Learn to crochet? (4 Viewers)

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Even women who were single and pregnant got "put away". Just because it happened 100 years ago doesn't make it any easier.
I worked in a long-term psychiatric hospital in 1981 as part of my General Nurse training, there were women in there who had been 'put there' as unmarried mothers. Over the following few years, these hospitals closed & patients integrated into the community even though they hadn't lived outside for many decades, I often thought about how they ever managed.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Morning
I started a ten week evening class yesterday about using different textiles.
For the first hour the tutor spoke about sustainability and the damage being done to the planet by creating fabrics and other textiles, so the materials we will use for the rest of the course should be recycled items we already own. Excellent, I‘m up for that. Then she told us to bring 2 or 3 T-shirt’s in next week to make into T-shirt yarn. I took a bag of stuff including several T-shirt’s to the charity shop yesterday 🤦🏻‍♀️
Then we did an introduction to macrame, which it turns out I can do! Sadly I don’t have the imagination to create my own designs so I’m heading to Pinterest.....however I don’t know how I can source macrame cotton without buying some, I have lots of knitting and crochet yarn but it’s too thin 🤔

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Morning
I started a ten week evening class yesterday about using different textiles.
For the first hour the tutor spoke about sustainability and the damage being done to the planet by creating fabrics and other textiles, so the materials we will use for the rest of the course should be recycled items we already own. Excellent, I‘m up for that. Then she told us to bring 2 or 3 T-shirt’s in next week to make into T-shirt yarn. I took a bag of stuff including several T-shirt’s to the charity shop yesterday 🤦🏻‍♀️
Then we did an introduction to macrame, which it turns out I can do! Sadly I don’t have the imagination to create my own designs so I’m heading to Pinterest.....however I don’t know how I can source macrame cotton without buying some, I have lots of knitting and crochet yarn but it’s too thin 🤔
Pop back into your charity shop and ask if they will sell you a bag of 'rags'. These are items of clothing not fit to out out on the rails and are sold to the rag-man for about 25p per kilo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Could you use several strands of the yarn you already have together to make one strand? You could even twist a few together to make a rope - lots of videos on Youtube and you can use as many or as few stands as you like. Youtube tends to complicate it. Remember that you end up with less than half the length you started with!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I worked in a long-term psychiatric hospital in 1981 as part of my General Nurse training, there were women in there who had been 'put there' as unmarried mothers. Over the following few years, these hospitals closed & patients integrated into the community even though they hadn't lived outside for many decades, I often thought about how they ever managed.

My last job was working with people coming out of long term hospital care and it was the most emotional job I have ever had. I started working in the office but before 3 months were up I was working "on the shop floor" in the training centre with the clients as I helped them with finance and budgets down to how to work a washing machine. I probably leaned more from them than they did from me and every day I looked forward to going to work until we had a change of manager but that is a different story.

One of our gentlemen used to come by taxi in his jimjams every morning and had a bag of day clothes so we could help him choose what to wear and encourage him to become socially presentable. We were supposed to help people find employment and in some cases had success but for other people just getting out of bed some mornings every week was a major achievement.

A couple of our regulars were having a right go at each other one afternoon and as tempers became a little frayed one said "You're mad, you are" and I had to say that the term was not allowed in the building. "Oh it's okay" says the person who had just been called mad "I've got a certificate that proves it for when I get lifted by the Polis". He was very very proud of that certificate and had it copied and framed.

We ran quite a lot of courses some under license from elsewhere with formal assessments and exams and some in house and practical. Every month we had a success event where certificates were awarded - and everyone did get a certificate at some point.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Could you use several strands of the yarn you already have together to make one strand? You could even twist a few together to make a rope - lots of videos on Youtube and you can use as many or as few stands as you like. Youtube tends to complicate it. Remember that you end up with less than half the length you started with!
Capital plan! Would make it very colourful too. I shall investigate.

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I made this for 18mth old #6 grandsprog yesterday at her mum’s request.
I’m very pleased with it. It was very quick and easy, now I’ve got to grips with the overlocker!
It‘s half lined but there is a version which is fully reversible so I may try that next, once it’s been tried on for size. There is also versions with different pockets, and she does love a pocket, so one of each are also planned.

