N
Dec 17, 2013
Littlehampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo A698g
Exp
Since 2010
I would arrive with a full tank - there might be a queue for the tap. Not sure why you want two pitches as from google Maps its just a big grass field.

For the electric you might be wise to get one of these, even if you don't need it for Le Mans you may on any other sites you might stay at.

Amazon product ASIN B00EHI8WR4
www.amazon.co.uk/European-Adaptor-Coupler-Caravan-Camping/dp/B00EHI8WR4/
Already got most adapters, even a splitter in case it's busy.
The big field is still divided into 7m x 5m pitches, so being over 7m, we have to have 2. It's only £79 extra and we get more space.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
N
Dec 17, 2013
Littlehampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo A698g
Exp
Since 2010
sailpics I've been to Le Mans every year since 2005 and the Le Mans Classic from 2010, we always stay at Maison Blanche.

For all things Le Mans have a look at Beermountain

Andrew
Already looked through Beermountain, but even they admit it's getting a bit out of date so looking for any recent info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
I've been many times, also to the bike 24 Hrs, even if you don't like cars or motor racing, as others will tell you, this has to be one of the best events that you will ever go to. You really need to camp so you can hang out around the pits /start line general area as this is where most of the action is, on and generally off the track.
If you are concerned about a hook up, just take a generator, it's what most people use anyway, no one cares about the noise. You won't be getting a quiet night anyway :LOL:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett may not like this news

Coolcats may not like this.

A breakdown of where hydrogen is going to be great and where it won't be. By a chemical engineer who works on this stuff.

1630602365863.png

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
And many of the classics drove there, raced, and drove home again.
Have you been to the classic Le Mans. Is the racing serious?

Aug 27, 2021
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 640
Exp
In my experience you need to get there at least by Wednesday as if you don’t the Germans will have built their own little village

you will have the time of your life “ rain or shine” 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I would arrive with a full tank - there might be a queue for the tap. Not sure why you want two pitches as from google Maps its just a big grass field.

For the electric you might be wise to get one of these, even if you don't need it for Le Mans you may on any other sites you might stay at.

Amazon product ASIN B00EHI8WR4
www.amazon.co.uk/European-Adaptor-Coupler-Caravan-Camping/dp/B00EHI8WR4/
Absolute must, also steel wire and crimps to hold it on and also to connect the 2 x 25m cables or someone else who didn’t bring the right kit will simply nick yours, I’d get there Tuesday and establish “your area” some collapsible water containers and a bit of rope is a good idea.

Awning out straight away, and spread chairs etc out, once the areas around you are filling make friends and co-operate to maintain the area, then share beer and food and be nice.

ice boxes full of beer and ice, you have no idea how much you'll need, so take more.

A generator is a great idea, but keep it safe.

If you leave early on Monday make sure your sober.

If you see a British Auto-sleeper on a 63 plate with a cob BBQ hanging off the bike rack you are obliged to give him beer, lots of it 😉

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Porches curves is a terrific place to camp, tarmac with a few taps - good place to get to know other enthusiasts as it’s quite tight! . Don’t bother trying to sleep as it very loud. Well organised too.
If you have push bikes it is easy to get everywhere although there is a shuttle bus. Didn’t enjoy the procession in Le Mann much - went on forever and not very exciting. After the race we rode along the track with our bikes. A must go event.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Yes to both.
But I usually have a better time at the Spa Classic and Spa 24 Hours than at Le Mans. I find it tiresome being yelled at to do burnouts when returning to the camp site at Le Mans. But the drive down to Le Mans (whether for the 24 Hours or the Classic) is more of an occasion by many orders of magnitude than the drive to the Spa races.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It is looking more and more like a lads trip. I don’t think my wife would be very interested in a 24. Hour car race.
When my husband was going every year (he and his mates took a week’s trip over it), our daughter and I had a week in the Canaries (in Easter school holidays) instead! 🙂

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
The reason I go to Expo is that the pitches are not marked out- you get there and create your "own space" (we normally get there on Wednesday lunchtime) . the site is a farmers show ground so we normally commandeer one of the cow sheds (basically a barn with an open side- more of a shelter really) We set the tables and chairs in the shed, so if it rains we are dry and if it is sunny we have some shade and then arrange the vans so that we retain a "private" area. There is water at the end of every row and there is normally an electric connection point, although these are hit and miss and within 24 hours you will see a spiders web of cables connecting to it- so as mentioned above it is worth finding a way of securing your plug otherwise someone will just unplug it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

A breakdown of where hydrogen is going to be great and where it won't be. By a chemical engineer who works on this stuff.

View attachment 532593
Th future is bright the future contains Hydrogen :)

Edited to say @Gomett the comments about it being inefficient and ineffective is biassed if you took a F1 Car in the 1950's and refuelled it, it probably took around 9 times as long as it does today, it takes imagination, curiosity and vision to make changes. Whilst the Hydrogen model does not fit models within your understanding, it does not mean that Hydrogen will not progress and develop. One Chemical engineer comment whilst need to be taken in to consideration does not make them more right than another perspective, particular when you see developments happening.

A lot of developments from F1 and race settings have found thier way in to everyday vehicles we use making them more efficient or safer without he aid of a chemical engineer ;)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

View attachment 532593

And how would an all-BEV Le Mans 24h endurance race deal with pits stops? Battery swapping or charging? How much time needed in the pits?

