"leaking" thetford toilet cassette (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
I have just bought a replacement "Thetford Toilet C200 Cassette Fresh Up Kit" that we find does not seal properly when the handle is shut, so it drains into the cassette while one is 'sitting in state' using it.

This could be the fault of

1) the cassette (but the supplier at the moment is refusing to replace it)
2) the handle/closing arrangement on the main unit one sits on

Before I make a big fuss and start quoting the Trade Descriptions Act etc to get a replacement - on the assumption that is 1) above - has anybody had experience of problem 2)?

PS The toilet has had a SOG bog unit added to it - if you know what I mean

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thats interesting, i was going to order the freshen up kit for our van, also a C200 cassette. I take it they definitely sent you the right one? Maybe the new seal has a fault?

OP
OP
dochiley
Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
It is the right one, though they now all have wheels whilst the original didn't. But is it the seal, therein lies the problem? If I get them to replace it and it is the same, no solution achieved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If the seal is the right one for your cassette, I have to say that I suspect you might not have fitted it correctly; or possibly that in fitting it you have damaged the slice face or action somehow?

OP
OP
dochiley
Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
The seal is part of the cassette that is supplied and the whole unit simply slides in, so not poss to damage

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I meant the seal might have a manufacturing fault, try taking it off to see if there is a nick or tag on it.....rather you than me though!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
The seal is part of the cassette that is supplied and the whole unit simply slides in, so not poss to damage

On a C200?
Are you sure that's the cassette you've got?
Here are 2 videos showing how easy it is to change the seal on a C200 cassette. It's a piece of cake to do but it certainly is not a "the wholew unit slides in" job:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Never had anything to drain into the cassette always have the top open when using the seal is to stop anything coming out and you have to keep cleaning the flap?

Joe

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Yep. Open it to use, or you get 'peegate ' at the very least!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
On a C200?
Are you sure that's the cassette you've got?
Here are 2 videos showing how easy it is to change the seal on a C200 cassette. It's a piece of cake to do but it certainly is not a "the wholew unit slides in" job:

Think he meant the cassette just slides in.;)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have heard of people putting some lino on the floor of the cassette opening and so lifting the whole cassette. Shouldn't have to do it with a new cassette though.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I meant the seal might have a manufacturing fault, try taking it off to see if there is a nick or tag on it.....rather you than me though!
Shouldn't have to strip anything down to see the condition of the mating surface of the seal.

OP
OP
dochiley
Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
Thanks to everybody, its a brand new cassette so one would expect the mating surface to be A1. So nobody is suggesting the lever/closure mechanism might be dodgy?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Thanks to everybody, its a brand new cassette so one would expect the mating surface to be A1. So nobody is suggesting the lever/closure mechanism might be dodgy?

I think the suggestion is to have it open when you use it (y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We bought a new C200 kit recently and at first it was quite a tight fit and we noticed that it needed to be pushed fairly firmly into the cassette cupboard before it was sited correctly. Have you looked down your toilet to check that the holes are meeting up perfectly. Ours weren't. It has eased up now with a bit of use and goes into place more easily.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think your using it wrongly the correct way is to open the flap before use, the seal is to stop leakage between toilet and cassette and to close the cassette when you remove it its not designed to have fluid trapped above it in the bowl
part of the design is the dip in the center which collectes any run off from the pan after its closed

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
i think your using it wrongly the correct way is to open the flap before use, the seal is to stop leakage between toilet and cassette and to close the cassette when you remove it its not designed to have fluid trapped above it in the bowl
part of the design is the dip in the center which collectes any run off from the pan after its closed
Don't think that's correct, seal has two sides internal, stops leakage and external, stops fluids etc from going anywhere apart from the cassette.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It is possible to fit the seal upside down as one side is thicker (?) than the other. Could have been fitted incorrectly when first assembled.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
T
That's wrong I'm afraid ... it can be used with or without the blade open, it makes no difference at all, this is clearly stated in the Thetford owner's manual ...

upload_2017-7-27_8-9-28.png

upload_2017-7-27_8-7-58.png

My suspicion is that the new type cassette with wheels fits slightly differently than the non-wheel version and may need some adjustment to make it fit better - not ideal.

It could also be that the handle isn't going totally across to close the blade, this may be due to the design of the new cassette or it simply being new - try putting the old cassette in and make sure the blade is definitely fully closed then mark the position on the toilet base, then try the same with the new cassette and see if it goes to the same position as this would show if this was the cause.

OP
OP
dochiley
Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
Thanks Minxy, very comprehensive. You are correct about the design, I had to take the wheels off to allow it to go in sufficiently for the door with the SOG Bog fan unit in it to close!! At which point the long handle became redundant, so that has been removed as well!! It is still a bit tight, but unfortunately I have dumped the old unit so I can't do a "compare and contrast" as you suggest. But I will look more closely next time it is empty and also I will fill it with water, stand it up on end and see if it leaks

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Thanks Minxy, very comprehensive. You are correct about the design, I had to take the wheels off to allow it to go in sufficiently for the door with the SOG Bog fan unit in it to close!! At which point the long handle became redundant, so that has been removed as well!! It is still a bit tight, but unfortunately I have dumped the old unit so I can't do a "compare and contrast" as you suggest. But I will look more closely next time it is empty and also I will fill it with water, stand it up on end and see if it leaks
I think therein lies your problem. I have read somewhere that the wheels are critical to the height of the unit to create the seal and have heard of people having to put tape around the wheels when they are getting worn to restore the correct height.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think therein lies your problem. I have read somewhere that the wheels are critical to the height of the unit to create the seal and have heard of people having to put tape around the wheels when they are getting worn to restore the correct height.
Yes when the wheels get worn they do mean the 'coupling' isn't so tight.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you push the cassette in it has to engage with the lugs on the underside of the pan

IMG_0735.JPG

And then it pushes the cover open, it should set its own position and tension,
Hi
IMG_0732.JPG

If this is missing/not engaging it won't seal.

Martin

And NO I didn't clean it for the photo:ROFLMAO:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too keep the flap open. I then squat on the seat rather than sit with a set of cross hairs tied between my knees and after a bit of practice, I can now bomb the cassette without touching the sides. Not a good technique though if you have had a curry or two.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mine was leaking liquid to the top of the tank so used silicone spray onto blade when not in use which improved the contact , problem sorted.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think therein lies your problem. I have read somewhere that the wheels are critical to the height of the unit
The missing handle might also be a problem. On my cassette the lugs on the bottom of the handle are also used to hold it up in position.

Sallybee

Free Member
Aug 6, 2018
Funster No
I always keep it closed when I 'go', paranoid about something jumping up at me! I do put a couple of squares of paper to stop mess!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back