Learn to crochet? (4 Viewers)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Update from Australia:

Hiya there! Thanks to everyone who saw our post yesterday and have passed on the information to their sub groups. To clarify:

• The craft guild is NOT being shut down

• We are taking a momentary break to stocktake our hubs, distribute items to the long list of rescue requests we have and organise properly what we need.

• We are doing this in order to have a better understanding of the items and places we are lacking to more effectively make requests to all of you.

• This is not an attack on international groups. With any large influx of members/donations, these pauses are vital to ensure that we do not lose the focus of emergency volunteer work.

• We will not tolerate any abuse, especially messages sent personally to our admin team. The passed 12 hours we have received numerous messages from people accusing us of all sorts of things. This land is on fire. Things change in seconds and decisions have to be made very quickly.

• Thank you to the incredible international groups who have checked in with us and are standing by. We love you. i.e our amazing Singapore/Canada and Germany team have checked in and are passing on the information to their groups and are holding items/donating to local places. If you need to move items please donate to local rescues or hold until we can open hubs again.

• Super random but if you contact us in a foreign language expect a longer wait to get back to you aha. We gotta google translate.

• I can't believe I'm writing this but we are NOT run/owned by the Australian Government. Seriously were not.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I :h: your stitch markers Angela Mrs Badknee

I've almost finished the socks I am making for our Daughter-in-Law #2's sister - and will probably have them done tonight.

After that I am thinking I will see what baby wool I have for the Portuguese style baby jacket.

And after that I will go through my stash and my patterns and see what I have and what I want to make next.

I'd like to make bedspreads for the spare room - the bed in there is a king size that splits up into two long singles. I have plenty of king size quilts I have made over the years but no "twin" singles so I may either crochet squares or knit squares from the Quaker pattern I bought in Kendal - or maybe see if they will combine. The room is decorated in Bird of Paradise Flower colours (orange and yellow and red and green and electric blue) but the bedding is all in white. Even Martin's sister who said she hated orange and would never go into a room with orange said "wow" when she came to visit and said she loved it - she's not one to hold back if she hated it!!!!! So maybe white bedspreads with a touch of the hot colours. I call the room The Tango Bedroom lol. I am worried that the bedspreads will be too heavy so might try acrylic or a cotton but not wool!!!!!

The duck curtain I made needs a frame so I have to think how to do that and how to fasten it over the van side windows but make it easy to take down when necessary.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I must show you the beautiful portrait Sus3v did for me which I gave to Dave for Christmas now we have finally decided where it should live. He loved it.

I know it looks crooked but it is straight to the wall honest ;)
View attachment 355530
Thank you.. so pleased you both like it... you have made me an international artist ???
ooh. Just noticed I didn’t poke ‘post reply’. but I will now

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I'm gathering a pile of squares and at some point I'll actually finish making them.

How do people deal with them for making up, just damp and press with a cloth over or use a blocking board or something similar. Never knew about blocking boards so had to google them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm gathering a pile of squares and at some point I'll actually finish making them.

How do people deal with them for making up, just damp and press with a cloth over or use a blocking board or something similar. Never knew about blocking boards so had to google them.

It depends how square and size identical they are. If they measure / look okay I don't block but they do look better and make up easier when blocked :)

Socks finished and will be posted, probably on Wednesday :)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

I’m same as Helen Puddleduck if they look ok I leave them but otherwise use a block which I picked up in a charity shop for a £1

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I have finished something larger than a small snowman! Only a scarf type thing. I started a shallow v-shaped scarf tutored by an extraordinarily camp sounding American chap who says hello spiderlings. I finished it, but didn’t like the finished edges so I kept going.
Now toying with the idea of a cardigan or something ?. No idea really, but let’s see.
Daughter number one has started a ‘construction’ course doing costume making. Her efforts, I am happy to say, eclipse mine, but I am hobby - she is aiming for professional. this one is a munchkin (think Wizard of Oz). So I will show you #proudmummyorwhat

