Learn to crochet? (9 Viewers)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I found this thread and I’ve literally read it from the beginning. You are all inspirational. The things you have made are amazing. I’d love to learn to crochet, I once tried knitting but couldn’t get the hang of it so I’m not sure if I’m a good candidate for crochet :rofl:

What would you recommend would be the best crochet hooks and yarn to start with? I don’t even know what would be best to make to start with. What would be the easiest thing to start with? Granny squares? I guess I need to watch some of the videos too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Zoobec , as Janine , I'd only add DON'T be tempted by fancy yarn, however nice it looks. No fluffy stuff or bobbled yarn (hope I make sense there). I'm sure there is hope even for knitting. The problem is that the first few rows with either crochet or knitting are always the hardest, fiddly. Have a meetup so that someone can set it up for you and you get to grips with it and then later on you learn how to set up yourself.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Zoobec
Granny squares in double knitting with a 4mm crochet hook. That waý you can add to it at any time with 'found' balls of yarn from charity shops or bargain bins at yarn shops.
Lots of YouTube videos or, if you find yourself at a Funster meet, one of us would be happy to show you how :)
Thankyou 👍 I’ll have a look at the YouTube videos mentioned in this thread. Our van isn’t finished yet so no meets for us for a bit!

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Zoobec , as Janine , I'd only add DON'T be tempted by fancy yarn, however nice it looks. No fluffy stuff or bobbled yarn (hope I make sense there). I'm sure there is hope even for knitting. The problem is that the first few rows with either crochet or knitting are always the hardest, fiddly. Have a meetup so that someone can set it up for you and you get to grips with it and then later on you learn how to set up yourself.
Thanks that makes sense. And I’ll remember that when I start trying! It will probably look like a cobweb :rofl:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
have some double knit from years ago, like 30, it is the same thickness as aran is now. wanted to add to son's blnket but modern day double knit is much finer, luckilly I have rather a lot of aran :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Zoobec Congratulations on reading this thread from the beginning - I think most people would give up :LOL:

You can see we cover more than crochet now, knitting, quilting - baby clothes, shawls and blankets and we love sharing photos of our finished items - and even our struggles at the beginning!

Both crochet and knitting have become so popular now that, apart from the YouTube videos, there are dozens of sites and CALS (Crochet-a-longs) to inspire you.

Decide whether you want to follow UK terms of US terms - they just have different names for the stitches. Take a 4mm crochet hook and double knitting yarn and crochet a chain. Work back along the chain with double crochet (UK) single crochet (US) and keep practising that stitch for a few rows. Once you have mastered treble crochet (UK) double crochet (US) by doing a few rows until you get a bit of a rhythm going, then you'll be ready to tackle a granny square. That's when the fun begins, you can make an enormous granny square or individual ones joined together.

After that the sky's the limit and there are a whole range of stitches to try - again YouTube is your friend.

We'll be following your progress with interest.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
A friend of mine posted this recently - she's trying to follow instructions translated from Turkish - something lost in translation methinks "And we pass it here guys where we both like this. Now I take it on the crochet hook these ropes at the bottom with glass and I made 6 fillings and here again all at once I have a peanut".

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Zoobec Congratulations on reading this thread from the beginning - I think most people would give up :LOL:

You can see we cover more than crochet now, knitting, quilting - baby clothes, shawls and blankets and we love sharing photos of our finished items - and even our struggles at the beginning!

Both crochet and knitting have become so popular now that, apart from the YouTube videos, there are dozens of sites and CALS (Crochet-a-longs) to inspire you.

Decide whether you want to follow UK terms of US terms - they just have different names for the stitches. Take a 4mm crochet hook and double knitting yarn and crochet a chain. Work back along the chain with double crochet (UK) single crochet (US) and keep practising that stitch for a few rows. Once you have mastered treble crochet (UK) double crochet (US) by doing a few rows until you get a bit of a rhythm going, then you'll be ready to tackle a granny square. That's when the fun begins, you can make an enormous granny square or individual ones joined together.

After that the sky's the limit and there are a whole range of stitches to try - again YouTube is your friend.

We'll be following your progress with interest.
Thankyou (y) I’ve ordered crochet hooks and double knitting yarn, got some YouTube videos from this thread bookmarked to watch and I’ll let you all know how I get on!

I’m also fancying doing some rag rug making!

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
New project - work in progress - no idea how I will attach them so they don’t droop or move - presently they are just teetering there with luck and a tail of yarn 😄. I do have a couple of ideas but may need to internet search 🧶😊🎉
BBF60416-0174-4E78-855E-F4391507D9DA.jpeg

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
This Saturday (12 June) is Worldwide Knit in Public Day and we know that people are thinking of getting out in the good weather for Covid-compliant yarnie get-togethers.

