LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh dear .. before I go onto the next bit ... don't even know if there IS an answer to this so don't worry ..:( I have noticed I do one row and I have 25 stitches ... I do the next and I have 26. I do another 25. Yhen 26 then 25 then 26 ... I don't THINK I am doing anything different .. but every alternate row changes the number of stitches ... weird.... :confused:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad you will soon be home @snailtrailer

Every time I go to get my camera to show the magic ring / start either the phone rings or someone comes to the door :(

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Has anyone watched the Bella Coco video on YouTube. - Did it help?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Pamela so pleased to hear your news and you are going home take care and I’ll do some crocheting this afternoon!.
I’m so happy got youXx

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Oh dear .. before I go onto the next bit ... don't even know if there IS an answer to this so don't worry ..:( I have noticed I do one row and I have 25 stitches ... I do the next and I have 26. I do another 25. Yhen 26 then 25 then 26 ... I don't THINK I am doing anything different .. but every alternate row changes the number of stitches ... weird.... :confused:

There’s crocheting and then there’s crocheting ‘a ‘la Joy ..... it could never be anything but weird and wonderful ;)

I’ve collected 6 assorted hooks from my mum and a ball of wool so will start after I’ve attended a funeral this afternoon, gone to ukes tonight and proofread our Rob’s 8000 word essay on the recovery from mental illness (which has to be handed in tomorrow) :mad:

The wool is blue - is anyone expecting a baby boy on here ......?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There’s crocheting and then there’s crocheting ‘a ‘la Joy ..... it could never be anything but weird and wonderful ;)

I’ve collected 6 assorted hooks from my mum and a ball of wool so will start after I’ve attended a funeral this afternoon, gone to ukes tonight and proofread our Rob’s 8000 word essay on the recovery from mental illness (which has to be handed in tomorrow) :mad:

The wool is blue - is anyone expecting a baby boy on here ......?

Yes ... but you'd better not have wiggly edges.. he does not like wiggly edges ... :eek:
stock-photo-weird-doll-314112110.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@snailtrailer Yes . I did my homework ..I watched the beginning part of the you tube ... casting on ... then single crochet ... :) was quite good. Will follow it as you teach us.

Thank you.

PS it would appear that I am the only one who did the homework you set. Do I get a gold star?:love:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I
@snailtrailer Yes . I did my homework ..I watched the beginning part of the you tube ... casting on ... then single crochet ... :) was quite good. Will follow it as you teach us.

Thank you.

PS it would appear that I am the only one who did the homework you set. Do I get a gold star?:love:
I've started to watch but it's 24 minutes long and I've got things to do although nothing like Ger so I will watch later!
I'm finding it difficult to go back alone he chain and keep casting on like knitting!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Thank you.

Teachers pet!!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I

I've started to watch but it's 24 minutes long and I've got things to do although nothing like Ger so I will watch later!
I'm finding it difficult to go back alone he chain and keep casting on like knitting!

Don't worry darlin... I'll help you ..I'm good at this!!!!!
article-2242722-1657FE04000005DC-339_634x474.jpg

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you Pam, hadn't thought of using two strands, found hooks but no wool at the gypsy market ...

Welcome home, hope you are feeling better

Kath x

pawwavingpuppy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Here in lovely South Devon
Funster No
I follow this site as well she makes some lovely blankets. I've made quite a few myself

www.attic24.typepad.com

She uses mostly Stylecraft DK wool - I buy mine on EBay, it's great value and it's nice and soft for blankets - at my last count I had about 50 balls in some lovely shades.
I also use Pinterest for inspiration for colour combinations. Just search 'yarn colour combinations'
Hope you're all having fun!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome home @snailtrailer dont over do it, bet it's good to be home,

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The lovely @Riverbankannie is in touch with me on pm's as I am supposed to be starting to learn to knit next week with her help once my little 2yr old grandaughter tells me what colour wool she wants her cardigan out of...o_O

Ha ha ha I honestly believed I would be crocheting for England now. If anybody mocks us wimmin for working so hard to learn, I will make them one of these. ;)

marriage-relationships-pensioner-saga-elder-older-pc-gckn303_low.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I have just been watching YouTube and found the crochet section by asking How to Crochet. The first one I watched was crochet for beginners Part 1 . I thought it was really good and, apart from perhaps another thread over seemed to be the same technique I used.

The second video was the Bella Coca on how to do Granny Squares. I think she said at the beginning that there are several ways of doing it but I think her method is good. Further videos on circles and variations are there so I think my job is done. Pictures are so useful and will satisfy @movan Joy's need to see the instructions are in print. I hope @Hollyberry you have started but persevere with these two particular videos.

A word about using this method by just adding more rounds can result in a rather floppy blanket. By choosing to do Granny Squares you actually gain firmness in the way you join the squares together (there seems to be a video on that too.) and Granny Squares are great for using up scraps of wool.

@Carol There is a video too on hexagons so within a very short time you could have mastered all these stitches and on the way to getting your lap rug or whatever. One a day has been suggested before.(y)

@davanne I hope this is going to work for you. I see from the pictures there is a lot of movement for the fingers but your new crochet hook may help. It seems to have a good hooky end.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( but you will still keep our club going won't you ..

We would fold without a Leader.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Tunisian Crochet is fine for squares, it uses more wool and gives a really thick fabric. My squares are square, sorry not had problems with slanting squares, there should be a fix on Internet.
I used Tunisian to crochet two identical squares-sewed together back to back-makes a good hot pot stand!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Another thought....
When you start your crochet you do a length of chains (stitches) to start with do them quite loose, when you turn to go back for the second row you will find it easier to see the stitches, once you get the hang of the make-up of the stitches you can tighten up your starting chain next time.:)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Another thought....
When you start your crochet you do a length of chains (stitches) to start with do them quite loose, when you turn to go back for the second row you will find it easier to see the stitches, once you get the hang of the make-up of the stitches you can tighten up your starting chain next time.:)
I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong when I do my turning chain stitch .... but can't work out what!!

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Good point there @Shrimp and once you've made your starting chain, however wobbly. just get on with row 1, row 2 etc. and your flow will develop. As I said earlier I would prefer to start everyone on an already worked piece and initially avoid the first row after the starting chain. @movan Joy I am still here to answer any queries and to admire everyone's first attempts. They are all good and look so much better on the laptop. My sample showing the four threads looks awful because of the focus.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong when I do my turning chain stitch .... but can't work out what!!

Do a chain of say 21 stitches.
2nd row-Turn to do next row, miss the stitch nearest your hook.
Put hook into next stitch, yarn(y) round(r) hook(h) and pull thru stitch, yrh (see brackets)-two loops on hook, yrh and pull thru both loops-one loop on hook.
Work your way back to first stitch you should have 20 stitches.
To start your 3rd row turn and make one chain then follow the 2nd row instructions.
Hope this helps.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Good point there @Shrimp and once you've made your starting chain, however wobbly. just get on with row 1, row 2 etc. and your flow will develop. As I said earlier I would prefer to start everyone on an already worked piece and initially avoid the first row after the starting chain. @movan Joy I am still here to answer any queries and to admire everyone's first attempts. They are all good and look so much better on the laptop. My sample showing the four threads looks awful because of the focus.

Don't undersell ... they look amazing to me. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back