LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A friend sent me some of his Grandma's clothing (mostly jersey type tops) after she died for me to make a memory quilt for him........ I'm afraid I have been reluctant to even start it but may make a folded false cathedral window quilt with white cotton as a base and small pieces of the clothing as the window. Maybe something like this:

img_2505.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
A friend sent me some of his Grandma's clothing (mostly jersey type tops) after she died for me to make a memory quilt for him........ I'm afraid I have been reluctant to even start it but may make a folded false cathedral window quilt with white cotton as a base and small pieces of the clothing as the window. Maybe something like this:

View attachment 452939

Wow. Clever to even attempt it. How do you stop the wool from unwinding when you cut the pieces please?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Wow. Clever to even attempt it. How do you stop the wool from unwinding when you cut the pieces please?

I run a line of machine stitching each side of the cutting line. With a short stitch length it prevents the running. :) Not my idea, it's how they add safety to steeks. And yes, I have steeked to make a jacket from a sweater. I did the stitching at home and took the garment to the knit and natter group (looking forward to that starting again) to cut the steek. There were lots of shocked faces!!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I run a line of machine stitching each side of the cutting line. With a short stitch length it prevents the running. :) Not my idea, it's how they add safety to steeks. And yes, I have steeked to make a jacket from a sweater. I did the stitching at home and took the garment to the knit and natter group (looking forward to that starting again) to cut the steek. There were lots of shocked faces!!!!!!

Wow. Interesting. I'd have to be brave to cut into knitted sweater as per the Wikipedia instruction!!!! It would have taken me 12 months toknit the sweater. X

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Wow. Interesting. I'd have to be brave to cut into knitted sweater as per the Wikipedia instruction!!!! It would have taken me 12 months toknit the sweater. X

You can try it out on a charity shop purchase :) It's scary first time but after that you wonder what all the fuss was about! Knits will run / unravel from the top of the knitting but not side to side. You can also lightly needle felt the edges but that does thicken and shrink them a bit. It works best with wool or a blend with a good proportion of wool.

I might even steek the armholes of the sleeveless top I am making my Dad as that would mean the marble effect would carry round as would the pattern. These days I do tend to use a circular needle so if I am not making a yoked garment then steeking is a go-to technique.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
You can try it out on a charity shop purchase :) It's scary first time but after that you wonder what all the fuss was about! Knits will run / unravel from the top of the knitting but not side to side. You can also lightly felt the edges but that does thicken and shrink them a bit.
How about using a pinking shear blade in a rotary cutter ? Might that work ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
How about using a pinking shear blade in a rotary cutter ? Might that work ?

For the jersey fabric for the quilt that will work :) As would some iron-on bondaweb which I already have .......... I think I might also have a wavy blade for a strip cutting machine I have been given but hardly ever used. I'll have to be careful of the embellishments on the clothing though - quite a few metal brads and sequins.

The finished quilt needs to be a minimum of 84 by 106 inches ..... it's going to be heavy.

When steeking I run a line of machine stiching (or hand back stitch) a stitch in from the cut on both sides. I've alsoeen known to fasten the steek down with machine stitching. I was shown how by a lady in Bergen who didn't speak English and my Norwegian is "lite" at best!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
For the jersey fabric for the quilt that will work :) As would some iron-on bondaweb which I already have .......... I think I might also have a wavy blade for a strip cutting machine I have been given but hardly ever used. I'll have to be careful of the embellishments on the clothing though - quite a few metal brads and sequins.

The finished quilt needs to be a minimum of 84 by 106 inches ..... it's going to be heavy.

When steeking I run a line of machine stiching (or hand back stitch) a stitch in from the cut on both sides. I've alsoeen known to fasten the steek down with machine stitching. I was shown how by a lady in Bergen who didn't speak English and my Norwegian is "lite" at best!
You’re so clever. I love all your projects.
Perhaps we need to meet up for a Funster masterclass at some point when we are allowed to!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You’re so clever. I love all your projects.
Perhaps we need to meet up for a Funster masterclass at some point when we are allowed to!

