Le Mans 2012 anybody? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway.

Le Mans 2012 is an aniversary year but more important is the range of cars being entered next year.

As usual lots of British interest, plus probably the Delta/Jet car, a Hybrid car plus the wonder cars that make up the prototype classes.

Do any people from this forum travel to Le Mans each year or only a select few, or even none?

We have booked a camp site and admission tickets. Many of the sites are sold out already if booked direct with lemans.org but many of the ticket agencies have deals for package trips including crossings.

Are there any other enthusiasts out there?

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Yup
One here, first time.
Going with one other motorhomer
We leave on the Wednesday and return the following Tuesday.
We'll have to arrange to meet up and share a beer :thumb::thumb:

Cheers. Nige

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Where are you camping Nige, we are at Beausejour, a camp site we haven't used before but recommended for some of the best views on the circuit.

We'll be there from Saturday a week before the race so we can get into Le Mans town for some of the scrutineering, plus a meal and drink at one of the famous bars.

If you haven't been yet you have a treat in store. Whatever your interest that is vaguely cars or motorsport there so much for everybody. Got to be one of the biggest international partys in Europe.

We are meeting up with Dutch friends also with a MH, they have similar backgrounds in the classic car industry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
Are there any other enthusiasts out there?[/QUOTE]

Shall be attending the Le Mans Classic great event July 6th to 8th July :thumb:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi,
We are going this year, last went three years ago and had a fantastic time. We managed to camp at maison blanche but doubt if we would be that lucky again although looking at the circuit I see that it has moved.
Paul

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Yep, off to Le Mans 24 hour again next year, it's an annual pilgrimage for me.

Arriving on the Sunday before the race and camping on Tertre Rouge. I just love to get there early and soak up the "build up" atmosphere.

I take the M/H while others in our party tend to have tents. I act as the "Mother Ship" and enjoy the comforts to which us motorhomers have become accustomed. :thumb:

I will have my fun stickers on the windscreen so if you are passing by drop in for a cup of tea!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

If anyone is using Beasejour I would be prepared for a busy, noisy time. I was there a couple of years ago and they did not even have water taps, which was a drag.

Again, if this is the first time, a couple of sites to google are Club Arnage and Pistonheads.

Rolll on June :Smile:

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
We will be going ,booked in at Expo Motorhome camp site .Stayed last 3 times on Houx which is very handy for facilities but are going to give Expo a try .Motorhomes only so it may be level and quieter but we may miss out on the party atmosphere.
It looks like we have all booked different camp sites but if someone would like to arrange a funsters meet up we will be pleased to attend with a few beers.:roflmto::roflmto:On LD lines Portsmouth Le harve Tues 12th June
Sid

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
le mans 2012

Yup we are booked we will be on PZ54 from 12/6/12 until 20/6/12, which I understand is by the Porsche curves.
It will be both our first trip over the channel and to the event with our RV, although we have been before as a coach visitor.

I think we will need to take a couple of bikes as it looks a bit of a jaunt to the entrance from where we are. We are looking forward to the drivers parade in the town too which was quite an event when we last went.

We were on the 12/06/12 11am Sea France sailing from Calais but I understand that we are now on P&O round about the same time - just waiting for confirmation from our travel agent.

Regards

Arthur:thumb:

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Arriving on the Sunday before the race and camping on Tertre Rouge. I just love to get there early and soak up the "build up" atmosphere.

I take the M/H while others in our party tend to have tents. I act as the "Mother Ship" and enjoy the comforts to which us motorhomers have become accustomed. :thumb:

I will have my fun stickers on the windscreen so if you are passing by drop in for a cup of tea!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

[HI]
If anyone is using Beasejour I would be prepared for a busy, noisy time. I was there a couple of years ago and they did not even have water taps, which was a drag.
[/HI]
Again, if this is the first time, a couple of sites to google are Club Arnage and Pistonheads.

We usually use Maison Blanche but felt like a change. Are you saying that Beausejour is just an empty field with no facilities?
I guess that whatever we will make the best of it as it wont be quite as crude as 30 something years ago.

First time visit in small Sherpa camper with pop top, didn't have own toilet so had to use the camp site ' facitiies '.
Fabulous warm day morning of the race, the camp site had started to fill right up. The ' facilities ' were being overworked in particular the urinals. The urinals were vertical sheets of metal with what looked like metal guttering running into a sort of hole, all of this without cover or sides. The ' standing position surface ' was the soil of the field, so as it was tres dry liquid drained away, that is up until the morning of the race. The extra use on race day was a challenge for the ' liquid ' to drain.

So having been there for a few days made sure that attending the urinals was in boots, and to my horror / digust / fascination the urinal had overflowed to the depth of about a 2" deep pond.
But a man has to be a man and when a space appeared took my place. Proceeded and looked at the ground/pond not to catch anyones eye as it would be too hard to acknowledge we were all standing in this p.ss

Took a double take look at my neighbours feet, he was splendid in submerged open toed sandals, mmmmmm.