B857B51D-9AD5-4B1B-A1D8-61EF35655853.jpeg

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Talking of grandchildren, granddaughter age 10 has asked for a skull scarf... she is not the pink-and-unicorns type. The blue is the Spider-Man scarf - or rather it will be very soon 😊
839BC9DE-C7A7-4E80-B50A-DE78F887D66E.jpeg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
One of my work colleages, an auxiliary nurse, discovered she had a half sister. /found out when doing her family tree, she eventually found her in the local mental hospital, where she had been since, becoming pregnant, never did find out what happened to the baby, Colleague was horrified and started to visit, eventually taking her sister out, and then for overnight visits. When she retired she took her sister home to live with her.
I had done nurse training for a few weeks at the same hospital, one lady had been incarcerated because she had been seen talking to a boy, according to the notes, she was in her 70s or 80s at that time.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I am posting this with a very heavy heart.
😢
😢
😢

I am donating all of my many hobby items as I no longer have the desire to do anything with them.
Life gets that way sometimes. Having hobbies presents a lot of work for very little recognition. I am extremely tired..... exhausted actually.
Please don’t ask any questions. I can’t handle talking about it anymore!
😔

Only serious inquiries, please......
Below is the list of items that I have available.
1. Broom and dustpan
2. Sponges
3. Dusters
4. Mop & Bucket
5. Window Cleaner
6. Vacuum
7. Soap (laundry, dish, you name it)
8. Fabric softener
9. Trash bags
10. Toilet brush
11. A lot of the "must have" gadgets that are often of limited use
Please pm if interested.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
I am posting this with a very heavy heart.
😢
😢
😢

I am donating all of my many hobby items as I no longer have the desire to do anything with them.
Life gets that way sometimes. Having hobbies presents a lot of work for very little recognition. I am extremely tired..... exhausted actually.
Please don’t ask any questions. I can’t handle talking about it anymore!
😔

Only serious inquiries, please......
Below is the list of items that I have available.
1. Broom and dustpan
2. Sponges
3. Dusters
4. Mop & Bucket
5. Window Cleaner
6. Vacuum
7. Soap (laundry, dish, you name it)
8. Fabric softener
9. Trash bags
10. Toilet brush
11. A lot of the "must have" gadgets that are often of limited use
Please pm if interested.
Me Too

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Finished and posted
had to post two separate parcels each because it never Seems fair to put two gifts in one parcel. If I was at twin I would be really annoyed.
lovely scarves in time fo4 summer... I didn’t find a pattern for the spiderman face, so I made it up as I went along - it’s a bit wiggly woggly- I’m not ‘apply but ran out of time to post. Looks like the right colours though 🙄
03F77830-2A6E-41F6-9BBD-F0775CC9AA1F.jpeg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Sus3v agree with you regarding 2 parcels, son's birthday was boxing day friendcame roundwith 2parcels one for elders Christmas and one for younger ones christmas and birthday, i handed both back, and said if they couldn't both have a birthday and a christmas present I would rather the ydidn't bother with either, they weren't short of a bob or 2 either. They were back next day with 3 parcels and we remained friends for many years.
Lost touch after I moved house several times in one year.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
My brother's birthday is Christmas Day and my Mum insisted that he had separate birthday & Christmas presents. He opened his birthday presents first in the morning and we had our Christmas meal at lunch time and a birthday meal including birthday cake at tea time - didn't need to eat on Boxing Day :giggler:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I always post two parcels to our Grandsons as actually getting a parcel addressed to you is a big part of the fun!

Sometimes I just post silly little things to them that I've picked up when shopping - last time it was an airfix model of an plane for Stephen and in a different parcel a toy where there were lots of noisy buttons to press for Erik. Matthew also got an airfix model :) All treated the same.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
advice please ...
I, being a silly billy, have inadvertently, without paying attention, purchased 3 balls of Aran instead of DK yarn, to finish the doubleknit blanket I have been avoiding the finishing of. I am tempted to use the Aran For the remaining motifs. What you think?

