Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer E510
Exp
1 year
This is my first post so I don't know if all this has been covered elsewhere, but here goes.
Going to venture abroad for a couple of weeks from March 11th and am thinking Portsmouth to Le Havre looks reasonable price and that I can avoid Paris easily to travel South.
Any advice on which routes to take, Aires etc to visit (or avoid) would be gratefully received, I understand about the motorways aire de service and will avoid them. We will arrive on the morning ferry so have the day to move southwards (hopefully towards the sun).
We like a bit of peace and quiet and would like to visit villages rather than towns or cities, we also have the muttley hound with us, so happy walking areas would be nice.
We have only been motorhoming since last year but have trundled up to Cumbria and the Lake District as well as South to the Hamble and Tewkesbury and a couple of local trips. Hope to do a lot more this year and as soon as the old beast has been serviced MOTd and re shod at the rear in Feb we should be set to go.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
:welcome:

Welcome to the Fun

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Colthecamper, If you could hint at approx route, it might give better idea which aires to recommend , also what sort of mileage you expect to do each day.
:sin:Terry:sin:

OP
OP
ColtheCamper

ColtheCamper

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer E510
Exp
1 year
Thanks all for the welcome.

Fidget, we are open to suggestions about routes, probably happy to do 4 or 5 hours driving a day, more if necessary. Would like to end up in Northern Spain if that is feasible.
Catching ferry back early on 27th so must be back at Le Havre by then but in between would just like to see some nice aires and sites. Never been to an aire before so I would like the first one to be a nice experience.
We hope to learn from others as we move around, we'll probably stop for a couple of days at a proper site somewhere. I have all the info maps and books from vicarious books on aires etc but it is still a bit daunting for the first time.
If I can manage to make it a great holiday then Jan will be all for it in the future and we will go for longer and longer periods after she retires later this year.

Thanks again all :thumb:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We did this route last autumn although we went to Mediterannean Spain, therefore crossing France. We stopped at several Aires en route as we chose to take it slowly. The book All the Aires was great and we found some lovely ones. Crossing the Millau bridge was a great experience so I would recommend that route if you haven't done it before.
If you are heading to North Eastern Spain none of that will be any use to you but if it would help let me know and I'll send info about the aires we stopped at.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Le Havre - Any advice

Hi and welcome.
If you are heading to the North West of Spain, then there are a few aires that we have used on that route.
The most common route is basically the N10 which avoids toll roads.
There is a nice aire in Pont de l’Arche just south of Rouen, this is more or less on the N10 and a very nice small town on the banks of the Seine. There is a municipal campsite adjacent to the aire which is also quite good and reasonably priced.
If you want to divert a bit there is a nice village aire in TOUR EN SOLOGNE just south of Blois where you can visit the Chambourd Chateau which has motorhome parking.
Further south there is a good village aire just outside Angouleme called Nersac which has 4 free hook ups. It is next to the village police station so very secure, there is a supermarket very close and a few shops and a bar in the village.
Cheers

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On the way back, if you're catching a morning ferry at Le Havre, consider stopping overnight in the aire at Honfleur and making a day/evening of it around the town, which certainly has a character all of its own. Next morning a quick flit over the spectacular Pont de Normandie to the ferry port.

You've also mentioned heading south for the sun. I'm not sure how far south you have in mind but the aire attached to the car park at Parc Futuroscope (Jaunay-Clan just north of Poitiers) is very convenient for those travelling down the autoroute, and if you arrive after 5pm and leave by 8am the following day it's very cheap. Large supermarket with petrol station very close by too. The only catch for Motorhomes (literally) is the 3.5m height barrier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ColtheCamper

ColtheCamper

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer E510
Exp
1 year
Tremybach, Mags52 and Magicsurfbus,
Thanks so much for your great advice. I am going to get the maps out now alongside the aires book and start planning the trip. Looking forward to our first foray into Europe, hope to meet up with some like minded folk on the way.
Going to the vets this afternoon to get 'el Mutt' her passport jabs so that she is ready to roll on the 11th.
Have some great trips yourselves this year and thanks again.
Colin and Jan (and Lucy).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Just a couple of thoughts re France-getting there & where to go.

We've done Portsmouth-Le Havre & St Malo. However, our choice these days 'cos it's almost free is to triple up Tescos vouchers for Eutotunnel vouchers. You do have to pay for the hound but your there in 35 minutes. Our choice is then meander to the Loire Atlantique (Isle de le Noirmoutier) & then down the West coast.

The other thought is about distances 'cos if a coupla weeks=2, then you will be pushing it to get to the south of France & back. A few years ago we went from St.Malo to Biarritz with an overnight en route & back. In a sense 'lost' 4 days driving & was cream-crackered after that holiday. Great if you enjoy driving or partner will share it-I enjoy the journey but really enjoy the arrival! We haven't yet tried aires since SWMBO prefers sites-ACSI, Camping Cheques are only about £15 in June & France Passion are free of course. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back