OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Once you have the holding positions of hook and yarn, any variation of crochet stitches depends on how many times the yarn is wrapped over the hook before or after inserting the hook.

Let’s get started shall we.........

Hold the c/h in your right hand between thumb and third finger (like holding a pen) and insert hook into loop of slip knot. Hold the short end with little finger of r/h and catch hold of ball thread with the left hand. Weave it around fingers to secure the yarn - and to keep it taut. The forefinger of the l/h does all the work of directing the yarn.
Ready to go?
Thread taut ? duck under the ball thread left to right and back across c/h right to left and pull through slip stitch
- releasing the short end and holding this between thumb and finger on l/h means you now have control and as you create more stitches you can move the thumb up the chain to keep it flat and avoid twisting.
Repeat the ducking to make another chain and keep doing this until you have a rhythm and the yarn flows through your fingers.

If you make a mistake just pull gently until you get back to a loop and carry on.

Phew! If you get the chain going then we’ve cracked it and the following instructions will be a piece of cake. Just ask if you need help.

I have found that if you hold the tail in your r/h little finger and back to the l/h thumb it keeps it steady.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Sorry I’m late. Dentist appointment. Bad news . . .it appears that I have eaten a crown . . .
A few things to do at home and then I am on it. Having never used a crochet hook before, in my mind, I will have completed a blanket by teatime!

Lorraine x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I’m in, would love to learn but I’m sans hook so once I’ve got one I’ll give it a go.

My grandmother crocheted me a white tennis dress when I was 14, unfortunately it was both see through and too small. I’m pretty sure she used a pattern from the 1920’s and as this was 1981 you can imagine the reaction I got at PE.

It left me mentally scarred and not fond of either tennis or crocheting :rofl:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Proceed at your own pace but for the benefit of those who can do a successful chain. Let’s move on.

Assuming you have 30 - 50 chains, start to work back along the row. Turn and leaving first chain (henceforth known as turning chain). As before using the ducking motion insert hook into each chain back to the knot (slip knot).
Make one turning chain at the beginning and work back across the row. As you progress you will find the work easier to hold. Insert hook under the whole stitch, wrap and pull back through two loops.

If things go wrong you can always pull it out and start again. The flatter you can keep the chain and stop it twisting the easier it will be to see which chain you should be putting the c/h in.

However, if things go well you can vary the stitch by doing two turning chains at the start of the row; wrapping the yarn once before inserting the hook into the stitch; wrap again and pull back through two loops; wrap again and pull back through remaining loops.

With that variation you have the basis to start a Granny square.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
PAmela thanks for lesson one,I had bendy yoga then a Chinese buffet lunch then off to the market for wool and hooks ! So much choice of hooks ! Soft touch ones looked good Anne @davanne .
6642F78C-3BD0-49F5-B039-90CEC19E2AC2.jpeg

Joy are you having a go when you get back from the hospital?hope alls well.
I’ll let you know how I get on!!
@Jenben i found a little pot of buttons for you!
7BEE2DCB-6A67-4055-986A-E174444B6FC7.jpeg

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@movan I’ve only just got the link to the little girl’ dress. I am sure I have a pattern at home that I made for my Sarah which I will send to you.
@Carol start collecting your scraps of yarn. Hexagons like this project can be double knit or two strands of 3 or 4 ply.

As for the tea set, that is a crochet technique known as Amigurami which is crochet in rounds rather than rows. I am hoping to make cute animals and got a book from the library where someone else has done the calculations.

@davanne I hope you can get all your fingers and thumbs working for you. It is possible crochet could be good for you but don’t get frustrated with it.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@movan I’ve only just got the link to the little girl’ dress. I am sure I have a pattern at home that I made for my Sarah which I will send to you.
@Carol start collecting your scraps of yarn. Hexagons like this project can be double knit or two strands of 3 or 4 ply.

As for the tea set, that is a crochet technique known as Amigurami which is crochet in rounds rather than rows. I am hoping to make cute animals and got a book from the library where someone else has done the calculations.
I’m still at the making a slip knot stage!
Did I tell you I’m a slow learner!!(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
View attachment 217353 I've got a secret yearning to make something like this, maybe a bit ambitious

No reason why you shouldn’t be able to make that Afghan (blanket) the easy way is to learn how to do the six sided sections then put them together!

I would have thought that was the only way to do it! Once you have made one hex it is a matter of patience to make enough - but if you give yourself a target of one (or two or however many) a day/evening when you are away it is achievable.

I’m still at the making a slip knot stage!
Did I tell you I’m a slow learner!!(y)
That's the hard part! If you do circular (or square or hex) blocks you don't even need the slip knot ;) as you can start with a magic circle - but that is for another time.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I would have thought that was the only way to do it! Once you have made one hex it is a matter of patience to make enough - but if you give yourself a target of one (or two or however many) a day/evening when you are away it is achievable.

That's the hard part! If you do circular (or square or hex) blocks you don't even need the slip knot ;) as you can start with a magic circle - but that is for another time.
You lost me on magic circle ;)

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Puddleduck. I’m struggling to describe how to do a magic circle so that it can be held securely so I resorted to a few chain stitches joined in a circle. Can you help me out please? Also have I described a treble or half treble!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@snailtrailer Auntie Pam, my chain isn't very even and I tend to be doing it with my right hand the left doesn't want to do it?
Answer at your leisure as you must rest in hospital! ( it will be exciting jelly time soon!!)
IMG_0903.JPG

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@Anthea M @Carol. I am so thrilled to see your examples. It really is all about how you feel comfortable holding the hook and taking some control of the yarn. Practice practice practice and it’ll come.