There is a very thin line between clever and foolhardy - and I don't think I am clever!

Like the sound of that! Never had the guts for a steek.

A meet up would be good once it is both safe and allowed. Maybe a place that has a club room as some CCC do. We could do what they call "corners" at one of the groups I used to go to where 4 volunteers show a technique to everyone and after all the show and tell is done each volunteer takes a corner and has a mini-workshop. If there are a lot of volunteers / techniques or one technique that is very popular there can be change overs of volunteers and participants.

I like to see some Tunisian Crochet :) I have hooks.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just came to say "Hello" , my apologies Ive not read the thread but just last week decided to try crocheting again. Not done it for 50 yrs since my aunt taught me. Mum gave me an old crochet hook and some wool she had so after mastering the basics again I thought id try following youtube and make Alan a hat.

Have a laugh,YES! the photo is supposed to be the making of the hat :rofl: I've kept going wrong with the turning mostly and a few wrong stitches here and there. I have to say though I am getting better(y) last night I knitted a face mask with just a few errors and lined the inside with cotton , it has actually turned out OK. Now I'm making a new hat to match, or attempting to and hoping I've learnt to keep looking at the work as I go. I've now bought myself a packet of hooks so I can choose sizes. Watch out for my next attempt:)
IMG_8652 copy.jpg
B6EF8808-94F5-485A-B624-2FCEEE7FE969.JPG

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello Sandra irnbru glad to see you. There are lots of other interesting crochet sites on the internet to inspire you and then you'll be well and truly 'hooked'. This thread is now for all crafty things and we've seen lovely examples of all kinds of work. Should you ever get time, wander back through some of the old pages and see for yourself.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok where's all the tips for putting something on the end of the crochet hook. Only now realise I should have bought a set with better grips. My palm is aching:cry:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Ok where's all the tips for putting something on the end of the crochet hook. Only now realise I should have bought a set with better grips. My palm is aching:cry:

Try the pencil grips that children use when starting to write - but depending on the size of your hook they may not fit. Otherwise foam insulation with the handle pushed through and trim the foam to shape. I've also seen people wear thin gloves with the thumbs and fingers cut off.

Perhaps you are gripping too tight or need to work for shorter periods ? I know that if you learnt as a child and crochet / knit all your life you develop the small muscles when you are small - the muscles that ache as an adult with unaccustomed micro-exercise.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
And some contrary advice (of course). My hands cramp up terribly from the bigger hooks/needles. I can only do the very fine lace stuff. Can't knit anything bigger than socks anymore :cry:

davanne , I've been admiring the horse.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
And some contrary advice (of course). My hands cramp up terribly from the bigger hooks/needles. I can only do the very fine lace stuff. Can't knit anything bigger than socks anymore :cry:

davanne , I've been admiring the horse.
Thank you Sophie I love it It’s a picture of a painting we have the artist is Trevor Taylor from Scotland we have two but this is my favourite as it looks like the last pony we had for my eldest grandson.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've just put my crochet away as I've now had 2 glasses of wine. I thought it best.
Yes, good idea, Helen. Or it might come out looking like mine. :)

I have forgotten my basic skills. Seriously. I really need some inspiration to make me do squares again.... I' ve forgotten how to do corners. :(

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Thanks Helen

I decided today to make a start on a big quilt project known as Latimer Farms by Marcus Fabrics (Do look it up) It was originally a Block of the Month in 2015 but I bought the pack when it was complete. I hope to finish it in under twelve months. It was complete with full instructions and all the fabrics although I have filched three of them to use on James' quilt. I cut out the fabrics for the first four blocks this afternoon.

Apart from that I am making:
- a square a day for an Easter Blanket for 'homemade for preemies'
- the Eastern Jewels crochet lap quilt
- three octopals a month

plenty of time in the evenings with tele being so boring (apparently two football matches tomorrow :Eeek: )

This should keep me happy until the gardening season comes around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back