Le Tour (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Looking to see the start of the Tour de France 3rd-6th July,are their any another funsters thinking of going?
Sites are now been advertised such as Velofest but not knowing the Dales to well would like to hear other suggestions from those that know the area
Thanks
Tony

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Tony

We are going to a little CL near Harrogate so will go to Leeds on the Friday and then on the route at Otley on Saturday and then the finish in Harrogate, Sunday will possibly be the climb out of Blubberhouses, booked in about a year ago and has been fully booked for a long time.

We will have the Tandem in the garage so hopefully OK for transport (apart from Leeds on the Friday which will be bus).

Velofest is one of the big events and looks quite good.

Lots of places will be booked already so dont think about it for too long.

Martin

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Don't let that Tony join in - he'll beat the lot of them::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Looking to see the start of the Tour de France 3rd-6th July,are their any another funsters thinking of going?
Sites are now been advertised such as Velofest but not knowing the Dales to well would like to hear other suggestions from those that know the area
Thanks
Tony

Broken Link Removed - it will pass by the door there, but don't know what they will charge. Good pub too.

Catherine

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Stop at home and watch it on the tele. See more and won't get ripped off.:Smile:

If you have ever seen a stage of Le Tour live you will know that is just not the same on TV and if you haven,t why not give it a try you might even enjoy it.

I dont think that it is compulsory to get ripped off, we are on a CL at the usual price which I dont think is a rip off when demand outstrips supply about 10 fold.

Martin

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We're staying at Silsden AFC. It was expensive at £99 for upto three nights, but cheaper than a lot of other sites. No electric hook-up, but there is water available.
As it's a football club, they have a clubhouse with showers etc and a bar. Short cycle to see the event on the Saturday and then it comes right past on the Sunday. Looking forward to it now!!

(there might be some alcohol involved as we're staying with my sister-in-law (Swift Escape) and brother-in-law (Kontiki) we're the odd one out with a quality German van !)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've had to go down to Derbyshire from Tees-side several times in the last couple of weeks and there are going to be restrictions on many roads.

The restrictions are not just in Yorkshire but also extend into north Derbyshire where the A628, A57 and A624 are affected.

There are notices on the A1, north and south, warning of delays and Junction 47 will be closed so no access to Leeds Bradford Airport from the A1 there.

Signs warning of parked vehicles being towed away even appear on roads several miles from the actual route.

The population of Glossop (where we've needed to go) is about 32,000 and they are expecting between 30,000 and 40,000 visitors on Sunday. Smaller towns/villages could be even more affected, people wise.

Anyone going anywhere near the route (whether for the event or anything else) between 4th and 7th July would be well advised to check the to avoid problems.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Pop across to France and see how the French watch the race. They will be parked along the verges and in the laybys with no hassle from the Police so long as you are off the road they don't care, and it will be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to watch. No rip off in France. Watch for the Devon flag!

colyboy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Pop across to France and see how the French watch the race. They will be parked along the verges and in the laybys with no hassle from the Police so long as you are off the road they don't care, and it will be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to watch. No rip off in France. Watch for the Devon flag!

colyboy
I think the problem is infrastructure in some areas. I don't know about France but in the Glossop area, where I grew up, the population and car ownership have grown dramatically and there are a lot of properties which have no off-street parking because many of the streets were built in the Victorian era or the early 20th century. In order to maintain a semblance of normal life for residents in the face of an expected 30,000-40,000 visitors there alone (something like 7 miles from the closest point of the event) lots of controls have had to be put in place.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
This is freeee to watch too! We've seen it in France in the past and it's a great sceptical!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Spare a thought for the essential HGV drivers doing the milk runs, food deliveries etc, who need to stop for a break and then you can begin to appreciate why some lay- byes will have restricted parking. As far as I know they have not been given any exemptions, so they will have to stop somewhere and avoid the closures. That reminds me, shop before I go today cos you just know it's going to be chaos for a few days.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One good thing that will come out of it (albeit temporarily) is that HGVs will be forced to use the M62 instead of the A628 (and, possibly, A57 & A624), a restriction that should have been brought in decades ago.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
From what I'm hearing in Glossop the local council / county council haven't had much say in what goes on re road closures etc. Once the route was agreed the Tour de France organisation took over and it is they who have insisted on the restrictions even in nearby places like Glossop, Hadfield and Padfield. The nearest the race will come to us is about 5 miles away but we are the nearest town to the A628 ( Woodhead) section of the race.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I hope they all stop and wait at red traffic lights even if there is nothing coming...

They better not ride on pavements...

And they better all ride single file...

And no under taking please.

JJ :cool:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We're heading to Naburn tomorrow, our usual site at the usual prices.
A nice meal in the Blacksmith's Arms tomorrow evening (they do a great gluten-free menu),
A river bus ride into York on Saturday (tapas and sangria for lunch (y)),
A cycle ride to the shopping outlet on Sunday to join in with all the Tour fun.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From what I'm hearing in Glossop the local council / county council haven't had much say in what goes on re road closures etc. Once the route was agreed the Tour de France organisation took over and it is they who have insisted on the restrictions even in nearby places like Glossop, Hadfield and Padfield. The nearest the race will come to us is about 5 miles away but we are the nearest town to the A628 ( Woodhead) section of the race.
Why should they Marie? What has it to do with them? :RollEyes: One of my cousins has to travel up to Sunderland on that Sunday so they are staying with her brother near Wilmslow on the Saturday night and using the M6/A66 to avoid any problems.

As regards riding in single file (I know JJ's comment was tongue in cheek) that's something to watch out for in the coming days. As we were coming home yesterday there was an organised event coming down the A6024 onto the A628 and then the B6105 to Padfield. We rounded a bend on the B6105 to see three cyclists riding abreast coming towards us, one on our side of the road. I was driving well within the speed limit but it could have been nasty if they had met a driver who was speeding (as many do there).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back