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
advice please ...
I, being a silly billy, have inadvertently, without paying attention, purchased 3 balls of Aran instead of DK yarn, to finish the doubleknit blanket I have been avoiding the finishing of. I am tempted to use the Aran For the remaining motifs. What you think?
I'd buy DK and use the Aran for another project (I think you did that on purpose anyway, whoops, what a mistake to make, oh well, need to buy some more :tounge: ). I would think the difference in size/thickness will be very obvious. Unless you want to work out the re-sizing of the motifs so that the Aran ones are the same as the DK ones, do you want to bother with that??? (tbh I wouldn't)

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
I'd buy DK and use the Aran for another project (I think you did that on purpose anyway, whoops, what a mistake to make, oh well, need to buy some more :tounge: ). I would think the difference in size/thickness will be very obvious. Unless you want to work out the re-sizing of the motifs so that the Aran ones are the same as the DK ones, do you want to bother with that??? (tbh I wouldn't)
You are right on all counts except the ‘deliberate mistake one’. I have run out of hidey holes for my yarn-in-waiting stash. Now I need to ponder (a lot) about what to do with three and a half balls of black, two balls of bright blue, one ball of red and most of one ball of white Aran Weight. I might do mitts for the grandchildren and a bobble hat or two. The red and blue might make a ‘paw patrol’ hat - which will go down well with one of the Devon contingent.

must go, I need to order some double knitting 🧶

haveaniceday 👵🏼🙋🏻‍♀️

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Me again. Nearly time to be pleased with myself 😊
yoohoo 🙋🏻‍♀️😃
4F32083A-D989-49AD-8827-B512C94C240C.jpeg

hope you are enjoying today
i have almost finished the “fed up now” throw For child number one.
just one more half a hexagon and putting them all together and a border.
I thought the six around the centre were looking a bit boring so I will put the orange stitches on the rest of them.
then I will be able to rummage through my extensive modest stash to start something else 👵🏼

HectorsHoose

Free Member
May 10, 2021
Perth, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2016
@snailtrailer Just rummaging through sewing box to see if I already had any hooks and came across these. They are plastic. The long one seems to be for measuring crochet hooks as each dent has a mm number on it but what is the round thing for please? Will I need to keep it for use eventually? Or shall I discard it?
View attachment 217288
That’s for making Pom poms 😊

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Why, when I have 2 files and a box full of knitting patterns, can I not find one i want to use? Got loads of Aran yarn think i might be doing the same pattern again just a different colour.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Why, when I have 2 files and a box full of knitting patterns, can I not find one i want to use? Got loads of Aran yarn think i might be doing the same pattern again just a different colour.
You are not alone.
signed anonymous (if you don’t look at my info on the left)
somewhere in Wales

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I can do no more in the dining room (which requires a final tidy up and finish decorating / finishing touches) until the replacement bits from the damaged parcel arrive and are fitted (cupboard which needs to be re-trimmed before the new doors are installed - then my cook books can go back in there and I can make runners for the furniture).

In the mean time I have started the tidy up in my studio. When I moved down from the attic everything was boxed up and dumped down here - and I never emptied all the boxes (or properly sorted the contents which I did empty) as life got in the way. Anyway today I have shelved the contents of three boxes but there are several more to go ...... I'll just do one or two at a time until it is done. Once everything is shelved and my desk and work bench are clear I will start to go through every cubbyhole and organise things so that all the craft supplies are in one place and organised - and the family history files are also put into an order that makes sense to me (if no one else).

I just hope no one else brings me curtains or blinds to alter as it takes quite a time to get them right and I just can't say the "n" word :(

Also Martin has suggested we get a housekeeper a couple of hours a week to clean the bathrooms, kitchen and run the vac around .... maybe do a deeper clean to one room each week as neither of us find housework inspiring or rewarding.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Oh if I could do a partial quote on this thing.
Would also love a housekeeper/cleaner to do a few hours a week, have always hated housework, don’t mind painting or decorating and love ironing and cooking. But cleaning does not fill me with joy, it does get done though, but possible not as often as it should :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back