Leaking windows - advice please (1 Viewer)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Windows that did not leak during the summer rains are incapable of withstanding autumn rain (both French and British). It has been suggested that the long hot summer sun has dried out the seals though one of the windows subsequently repaired itself.

Other FUN threads recommend the removal of the offending window, resealing with Silkaflex and replacement but which Silkaflex product ? The threads in question give conflicting advice, a situation not helped by a plethora of products here in France.

I am hoping that the collective wisdom of those that know more than I (roughly 7 billion people) will point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We have experienced a leaking window, here in France. The window in question is, when parked at home, in direct sun light.

The rain did soak through, and when I inspected it, all the original sealant had eroded. Removed as much as I could and purchased a tube of translucent silicone and applicator gun, from a local Bricolage, just over 14 euros, and sealed the window. I have not removed the window, just watching it for now.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We have experienced a leaking window, here in France. The window in question is, when parked at home, in direct sun.

The rain did soak through, and when I inspected it, all the original sealant had eroded. Removed as much as I could and purchased a tube of translucent silicone and applicator gun, from a local Bricolage, just over 14 euros, and sealed the window. I have not removed the window, just watching it for now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sikaflex is an adhesive as well as any sealing properties so if you want to stand a chance of ever getting it out against I would say put it back in with non setting mastic which I am sure you will find it was done with originally so the bonus will be a lot less cleaning up before you refit than there would be if you were to go the Sikaflex/PU adhesive route.

Martin

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Isn't butile tape the correct sealant for setting Windows?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure.

Sorry, not a permanent solution but just love saying/typing it.

Did our roof for a bit!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back