Knitting and crochet has helped so many of us cope with lockdowns over the past year or so but we have missed meeting up in person in knitting groups. WWKIP Day seems like a great opportunity to get together for picnics, meet in gardens or to sit outside pubs and cafes to share our love of crafting.
I missed it this year but took part last year

Sus3v Oooh I likes that! The colours are lovely, I think I'll get you to pick the colours for my next project, that's an art in itself. I have just started Knitcraft Water Garden and I could see a few hexagons in yours that would fit nicely into mine.

Offagain Have you any photos of your Persian Tiles which you are doing in one variegated yarn? I'd like to see the effect if it saves darning in all those ends :(
I haven’t done much to it lately, I need to concentrate to be able to do it and don’t often have any long enough time slots to allow that to happen 🙁

Zoobec look at Bella Coco crochet videos. She’s really good and teaches U.K. terms.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I missed it this year but took part last year

I haven’t done much to it lately, I need to concentrate to be able to do it and don’t often have any long enough time slots to allow that to happen 🙁

Zoobec look at Bella Coco crochet videos. She’s really good and teaches U.K. terms.

Thankyou (y) I’ve just started watching one, although I haven’t got my yarn and crochet hook yet. It did seem like it is very good. I think I will be doing a lot of pausing and rewinding:rofl:

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
So I started today! I watched a couple of the Bella coco tutorials and did a chain about a foot long. Then I got about half way back along it in double crochet. Then I ran out of time between shifts! It seemed to go ok but I need to sort out the tension and it doesn’t look much yet, but I’m enjoying it!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I think I will be doing a lot of pausing and rewinding:rofl:
That’s the best way to do it if you’re a visual learner. Don’t worry about getting it wrong, just go for it, we all need to unpick things, from time to time, even those of us who have been sewing/knitting/crocheting (other crafts are available) for years.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
That’s the best way to do it if you’re a visual learner. Don’t worry about getting it wrong, just go for it, we all need to unpick things, from time to time, even those of us who have been sewing/knitting/crocheting (other crafts are available) for years.
Thanks! Yes, I did do quite a bit of pausing and rewinding! It will make a good cat toy if nothing else :LOL:

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I unpick a Lot😊
aanyway…
back to me me me 😊🧶
tying the flowers on didn’t work so I have invested in a glue gun - I plan to improve, and perhaps avoid hot gluing myself to the back of the circle thing, two flowers and the thread behind one leaf.
but overall pleased with it.
wanted to do the layout on the sofa but couldn’t work out how to do the bit at the bottom with two flowers… a learning curve is in progress 😊
133FF077-D9AF-4A9D-9F13-8FEB1EDB2BFD.jpeg
A3D1A3EA-B0CE-4580-B1BC-F6BB447549AC.jpeg

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Sus3v bit of thin wire to tie it on?
Zoobec and just remember that that first row is the fiddliest, it gets easier with more rows. Enjoy! I just find it very relaxing, gently counting along to myself, maybe listening to a podcast.
Thankyou, that’s reassuring! I did find it relaxing actually, even though it was the first time I’d done it!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Been looking for a new pattern, have seen loads I like, but what is it with these dropped shoulders? don’t like them. Have narrow shoulders to start with and feel as though I am losing my bra strap when I wear one. Years ago i would have easily modified to have a raglan (preferred) or at least one where the shoulder seam was at the end of my shoulder not halfway down my arm. Wish pattern makers would give instructions for both.
Rant over, will probably end up doing another the same as i have already but really wanted a change.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Been looking for a new pattern, have seen loads I like, but what is it with these dropped shoulders? don’t like them. Have narrow shoulders to start with and feel as though I am losing my bra strap when I wear one. Years ago i would have easily modified to have a raglan (preferred) or at least one where the shoulder seam was at the end of my shoulder not halfway down my arm. Wish pattern makers would give instructions for both.
Rant over, will probably end up doing another the same as i have already but really wanted a change.

Oh I hear my Grandmother's voice when you describe the drop shoulders! "Terrible, terrible. Look sloppy and the maker didn't know how to shape correctly."

I have a very broad back and always have to make the back wider than the front across the shoulders - when sewing I will often add a pleat at the back of the neck to give myself a bit of extra fabric - when knitting / crocheting a sweater I usually work a yoke top down and add more stitches at the back or add more rows to the lift at the back of the neck.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I feel exactly the same! I made a few plain jumpers using up my yarn stash early on in lockdown.

The first one had really wide shoulders so I undid the top of the front and back, tweaked them to fit and wrote the pattern out again so that subsequent jumpers fitted perfectly 😀

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure what I am going to do next ....... I have a small pile of 2ply knitted squares and will add to them as and when but perhaps another pair of socks might keep me busy. The alternative would be to hand piece the quilt for my friend that I have been procrastinating over.

I really do need to do more tidy up / sort out in the hope that will ignite the creative spark again. I have lots of ideas but sitting down to sew appears to be beyond me at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back