I will wait until I get home to write up the instructions for circles and hexagons and introducing other stitches so you’ve plenty of time before rushing into hexagons.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just back from our month of babysitting - I took my second sewing machine and worked my way through a huge pile of mending. Martin floored a loft in the house where we were staying, did some rewiring* and lots of other DIY stuff including fitting a loft ladder. *The rewiring was needed as he found that wires had been put over halogen lights under insulation and as a result the insulation round the wires had perished and in a couple of cases there was shorting out. So close to a major fire........

I used 500 metres of thread over the month :)

I like to crochet and knit and sew - if you knit circular needles are great for traveling, much easier to pack. With circular needles spend a bit more money and get decent ones, the cheap ones don't have a smooth join between needle and cord and will catch the yarn and drive you crazy. People who use cheap circular needles often say they hate using a circular needle when it is the cheap needle they hate. I have "Basix" and "Nova" circular needles :)

I can show how to crochet at any of the Scottish Rallies but will ask for a small donation to my charity!

I don't know how to highlight but....floored a loft, did some rewiring, fitted a loft ladder...sewing....

Please will you adopt me ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck. I’m struggling to describe how to do a magic circle so that it can be held securely so I resorted to a few chain stitches joined in a circle. Can you help me out please? Also have I described a treble or half treble!

I don't want to take over from you :(

I am right handed :)

I usually leave a short length of yarn hanging and then wrap the yarn once around the index finger of my left hand crossing the working end over the short end. The crossing needs to be on the pad of your finger so you can hold in place with the thumb of the left hand. The loop around the finger needs to be unstretched but not loose. You'll need to be able to get your crochet between your finger and the loop.

I think I need to take some photos of the above and next stages ...... it is easier done and seen than described in words!!! Once I had been shown magic loop I never made a chain and slip stitch ring again to start a circle / square / hex :)

More to follow after I have tipped my bread out and found my camera and my friend has been and gone!!!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I don't know how to highlight but....floored a loft, did some rewiring, fitted a loft ladder...sewing....

Please will you adopt me ?

And entertaining a 2 year old for a month plus a 4 year old for 10 days of that month. We are exhausted and really pleased to be home :)

We already adopted the father of the two year old..........

pawwavingpuppy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Here in lovely South Devon
Funster No
I've been crocheting and knitting for a good few years, I would also recommend Bella Coco crochet for beginners on You Tube, she also deals with crocheting for left handed people - she waffles a bit, but is very clear:).....and it's all in clear English:):). I'm a visual person I can't follow written instructions;) I also use Pinterest and Ravelry.

Reactions: Ven
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Well I’ve searched high and low for my crochet hook had my whole sewing drawer out :crying1: it’s nowhere to be found however I have ordered a soft grip one that should be here tomorrow. I’m annoyed because I’m raring to get going now as I have wool and even bought a book in Carmarthen after physio.
A8161633-7DFB-44B5-8AE4-B61D10F8E2D0.jpeg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’ve been round to mums but completely forgot the hook! Will go back tomorrow and get it so will have to play hooky for a little longer! Can’t wait to start though Pam!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I’ve been round to mums but completely forgot the hook! Will go back tomorrow and get it so will have to play hooky for a little longer! Can’t wait to start though Pam!
Glad I’m not the only one without one Ger mine should be here tomorrow
Chomping at the bit to start..........see what I did there pony’s ...chomping at the bit:rofl:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@snailtrailer and @Anthea M

Hello two lovelies :) ... can't stop smiling. Just got back from the hospital and whilst under the scanner (I'm claustrophobic) I usually pretend I am on a sunny beach ... today I kept going over in my mind how to make a slip knot .... lol.

Thanks Pam .

Just done the first part of your above lesson. Anthea my hands don't do as they are told .. the left one does everything too. .

Pam I have done 30 stitches but that is me counting the slip knot as one. Is that right ... it seems to have disappeared. :(

Going to try next stage now .. back in mo.

20180306_171958.jpg

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

Hello two lovelies :) ... can't stop smiling. Just got back from the hospital and whilst under the scanner (I'm claustrophobic) I usually pretend I am on a sunny beach ... today I kept going over in my mind how to make a slip knot .... lol.

Thanks Pam .

Just done the first part of your above lesson. Anthea my hands don't do as they are told .. the left one does everything too. .

Pam I have done 30 stitches but that is me counting the slip knot as one. Is that right ... it seems to have disappeared. :(

View attachment 217507
How are finding the soft grip crochet hook Joy I’ve ordered one
Love your rainbow wool:)

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
@joy. I told you crochet has therapeutic qualities. I’m glad I came up with the idea - it’s been good for me too. Trying to compose simple explanations is testing the little grey cells.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Glad I’m not the only one without one Ger mine should be here tomorrow
Chomping at the bit to start..........see what I did there pony’s ...chomping at the bit:rofl:
I’m enjoying it ‘ nay’ loving it Anne ! But I can’t seem to go back along the chain like Carol has done! I will have another go after my chicken ,sourdough bread and salad cream sandwich !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
How are finding the soft grip crochet hook Joy I’ve ordered one
Love your rainbow wool:)

I am loving it ... just wish my left hand would let my right hand join in .. struggling with this first line. Back in .. however long :/

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Thanks Pam .

View attachment 217507
Hope it all went well ,yours looks lovely and neat and loving the colours!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
View attachment 217508 I love reading this thread and will also be following if that’s okay. I’m attempting a poncho made from 4 big granny squares at the moment.

This is my first attempt at a square :confused:
Wow that’s amazing and a very big square!!!
Lovely to have you part of the FCC ( funster crochet club!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back