have to say I definitely initially found watching videos the easiest way, I did have to keep stopping/ rewinding over and over to start with.

From there I started writing down instructions in a way I understood. Now I can read a simple pattern although I have to look up some of the abbreviations. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lorraine Loving the tip for the change in hook size I found my chain was so tight I couldn't get the hook in !
Another day another go!
@snailtrailer Auntie Pam hope you have had a better sleep at home take care.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I’m having real problems controlling the wool with my left hand....any tips anyone ...my coordination isn’t brilliant so ant tips gratefully received

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello - it's me.
So pleased to see @The Happy Hooker joining in and thanks to all the crochet experts for helping out with their tips.
If you can master this skill it's great to take with you in hospital waiting rooms for clinics or even on long journeys if you're not driving.

I think I'll ditch the four strands of machine knitting wool and, when I get out of bed later, will go in search of double knitting yarn. Now where do I keep it?:LOL:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@davanne - when I get up I'll have a fiddle and see what I can come up with. An old lady (in her 90s) had a way of crocheting which seemed like knitting but meanwhile we'll ask the experts shall we?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I’m having real problems controlling the wool with my left hand....any tips anyone ...my coordination isn’t brilliant so ant tips gratefully received

As the dunce of the group about to be joined by another ( you know who you are when you pmd me.. ;) ) .... I might be wrong... but ...
I had that problem till I thought .. aaah .. the left hand doesn't need to co-ordinate the wool .. it is just there to hold it quite loosely. The HOOK co-ordinates the wool .. passing it under and over ..

Hope that helps but more importantly hope it is correct. If not, PLEASE correct me . .I won't be offended.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
As the dunce of the group about to be joined by another ( you know who you are when you pmd me.. ;) ) .... I might be wrong... but ...
I had that problem till I thought .. aaah .. the left hand doesn't need to co-ordinate the wool .. it is just there to hild it quite loosely. The HOOK co-ordinates the wool .. passing it under and over ..

Hope that helps but more importantly hope it is correct. If not, PLEASE correct me . .I won't be offended.
Thanks Joy I’ll give that a try I think I’ve been trying too hard to maybe do something that I don’t need to. Back to the drawing board.

Oh and thanks Pamela hope you are feeling ok today.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Another thing I would add is stick to uk terms. The American terms are sometimes slightly different. Stick to one or the other.
As are the French terms....

I am right handed. I help to control the working thread / tension by holding the completed work between my left thumb and forefinger of the left hand and have the working thread between my third and ring finger (again the left hand) . Not as if I am strangling it but with just enough grip to allow it to slide when I need it and clamped when I don't want more yarn.

Magic loop / ring photos to follow :)

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Magic loop or ring part one

100_8855.JPG I am right handed.

Here is my yarn draped over the forefinger of my left hand. The working end (the bit that feeds into the ball of yarn) is at the top.

100_8856.JPG Working end brought down behind the finger, back to the front and over the tail (cut) end. In the photo the working end has dropped down behind my finger but don't worry about this.

100_8857.JPG Left thumb (same hand as the wrapped forefinger) holding the crossover in place. You can just see the working end held between my middle finger and ring finger.

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello - it's me.
So pleased to see @The Happy Hooker joining in and thanks to all the crochet experts for helping out with their tips.
If you can master this skill it's great to take with you in hospital waiting rooms for clinics or even on long journeys if you're not driving.

I think I'll ditch the four strands of machine knitting wool and, when I get out of bed later, will go in search of double knitting yarn. Now where do I keep it?:LOL:

I went to a class in my local wool shop about 5 years ago which got me going. I'd been looking at written instructions for a while, but hadn't been able to make sense of them at all. Once I'd been shown, it made a real difference & got me going with my first blanket which was just a small square that I added more & more rows to :). For some reason, it never occurred to me to look on utube.......

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Magic loop or ring part two

100_8858.JPG hook inserted under the yarn wrapped around the finger above the crossing which is still held in place by my thumb, and working yarn put over the hook.

100_8859.JPG Pulling the hook and working yarn under the yarn wrapped around my finger - this is now the start of the loop (or ring or whatever you want to call it - no magic yet!)

