Learing to Ride Big Boy Bikes (1 Viewer)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
1st lesson this morning & jumped straight onto a Yamaha XJ600 bypassing the 1st day 125cc part (y)

& I fecking loved it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What a big difference to the 125's however I did find it harder to lean but so much grip in the ridiculous rain aswell...... a 125 in the same weather would mean tippy toeing around & almost falling over at every opportunity but the big bike wow it just wanted to stay upright.

The instructor was pleased & all the practice we done would have been a pass on the mod 1 but was clearly pushing us further & I have to work on my U turn clutch & rev control but I would still pass.

Out on the open road a single carriageway & with the instructor screaming at us to open up the tap I only managed 47mph :LOL: but hey I was doing better then the other guy & well for me that was as far as was going to push a bike unknown to me in those conditions (n):whistle:

Next lesson is Friday afternoon & it looks to be much drier than today :D

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Well done.

Once motorcycles get into your blood it's difficult to give them up. I've been riding for 38 years.

Keep up the training... in my opinion, in the world of motorcycling, it's the most important and rewarding accessory you can spend money on.

Too many people will spend £1000 on a shiny new, noisy exhaust and not even bother to think about spending a couple of hundred quid on decent post test training.

Keep it up and enjoy it. It's a fantastic hobby.

Mike

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
You can never get enough training, even after the test, see if your local police force have public training days, or take the IAM motorcycle test, I did aand was well happy, even now, I still learn new things regularly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am aware of Biker Down course's locally run by Herts emergency services where they teach First Aid & do a ride with an advanced police rider.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Passed my test last year good luck
54years old now got 2bikes wife and I enjoy going old(when not raining) also take the transalp with the motorhome great fun
Again good luck

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lesson 2 today...... & my hands ache........
Plenty of slow speed clutch control with good revs & spent most of the session going round in circles & figure of eights.
I practised the swerve today & the instructor wanted us to swerve back earlier then what is recquired in the test & pushed us to hit the 30mph speed & to be honest it felt really un-nervy swerving back to the line but I have the comfort of knowing that that is not required in the test.

I pity the guy I was with today as he has no biking experience & almost crashed on the emergency stop, poor guy needed a change of underwear as the bike went from under him when he locked the rear wheel & released the lever & repeated it twice more before he came to a stop.

One more lesson before the Mod 1

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I pity the guy I was with today as he has no biking experience & almost crashed on the emergency stop, poor guy needed a change of underwear as the bike went from under him when he locked the rear wheel & released the lever & repeated it twice more before he came to a stop

First of all - always remember that if it doesn't feel right don't do it - ride your own road.

Jumping on the rear brake is a rooky mistake, all the weight in an emergency stop is on the front wheel, the rear wheel is almost in the air and off the ground, it is bound to skid.
Many experienced bikers will tell you to stay away from the rear brake until you have mastered hard braking with the front brake. You probably don't realise how powerful that front brake can be, although I hope you never have to find out! The problem with using the front brake may stem from riding push bikes as a kid and remembering getting turfed over the handlebars, its almost impossible to do it on a motorbike
I may be old fashioned but I rarely use the rear brake. Mostly when coming to a gentle stop at the light or on a steep slippery down hill. In these circumstances you have a better chance of saving a rear wheel slide than a front, as your mate found out!

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
First of all - always remember that if it doesn't feel right don't do it - ride your own road.

Jumping on the rear brake is a rooky mistake, all the weight in an emergency stop is on the front wheel, the rear wheel is almost in the air and off the ground, it is bound to skid.
Many experienced bikers will tell you to stay away from the rear brake until you have mastered hard braking with the front brake. You probably don't realise how powerful that front brake can be, although I hope you never have to find out! The problem with using the front brake may stem from riding push bikes as a kid and remembering getting turfed over the handlebars, its almost impossible to do it on a motorbike
I may be old fashioned but I rarely use the rear brake. Mostly when coming to a gentle stop at the light or on a steep slippery down hill. In these circumstances you have a better chance of saving a rear wheel slide than a front, as your mate found out!