I've watched a bit of the E-Touring Cars series. The format seems to be based on only 3 laps of the circuit so even more daft than Formula E which looks rather like giant Scalextric. Might as well be a video game.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I remember my first camping trip to France in 1971 about a week after the race. Progressing from Le Mans towards Tours on the old N138, I suddenly became aware of being flanked by temporary grandstands and half expected my trusty Austin 1100 being trampled by a flying Porsche.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And how would an all-BEV Le Mans 24h endurance race deal with pits stops? Battery swapping or charging? How much time needed in the pits?

I've watched a bit of the E-Touring Cars series. The format seems to be based on only 3 laps of the circuit so even more daft than Formula E which looks rather like giant Scalextric. Might as well be a video game.
I don't think BEV are the answer to Le Mans any more than hydrogen is the answer to cars.

For Endurance racing probably ethanol is the answer.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I don't think BEV are the answer to Le Mans any more than hydrogen is the answer to cars.

For Endurance racing probably ethanol is the answer.
Ethanol was/is a race fuel for Indycars in the USA. One safety drawback is that an ethanol fire is practically invisible - you don't see the flames. It does seem a retrograde step rather than an improvement. We will have to wait and see what the proposed hydrogen powered prototype category can do. Major car manufacturers are taking this seriously.

Endurance racing is effectively a test laboratory for innovations that improve road cars. It has made road cars much more energy efficient, for example better diesel injection systems and hybrid powertrains using smaller ICE engines. These better technologies were developed by Audi, Peugeot, Toyota etc. to meet reducing fuel allowances (by weight not volume) under LM Regs intended to make racing greener. Arguably a better test laboratory than F1 which seems to be going down a technological blind alley, chasing very marginal increments in performance, especially aerodynamics and downforce, that won't translate directly into improvements to road cars where reducing drag is more important for economy.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ethanol was/is a race fuel for Indycars in the USA. One safety drawback is that an ethanol fire is practically invisible - you don't see the flames. It does seem a retrograde step rather than an improvement. We will have to wait and see what the proposed hydrogen powered prototype category can do. Major car manufacturers are taking this seriously.

Endurance racing is effectively a test laboratory for innovations that improve road cars. It has made road cars much more energy efficient, for example better diesel injection systems and hybrid powertrains using smaller ICE engines. These better technologies were developed by Audi, Peugeot, Toyota etc. to meet reducing fuel allowances (by weight not volume) under LM Regs intended to make racing greener. Arguably a better test laboratory than F1 which seems to be going down a technological blind alley, chasing very marginal increments in performance, especially aerodynamics and downforce, that won't translate directly into improvements to road cars where reducing drag is more important for economy.
Can't disagree with that.

Perhaps endurance racing of a variety of it will do the same for BEVs :p

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Can't disagree with that.

Perhaps endurance racing of a variety of it will do the same for BEVs :p

maybe not and this is where Hydrogen comes in compared to BEV’s​

Andrew Frankel: Battery power spells end of fun small cars

“It has not been a great month for fans of electric racing cars. First Volkswagen shut its motor sport department, killing its extraordinary Pikes Peak-busting, Goodwood Hill record-smashing ID R in the process. Then Audi withdrew from Formula E, followed with undignified haste two days later by BMW.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

“It has not been a great month for fans of electric racing cars. First Volkswagen shut its motor sport department, killing its extraordinary Pikes Peak-busting, Goodwood Hill record-smashing ID R in the process. Then Audi withdrew from Formula E, followed with undignified haste two days later by BMW.
The German companies are pulling out of all sorts. They have serious financial problems. Don't read too much into that.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It’s not just car companies pulling out of battery racing. The TT zero has been scrapped too.
I think there are many reasons for this, not least that battery car and bike fans probably aren’t racing fans resulting in smaller crowds which doesn’t help to make the cost of staging these events viable.
I honestly cannot see the Le Mans 24 having the same pulling power with the fans if it goes battery powered. At least the fans would get some sleep without the howling race cars😂😂.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Who knew - Formula E cars by Audi and BMW? The cars all look the same to me. It's like a one-make series, for street circuits nobody else wants to race on. Maybe they are modded under the skin but apart from the paint jobs you can't tell the cars apart. The race results seem almost random.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It’s not just car companies pulling out of battery racing. The TT zero has been scrapped too.
I think there are many reasons for this, not least that battery car and bike fans probably aren’t racing fans resulting in smaller crowds which doesn’t help to make the cost of staging these events viable.
I honestly cannot see the Le Mans 24 having the same pulling power with the fans if it goes battery powered. At least the fans would get some sleep without the howling race cars😂😂.

There was nothing else like the sound of the old Corvettes at LM! While the diesel LMP1s made a strange hiss, like big kettles. I remember some fans started a campaign for real engine noise.

You can't get excited about the whine of electric motors.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
A fellow Austin Healey owner and motorhomer has used this site in the past for Classic and 24 hours. It’s off track offering a shuttle service.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Are campsites/tickets available now? (Not packages - purchasing direct from the circuit) I signed up for notification of when tickets were available but haven't heard anything.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Are campsites/tickets available now? (Not packages - purchasing direct from the circuit) I signed up for notification of when tickets were available but haven't heard anything.
Worth phoning/emailing them

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!