Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning all,
Please could anyone offer me some help with fixing a leak on my Autotrail Apache 700 SE 2010. I think the leak is coming from a joint at the back if the motorhome roof as the plastic capping doesn't appear to go right along the back of the motorhome for some reason? See photos attached. Is it a case of just re-sealing the joints with a sealant and buying some new capping and stick it down with Sika? What type sealant would be best to use?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210131_165026.jpg
    20210131_165026.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 20210131_165046.jpg
    20210131_165046.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 306
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
On my Auto-trial Mohawk the capping's do not go the full width, I would remove the capping and replace with new unless the old sealant comes off easily.

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Diabalo, that's interesting to know that your capping doesn't go all the way across either.

Do you or does anyone else know what sealant I could use to re-seal the joint please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The screw in the corner looks loose. how long have you owned the van? Just wondering by your date of joining Fun if its our old van.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Before you attack the roof are you 100% it’s leaking there. Common places are around a window or garage door. Just a thought.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The screw in the corner looks loose. how long have you owned the van? Just wondering by your date of joining Fun if its our old van.

And the cupped washer appears to be missing.

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
All the screws were a bit loose. I've tightened them and that seems to have made a bit of difference but some water is still coming in. I'm not 100% sure the water is coming from there but I can see drops of water coming down on both corners just below these joints so I think this might be the problem?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As Ivory55 states, make sure that is the actual where any leak is coming from.
Places to also check are the rear highlevel brake light, reversing camera and the Heki/rooflight. Water can easily enter and run along and down. (y)

Re sealant Sikaflex is the obvious choice but if you have a Toolstation nearby, I used this for fixing solar panels and sealing joints etc on previous vans.

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have had the van for just over a year now.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
The capping in the photo is a snap fit aluminium strip that covers the joint seal, This strip is a very tight fit and buckles when removed so therefore not reuseable.
The joint seal is bedded on sealant and is held down with self tapping screws.
I found that the roof of my van was holding water in the corner ( your photo one) when not parked level therefore a potential leak problem via the exposed screws.
I resealed the screws and then made up fairing blocks in white laminate that covers the screws and deflects the water away from the corners.

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all for your advice. Pelican, you mentioned re-sealing the screws, how do you do this please? Do you think doing this then resealing the joint with sikaflex or similar and then adding extra capping to go the whole length of the MH would be a good idea?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Try to angle the van when parked up on the drive so that water doesn’t pool in that area.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The dirt that is shown in both photo's is an indicate that water is gathering there and not moving.

I would remove the capping, take every screw out on that strip even 'gently' with thin wedges, lift the topmost surface. (Not by much!)

I would then scrape out as much of the existing sealant between those two surfaces making sure that any remaining sealant didn't gather in a lump that would prevent you screwing it down again.

I would then force new adhesive/sealant into that joint by piping the sealant along the bottommost surface adjacent to the joint and palette knife it into the joint until you are satisfied that there is a continuous, decent amount between the surfaces. Then replace the original screws with stainless screws. You can then reapply a full length cap knowing that underneath is sealed and complete.

As for sealant, I would use either the right numbered Sikaflex (they make a bewildering range) or Toolstation's Puraflex 40. I have used the latter and can recommend.
It also occurs, looking at the photos, that a bead running up that joint between the vertical surfaces wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited:
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
You need to be sure that the screwholes are dry or the sealant will not bond and as others have advised used sika flex ( there are many types for different applications) or puribond.
If you fit a cover strip the full width of roof you will prevent water run off and water will still sit in the corners. The fairing block idea will deflect water away from corner. I suppose you could leave a gap at the end.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It may seem obvious--- but---- ensure the area you are sealing is very dry and cleaned with mastic type solvent cleaner------ no amount of sikaflex type stuff will seal on a bad surface-‐--------- I have just fixed leak where a wire has been put through the roof and massive pile of sikaflex? had been stacked on it, but obviously roof was not cleaned first------- sorted now though😀

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's all really good advise I think. I cant thank you all enough. I'll wait for a try spell and will get on with that. Many thanks.

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Will do Mitch (y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That's all really good advise I think. I cant thank you all enough. I'll wait for a try spell and will get on with that. Many thanks.
The problem with waiting for a dry spell is it is getting worse all the time.
Is it possible to get a roof cover in the meantime or indoor storage until you can tackle it.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Park in nose down and cover the rear of roof

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good point, may be a good idea to cover wit and facing down the hill. I'll do that. Thanks again all.

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
We have an older Autotrail Cheyenne 1998, I also have similar join at the rear but with no capping and we had a small leak at the corner also which turned out to be the sealant had disintegrated or been put on badly, I was going to purchase Eternabond and do the whole length and corners but bought this instead, been on a year now with no issues.Comes in different widths and lengths and I found it easy to apply,

Amazon product ASIN B07798C528

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have an older Autotrail Cheyenne 1998, I also have similar join at the rear but with no capping and we had a small leak at the corner also which turned out to be the sealant had disintegrated or been put on badly, I was going to purchase Eternabond and do the whole length and corners but bought this instead, been on a year now with no issues.Comes in different widths and lengths and I found it easy to apply,

adaps

Free Member
May 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
I'm a newbie with the same problem - Message for "The Curly's" were you able to reslove this issure and any further advice will help

OP
OP
T

The Curly's

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I just tightened the screws on the roof and that seems to of done the trick. It's been dry ever since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back