Attachments

• FF63A83C-6419-418F-B2AE-36ABF966F061.jpeg
    FF63A83C-6419-418F-B2AE-36ABF966F061.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 84EED863-50AE-4B7A-972E-5CDE85F65D6E.jpeg
    84EED863-50AE-4B7A-972E-5CDE85F65D6E.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 29
  • E82B8541-5880-4963-85D0-45376C75498F.jpeg
    E82B8541-5880-4963-85D0-45376C75498F.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 32
  • D81E1778-3A90-439D-A3FE-49C9B11962ED.jpeg
    D81E1778-3A90-439D-A3FE-49C9B11962ED.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 30

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Photos of the circular (knitted) baby shawl as I have blocked the centre. You can just about see in the first photo how waved the edge is - it has not yet been blocked. Before blocking the shawl was pucked up in the centre and didn't sit flat anywhere so the blocking was and is necessary.

the last photo is of the socks I just finished - One has the blocking shape inside and the other is unblocked so you can see the difference. Normally I don't block socks as I want them to conform to foot shape :)

100_9843.JPG

100_9844.JPG

100_9845.JPG

100_9846.JPG

EDIT: the blocking board is actually foam underlay for exercise machines which was in Aldi last weekend. There are 8 tiles in a pack and they lock together.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I just got sent this link

Check out the pattern for knitted knickers!!!!!

Was wondering about the fishnets, have an old book which I can't bear to throw away, has knitted baby's bibs and the pictures of some of the knitted garments are a sit to behold. need to dig it out and post a few pictures.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have finished something larger than a small snowman! Only a scarf type thing. I started a shallow v-shaped scarf tutored by an extraordinarily camp sounding American chap who says hello spiderlings. I finished it, but didn’t like the finished edges so I kept going.
Now toying with the idea of a cardigan or something ?. No idea really, but let’s see.
Daughter number one has started a ‘construction’ course doing costume making. Her efforts, I am happy to say, eclipse mine, but I am hobby - she is aiming for professional. this one is a munchkin (think Wizard of Oz). So I will show you #proudmummyorwhat
Love your shawl and WOW at the costume! That is beautiful :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
So when I finish the Portuguese style baby jacket what do I do next?

The choices are:

1 Use some of the show sample yarn to make something for myself
2 Try out one or more patterns for a bedspread
3 Make myself another pair of socks
4 Something else using a new to me technique?

One thing at a time is my rule or things don't get finished.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I've reached the point where I'd like another project to start, my brain has caught up with itself and I'm wondering why I ever thought making 208 granny squares was a good idea! I've made 60 so far and feel my brain seeping away with every one which I finish!

Luckily I don't have another project and having got Mark to the point of being ok with my working away I don't want to blow everything by starting something new.

I'm thinking to make one of those endless scarf things and maybe a matching hat with some variegated wool, but my mind has got no further than that and will no doubt change to something else by the time I do finally finish this jacket.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've pulled out what I had knitted of the baby cardigan as it just didn't look right although an interesting technique using short rows. I have downloaded a pattern from Garnstudios to try another baby sweater otherwise I might end up making squares for a blanket using the baby yarn!

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
My project is finally finished. It has morphed as it's gone along so is very different from what I thought it would look like in the beginning. It doesn't bear close inspection so I'm calling it a prototype. The handles have been a real pain.
My idea was to make a crochet cover for one of those canvas bags. I'm a novice and this is the biggest thing I've made I think.
Pic
15792716790837363398165292666739.jpg

Other side
15792717650443991410421605460667.jpg

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
My project is finally finished. It has morphed as it's gone along so is very different from what I thought it would look like in the beginning. It doesn't bear close inspection so I'm calling it a prototype. The handles have been a real pain.
My idea was to make a crochet cover for one of those canvas bags. I'm a novice and this is the biggest thing I've made I think.
Pic
View attachment 357467
Other side
View attachment 357468
Wow Hilary that is beautiful :smiley: are you sure you’ve not crocheted before did you use a pattern ?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Wow Hilary that is beautiful :smiley: are you sure you’ve not crocheted before did you use a pattern ?
Thanks
I taught myself to crochet about 40 years ago and haven't done any since. Just some poppies.
So I'm never sure if I'm doing it right. I started out with a pattern but it wasn't working out. Mrs Badknee lent me a pattern book and showed me how to read the pattern but that was just for a granny square. I made the rest up. Believe me it is quite rough and needed some persuading to fit it together. But if I made another one I've learnt from my mistakes :LOL: :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back