Now work two chain (the number of chain will vary depending on the pattern but don't stress about this at the moment - or ever - the number of chain depends on your pattern and I am going to do a first ring of double stitches so need two chain - a treble would need three chain).

Now slip the ring off your finger. It doesn't matter if the cut (non working) end is above or below the ring.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Magic loop or ring part three

100_8864.JPG

Sorry that photo isn't very clear, I am holding the loop / ring under the shaft of the hook and you can see the two chain.

The two chain count as the first double crochet (dc) and I work 7 additional dc into the loop / ring

100_8866.JPG

You can see the centre of the loop / ring is quite large so it is easy to work into but doesn't look very nice. Don't panic - the magic happens here .....

After you have made 8 dc (the chain starter and 7 additional dc) pull the non working end of the yarn and the centre will close up. You may have to be quite firm about it but with some persuasion it will happen :) You will sew the end in when you have done a few more rounds or when you finish the work. Some people like to sew all the ends in when they are done, some like to sew as they go.

Slip stitch the round closed.

100_8867.JPG
100_8868.JPG
You can see how the centre is now fully closed and neat.

100_8869.JPG The next round I start with two chain (counts as a dc), dc in the space immediately after the chain and then 2 dc in each space afterwards - if I had finished the round I would have had 16 dc and spaces .......

That is how I do a magic loop or ring. In a pattern you would use that instead of a ring of chain and slip stitch join at the very start of a granny square worked from the inside out and then work the pattern as normal from the following round.

It's much harder to explain than to actually do and I rarely use a chain and slip stitch start these days as I like the tight centre the magic loop / ring provides.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Hello folks. How are you all getting on - I haven't seen many pictures lately. I decided to join in with the granny squares and found a big box of tapestry threads in assorted colours. I shall carry on doing different colours for each round until a whole skein completes the row then I shall edge each square with cream.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello folks. How are you all getting on - I haven't seen many pictures lately. I decided to join in with the granny squares and found a big box of tapestry threads in assorted colours. I shall carry on doing different colours for each round until a whole skein completes the row then I shall edge each square with cream.

Pam I didn't understand that but look forward ho photos as it will come clear to me then. :)

I have just spent the day getting used to handling the needle and wool and basic single stitch.

@Shrimp I think I have sussed why I kept losing a stitch. I was so mntent on not going into the turning stitch, I was actually going into the 2nd stitch instead of the next one. (I think)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Pam I didn't understand that but look forward ho photos as it will come clear to me then. :)

I have just spent the day getting used to handling the needle and wool and basic single stitch.

@Shrimp I think I have sussed why I kept losing a stitch. I was so mntent on not going into the turning stitch, I was actually going into the 2nd stitch instead of the next one. (I think)
Joy that’s what I’ve been doing too getting used to handling the wool and needle ....think I’m getting a little better at it but the number of times I’ve undone and restarted is ridiculous :giggler: can only get better

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I decided to try and make myself a hat with some Chinese bizarre wool I bought. There’s a technical hitch though I think my heads too big for it so I might have to find a friend with a smaller head LOL

The Puff stitch took a bit of getting used to but it increases the size nice and quickly.
image.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I decided to try and make myself a hat with some Chinese bizarre wool I bought. There’s a technical hitch though I think my heads too big for it so I might have to find a friend with a smaller head LOL

The Puff stitch took a bit of getting used to but it increases the size nice and quickly.View attachment 217931

That is beautiful .. you clever sausage. Hope I can do that one day. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

The Puff stitch took a bit of getting used to but it increases the size nice and quickly.View attachment 217931
Darn, you didn't show me that one, looks lovely

Kath x

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well I have tried all afternoon to do the blanket squares ( sort of a four leaf clover type with a hole in the middle) .. and decided I may be rubbish at this .. :( I am really stubborn and don't give up easily but this has had me wishing I had alcohol in the house. :(

It is supposed to be the start of a square but it looks like a bike wheel. I can't for the life of me work out what she is telling me to do next ... :( ... this is just bigger than a 50p piece.

.. and yes I said square NOT circle. Any advice welcomed.

20180308_192218.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back