But don't worry Le Mans newbies, it's moved on a bit since then!

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Yup we are booked we will be on PZ54 from 12/6/12 until 20/6/12, which I understand is by the Porsche curves.
It will be both our first trip over the channel and to the event with our RV, although we have been before as a coach visitor.

I think we will need to take a couple of bikes as it looks a bit of a jaunt to the entrance from where we are. We are looking forward to the drivers parade in the town too which was quite an event when we last went.

We were on the 12/06/12 11am Sea France sailing from Calais but I understand that we are now on P&O round about the same time - just waiting for confirmation from our travel agent.

Regards

Arthur:thumb:

PZ54 is for RV's and M/H's only and is a secure site. I have stayed there and it felt very safe, and everyone was friendly. It gets busy from the Friday morning and my recommendation would be to find a pitch down the bottom section as the top part gets a bit hectic.

The tram is a great way to get into town, but be prepared for a bit of a bun fight if going to the drivers parade as it gets very busy.

Do not worry too much about the distance to the "village" area near the pits etc. A little free "Noddy" train runs from the site entrance up to Maison Blanche and then to the main entrance during the race. Another one runs in 2 stages from Beausejour (200 yards away from PZ54) up to the tram terminus as well. I would not use the bikes during the race, but a great ride is to go into Arnage before the race, an unbelievable atmosphere there.

The Porsche curves are close and a good place to watch, especially if the track is slightly damp.

The past few years has seen a vast improvement in the organisation, and the site toilets are kept to a good standard, especially when you consider the volumes passing through them :ROFLMAO:

Beausejour is one of the real party sites, with a lot of Germans using it. As I said before, water was a problem 2 years ago and when I asked where the standpipes were I was told there were none as people bought bottled water. The toilets are near the main entrance.

One tip is to use ear plugs when sleeping. I find that they reduce the noise to a low enough volume to sleep during the parties and noise of the Corvettes.

Hope this helps

Stuart

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

[HI]Arriving on the Sunday before the race and camping on Tertre Rouge.[/HI] I just love to get there early and soak up the "build up" atmosphere.

Hello Stuart

What makes you pick Tertre Rouge? as you have obviously camped on many of the sites.

We have only stayed at Houx or Maison Blanche to stay close to the village action, so no experience outside of those two.

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello Stuart

What makes you pick Tertre Rouge? as you have obviously camped on many of the sites.

We have only stayed at Houx or Maison Blanche to stay close to the village action, so no experience outside of those two.

Tertre Rouge is quieter than the other sites and as I have aged my energy level for parties has gone a bit too :ROFLMAO:

Security is good and I find the site compact and friendly, as well as being convenient. It is possible to see the track from some of the pitches which is one reason I get there early.

One thing to think about is security, especially after the race has finished. The security teams on the gates "stand down" and as soon as this happens a lot of "outsiders" descend on the campsites and tend to help themselves to stuff deliberately left behind, or in some cases not left on purpose. I tend to stay on the Sunday night after the race and enjoy a good BBQ with the crowd I am with and other campers.

It is not a major problem, just something to be aware of. Just don't leave stuff lying around. PZ54 is better than most as Motorhomers are more self contained than tenters.

Most important thing to leave at home is grumpiness, and best thing to bring is a sense of humour and tolerance. :thumb:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
you guys that have been befor. got any preference on who to book through. direct or agent. any advice the packages seem to favour cars
looking at maybe retuning to lemans at the end of our france trip

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We are going again this year and staying at blue nord. Have previously stayed at Maison Blanche but not that lucky this time. We are going with 1st tickets who have been very helpful.
Cheers.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
you guys that have been befor. got any preference on who to book through. direct or agent. any advice the packages seem to favour cars
looking at maybe retuning to lemans at the end of our france trip

Hello nifty

We booked direct with the ACO as we and our friends don't need a ferry crossing, here's the link, look for TICKETS top right

http://www.lemans.org/en/tickets

The ACO may sell out early and this is where the ticket companies can score, as they buy block tickets in advance. Not sure if there are many companies who only sell tickets though, you may have to google or eBay that.

Good luck

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
thanks for helpfull information used 1st tickets i am on camping expo [left it a bit late to get much choice] but suits me. looking forward to this wanted to do for a long time. glyn

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
We will be on Expo so may see you there.First time on Expo for us but I belive it is all hardstanding and Motorhomes only.Hymer 594
Sid

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
We will be on Expo so may see you there.First time on Expo for us but I belive it is all hardstanding and Motorhomes only.Hymer 594
Sid

dont know how many it holds on this site probly arrive mid week as touring france fron 2nd june stopping at la mans on way home.look forward to pos meeting up [bolero 630ew] glyn:thumb:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We're on Blue sud, look for the funster flag, beer below :thumb: :thumb:

cheers nige

Join us or log in to post a reply.