Le Crotoy (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Picture the scene a quiet aire, people enjoying a late stroll on the beach, some their evening meal and others just drinking and chatting. Then in true Hollywood style the sky darkens, the wind speed increases and it begins to rain. The noise of thunder gradually gets louder as the lightening intensifies. Parked a metre behind my van a new Chausson is struck. The vehicle's four indicators stay on with the wipers dancing back and forth. Others who witnessed the van being struck, saw the lightening disappear under my van and then under another two. When the storm subsided we all tried to extinguish our wayward indicators, but to no avail. They were on and they were staying on. The cab battery was disconnected to avoid a flat one in the morning. Unfortunately, the following morning, none of the affected vehicles would start. The engines turned over but wouldn't fire. Possible immobiliser problem was the consensus. The breakdown/recovery hotlines were called. My Peugeot was adamant it wasn't leaving Le Crotoy until it wanted to. The depannage man had other ideas. He called the Peugeot garage for assistance. Bring it in for diagnosis, but as it's Saturday better make that before 12:30 ;-)

Computer says:
ECU fried, Airbag controller fried, every controller under the sun fried plus a few other bits for good measure.

Timescale and price please Monsieur Peugeot. One week to obtain parts, 5 days to install and test, plus 2 days contingency. Price €2300.00 inc vat.

So here I am parked up on a Peugeot dealership yard until Monday. I'm not letting on who the breakdown/assistance contacts were as I'll give a detailed run down of the whole episode and how it was handled when the van is back in the UK and fixed to my satisfaction.

This is an expensive end to my holiday but I'm happy that with all that nature threw at us last night, no one was hurt.

ps - My solar charger is fried too!

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
I am speechless, so sorry to hear of all this. I hate storms in general. Have to mention that "taran" is Welsh for thunder, not funny, I know! Hope you get back to Wales safely x

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad it's not you that is fried. Sorry the van's electronics have been but the van can be fixed.

Safe onwards journey when it happens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I felt very sorry for the couple next to me in a Pilote (on a Mercedes chassis how much will that cost to fix?) they had only come down from Yorkshire for a long weekend.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
gonna be a bit difficult to argue the act of God thing...given you were there as his rep (being Welsh and all that)...they may come after youo_O

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Oh Heck ! What a close shave that was - I bet you are still mopping your brows! All the best in getting van fixed.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Only just read this, glad your ok. What did you do to upset him up there?
Safe journey home.
Dave and Sandra.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Glad to hear that you are ok Phil. We experienced the worst storm we have ever encountered whilst in the Le Crotoy area. The storm seemed to travel around the Baie de Somme, lots of thunder and lightening very scarey.
Brisey.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What a story ! Being struck by lightning is the last thing I would expect in a MH . However it could have been a lot worse. Just out of interest which one of the two aires were you in the beach one or the one overlooking the marina and the town . I hope that you get everything sorted and get your MH back on the road again .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There was a story from yonks ago about Russian fighters having electronics with valves. People laughed at first until they realised the valves would survive the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from a nuclear bomb. Perhaps modern MHs need the same?
At least no one was hurt but troubling none the less.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
seriously scary, glad you ok

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
oops Phil-you're in our book as a 'bright spark' :) -It wasn't wishfull thinking. Hope it all gets sorted ok,check the wine regularly for 'static decay'-it has to be opened and tasted to do this.
Pob hywl butty.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
What a story ! Being struck by lightning is the last thing I would expect in a MH . However it could have been a lot worse. Just out of interest which one of the two aires were you in the beach one or the one overlooking the marina and the town . I hope that you get everything sorted and get your MH back on the road again .

I was on the beach aire. Parked in the middle.

A couple in a nice Concorde parked behind me. After exchanging greetings I went for a stroll along the beach for a couple of hours. When I returned he had moved his van to a vacated side spot to avoid causing an obstruction to vans entering/leaving the aire (or perhaps it was something I said;)). That spot was taken up by the Chausson that was struck.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
how safe are motorhomes in a lightning storm? mines got ally sides but a fibreglass roof so i'm thinking not very! anyone know the facts?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I was on the beach aire. Parked in the middle.

A couple in a nice Concorde parked behind me. After exchanging greetings I went for a stroll along the beach for a couple of hours. When I returned he had moved his van to a vacated side spot to avoid causing an obstruction to vans entering/leaving the aire (or perhaps it was something I said;)). That spot was taken up by the Chausson that was struck.

you have to wonder,which attreacted the the lightning was the the SPOT were it was stuck or was the MOTORHOME,

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Look on the bright side ...... all your batteries should now be fully charged for life.

So pleased there were no injuries, except to the bank balances of those that were struck, and hope you can soon get fixed.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Modern bloody electrics :(, anyway think you’d better buy a lottery ticket now !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back