That guy done his mod 1 right after me & failed, he put his foot down on the U turn & skidded on the Emergancy stop.
Nerves got me on that one when I realised I over cooked the speed.
I have seen the videos & experimented with the front brake to see how powerful it is in a straight line ;) luckily Im a HGV driver so ive got eyes up my bum & 6,7 & 8th senses plus a Telepaphic ability to know what the other drivers are going to do before they do ;)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Well done!
Now find the local iam and enroll for the 'skills for life' if its still called that or the Rospa equivalent.
I did then went on with the training to become a senior observer. Probably saved my life but I don't ride now even when you know what to do the Wabbits on the road can still take u out.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Well done enjoy can not wait for it not to be raining what, bike are you thinking of, if taking pillion make sure they are happy on the back and enjoy good fun meeting other bikers has been a new hobby that me and the wife enjoy together.
Again well done

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've Only gone a Passed my Mod 2 today :D:D:D
Its official I'm a Biker (y)
Now to find me a Bike..........
Well done, now your past the test you can learn how to ride in the real world. :LOL:
Good kit is important too and if your taking a pillion out get them to check out the bike for comfort before you buy. I bought a VFR 800 Vtec without Angela being with me and it was so different to what we were used too I got rid of in in weeks. Mind you I did end up with a PanEuro. (y)

image.jpg

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well done enjoy can not wait for it not to be raining what, bike are you thinking of, if taking pillion make sure they are happy on the back and enjoy good fun meeting other bikers has been a new hobby that me and the wife enjoy together.
Again well done

Well done, now your past the test you can learn how to ride in the real world. :LOL:
Good kit is important too and if your taking a pillion out get them to check out the bike for comfort before you buy. I bought a VFR 800 Vtec without Angela being with me and it was so different to what we were used too I got rid of in in weeks. Mind you I did end up with a PanEuro. (y)

View attachment 91793

Well I really want a ST1100 Pan Eropean but my budget is low at the moment leaving me with the choice of a very cheap fix er up pan or a lighter Honda Deauville NT650 with low milage, my other choice based on tonight's search is a Suzuki Bandit GSF 650 all based on a search for less than 2k.
There are pans out there that need some tlc in this price range but I really need to get out & gets some test rides as so far all ive riden is a Yamaha XJ6 oh also spotted a Fazer but the Suzuki has a beter seat for a pillion.

Will see whats on offer by the weekend & try n get some test rides.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well I really want a ST1100 Pan Eropean but my budget is low at the moment leaving me with the choice of a very cheap fix er up pan or a lighter Honda Deauville NT650 with low milage, my other choice based on tonight's search is a Suzuki Bandit GSF 650 all based on a search for less than 2k.
There are pans out there that need some tlc in this price range but I really need to get out & gets some test rides as so far all ive riden is a Yamaha XJ6 oh also spotted a Fazer but the Suzuki has a beter seat for a pillion.

Will see whats on offer by the weekend & try n get some test rides.
Have a look out for a Honda VFR 800. V4 bullet proof engine with gear driven cams so no chain rattle. (y)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Well done.

Have a look at your local Bikesafe course. A very cheap one day course staffed by Police riders and well worth the money.

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
did look at a deauville nice plenty of storage and good starter bike went for a transalp 650 same engine with luggage that comes with the motor home but wife twisted my arm (not much) and also got a truimph bonny america for nice days in cornwall plenty of polishing

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Massive well done Rob...
So are you gonna do the Italian run this year with a few other funsters ?
(y) ;)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Now you've passed the test, next thing to learn is rear wheel steering and saving it on your knee :)

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Bought my 1st bike...... ok so its not a Pan but I have to start somewhere & I did spend an hour looking at a Pan last weekend.
Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit S. 1 owner from new a 10 year old bike with full service history.

I take Delivery next Saturday.

$_57.JPG
12744047_970673436344390_3340631738646905784_n.jpg

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Looks very clean and well kept, hope you have lots of fun on that, remember the feeling never leaves you, once a biker.......................................!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back