Leaky calor cylinders anyone? (1 Viewer)

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Right, this is the third one so a trend is emerging. That's three 13kg Calor propane cylinders that have leaked even when correctly connected. The current one is still weeping very slightly even with the valve closed, so it's going straight back whence it came.

Never had this trouble in the past, and so far it's only been with the 13kg Calor bottles. Anyone else had similar bothers?

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Right, this is the third one so a trend is emerging. That's three 13kg Calor propane cylinders that have leaked even when correctly connected. The current one is still weeping very slightly even with the valve closed, so it's going straight back whence it came.

Never had this trouble in the past, and so far it's only been with the 13kg Calor bottles. Anyone else had similar bothers?

This is probably one of those 'Are you sure it's plugged in?' questions, but...
after you turned the valve off did you release the pressure on the line?
Reason for asking is this -
Not very long ago I had a gas bottle that only lasted 'five minutes' so when I fitted a new one and did the soapy water test I too found it was leaking. So I changed the pigtail over from the other bottle and bingo no leak. Fitted the first pigtail to the other bottle and bingo THAT bottle seemed to be leaking. Replaced the pigtail - no leak.
I actually fitted the Gaslow stainless steel pigtails with the easy fit screw. Very expensive, but they are good for 10 years, whereas rubber pigtails should be replaced after 5.

Hope that solves your problem. Gas cylinders don't usually leak (though I guess there's always exceptions).:Smile:

John

OP
OP
Mikemoss

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi JayDee

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that. Will give it a try and report back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mikemoss

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nope, it;s not the pigtail and definitely the cylinder valve that's leaking. Have tried the pigtail with another cylinder and had no leak, and also tried the leaking cylinder with another pigtail - and it still leaks.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.....

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
That's good. Saves you the cost of a pigtail at any rate.

And you know for sure now.:thumb:

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back