OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
@Puddleduck Yes Wars are such a terrible waste of life and I do get bothered with all the war films that are shown on TV which do seem to glorify war. While we were at Sutton on Sea we visited Alford during their craft weekend. While Derek was visiting the Museum of Country Life (I stayed outside with the dog) I was reading two huge posters all about the horses that died or were injured in World War I. Very moving and something I knew little about. I might make some purple poppies if I can get my hands on some purple wool or perhaps someone else could make a few more in purple on my behalf.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
@Puddleduck Yes Wars are such a terrible waste of life and I do get bothered with all the war films that are shown on TV which do seem to glorify war. While we were at Sutton on Sea we visited Alford during their craft weekend. While Derek was visiting the Museum of Country Life (I stayed outside with the dog) I was reading two huge posters all about the horses that died or were injured in World War I. Very moving and something I knew little about. I might make some purple poppies if I can get my hands on some purple wool or perhaps someone else could make a few more in purple on my behalf.

I’m doing purple poppies for that very reason :(
I went to Aldi and bought a pack of purple sparkly wool...looks very effective

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
HELP! @snailtrailer @Jenben and ALL ...

have a problem ...

I bought a pattern for a sweater from the lovely wool shop in Sutton on Sea .... then decided I would get the wool from there but when I went back she didn't stock it. I asked if Chunky wool would do instead she said No.

I have been on ebay and cannot find the wool stated .. ( or should I say it doesn't look the same) .... it is called

MEGA CHUNKY WOOL

ANY advice welcomed.

Try this website:

https://yarnsub.com/

Or have a read of this:

https://www.tangled-yarn.co.uk/blogs/news/17500788-yarn-matchmaker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

I will buy some purple wool today Pamela and do them on behalf of both of us. Xxx

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
SECOND REQUEST FOR HELP

Struggled to find a pattern that fully meets my requirements and on Google found two.

But it states a charge and says "Download as PDF'

I havn't a clue what this means .. I am technophobic. Can I do this to my phone? HOW? CAN I print it off?

Thank you.

Download as a pdf allows you to download the pattern to your phone or whatever, save it and print it off when you can. Or send me the link, I'll download it, print it off and post it to you?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks J
Download as a pdf allows you to download the pattern to your phone or whatever, save it and print it off when you can. Or send me the link, I'll download it, print it off and post it to you?
Thanks Janine ... will check that out when I get back from MOT ...... car that is, not me. ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
48,133 less 10 = 48,123
========

Joy I totally agree with everything you have said ....ignore the negativity Helen .......I too feel proud that we are a group ladies who most had no idea how to crochet a couple of months ago and look what we have achieved .

@Puddleduck Yes Wars are such a terrible waste of life I was reading two huge posters all about the horses that died or were injured in World War I. Very moving and something I knew little about.

There are no winners in war - there are only survivors. The poppies are not a glorification of war but commemorate all who died in war - human, equine, canine, pigeon - many who had no choice but to go regardless of nationality, colour, creed etc etc

I always think the nay-sayers are quite ignorant of why the memorials are there and what the poppies mean. I do get a wee bit cross when people wear medals they are not entitled to, or on the wrong side, or for the wrong reasons.

HELP!

I have been on ebay and cannot find the wool stated .. ( or should I say it doesn't look the same) .... it is called

MEGA CHUNKY WOOL

ANY advice welcomed.

Mega Chunky is thicker than even chunky. If you could give us the tension it states on the pattern we might be able to suggest an alternative...... The tension advice is usually near the start of the pattern where it gives needle or hook size.

As long as the tension is correct you can use any yarn that makes up to that tension. Sometimes you can use two strands of yarn together as long as the tension works up correctly. If you post or message me with the tension I will try working two strands of aran together to see if that gets anywhere near :) - oh, knit or crochet?

Hope the MOT goes smoothly.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My mum has just sent me a photo of life sized (not sure whether adult or baby :LOL:) hedgehogs she's made.

She's sending them to her great grand-daughters.

None for her daughter :D.

Screenshot_20180531-161123.png

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

- ANOTHER 4 purple from myself and Snailtrailer

= 48,102
=======

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It’s almost there Judith only got to make another 21 flowers stitch them on and then do the edging:) how’s yours progressing?

I've probably done a quarter if it. Had a minor setback today cos my new white wool is not as white as the original so I'll have to get some more on Monday. I can still make squares that don't have white bits :LOL:.

Mum sent me a pattern for another design (more complicated to my novice eyes) and is going to make some squares for me. Don't know when I'll advance to that one!

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Wound off another cone today because it was a but grubby. Full of knots so I tied contrasting colour between each cut off thread - now I'm wondering if it's worth washing it - only about 200 grams. Just had a thought I'll make it into pompoms:LOL:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
10 poppies sent from me they are with Mew, plus those that Judy and Maurice will be bringing up for me as well
. 48,067

I have to say a big thankyou to Irene (mrs @tonka) for red and black wool for my next 100 poppies plus another ball of red wool from another kind Funster. So I shall start making them soon x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back