Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I have a solar panel fitted (120 watt) but this time of the year there is not much sun. I have found in necessary lately to plug into mains to top up the battery. I am suspecting that the batteries may need replacing

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Batteries are kaput…

Tanya will offer good replacements….

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Batteries are kaput…

Tanya will offer good replacements….
I just ordered a 115ah Banner one from Tanya today with next day delivery. My van I picked up last week only lasted 1 day with a solar panel while off grid the last 2 nights. Last night the heating wouldn't kick in after 2am due low voltage. It had a Halfords 115ah fitted so it must be kaput too.

I suspect I could moan to the dealers about it but they would probably palm me off with another used one from another van on the pitch so for the £135 with next day delivery at least I'll now have new with a proper warranty.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I just ordered a 115ah Banner one from Tanya today with next day delivery. My van I picked up last week only lasted 1 day with a solar panel while off grid the last 2 nights. Last night the heating wouldn't kick in after 2am due low voltage. It had a Halfords 115ah fitted so it must be kaput too.

I suspect I could moan to the dealers about it but they would probably palm me off with another used one from another van on the pitch so for the £135 with next day delivery at least I'll now have new with a proper warranty.
I think a minimum of two leisure batteries should be in vans now with all the demands of modern living…

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I think a minimum of two leisure batteries should be in vans now with all the demands of modern living…
I agree.. My last van I added a 2nd battery.

I think ill probably do the same on this. Just a shame the battery box is cut into the floor and flush. Ill have to mount the 2nd one above the floor under the side sofa.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 21.06.58.png

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Is it normal for the leisure battery to lose charge when not in use, say over a week period down to half capacity
i would list some facts and figures for a informed response.

What voltage did you start at?
What have they dropped to?
Time period?
Age / type of battery?
That sort of thing.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I had to jump start my van on Wednesday last week. I posted about bypassing my battery maintainer as the cr*p weather recently has meant that my 175watt solar panel is not raising the voltage on my two leisure batteries above the 13.3v needed to open the maintainer and allow current through to the starter battery. I duly fitted the required link and went home happy. Back to the van today to find ALL the batteries down to 12.4v. My solar panel did not provide enough to keep them topped up. I have now removed the link and isolated the starter battery at the terminal. I have an old alarm immobilizer which was fitted when I bought the van which drains the start battery within about 7-10 days. I wouldn't write off your batteries until you know how big a drain you have on them.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't agree with that at all 😳 we manage perfectly well with one 85ah gel battery and 1 x 150w solar panel, Ann has the TV on most of the night sometimes too. Had to switch the ehu charger on a couple of times lately now the sun is getting lower but that's inadequate solar not battery.

From what I've read on here for the past 7 years I think battery capacity problems lie with not keeping all parasitic drains under control, they certainly add up, and some quiescent drains are horrifying 😱

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Don't agree with that at all 😳 we manage perfectly well with one 85ah gel battery and 1 x 150w solar panel, Ann has the TV on most of the night sometimes too. Had to switch the ehu charger on a couple of times lately now the sun is getting lower but that's inadequate solar not battery.

From what I've read on here for the past 7 years I think battery capacity problems lie with not keeping all parasitic drains under control, they certainly add up, and some quiescent drains are horrifying 😱
Are you sure..? You don’t agree then you admit you system isn’t coping…🤔

My mistake for a flippant remark about needing two batteries when I should have delved into the requirements of enough solar and controllers to maintain the batteries to never have to plug into EHU..😆

But I haven’t got all night so I won’t…😉

Anyway, we’ll have a beer next week and discuss it when I’m down your way…. 🍻 how long are you there for…

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I've got 120 watt solar but with the lack of sunlight the batteries drain to about 50% over a weekly period. When I plug into the mains overnight the batteries charge and hold charge for about a week

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Are you sure..? You don’t agree then you admit you system isn’t coping…🤔

My mistake for a flippant remark about needing two batteries when I should have delved into the requirements of enough solar and controllers to maintain the batteries to never have to plug into EHU..😆

But I haven’t got all night so I won’t…😉

Anyway, we’ll have a beer next week and discuss it when I’m down your way…. 🍻 how long are you there for…
No I only have to switch the charger on the next day if cloudy, the battery lasts all night easily. It's Usually about 60% in the morning. IMO if you've got enough solar, batteries only have to last from dusk to sunrise 😎

We need to be out of the EU zone by 1st of December so we'll be leaving Benidorm on November 29th 😑

🤣 joking, err maybe 20th but not booked the tunnel yet 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back