LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
how safe are motorhomes in a lightning storm? mines got ally sides but a fibreglass roof so i'm thinking not very! anyone know the facts?

I think you are thinking what I was thinking, are some designs better than others, is an alloy roof better than fibreglass faraday cage etc.

Or does it still fry the electrics.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Yikes! I was going to suggest replacing the Funster flagpole with a lightning conductor, but it doesn't sound like it would have helped :frowny:

Hope the garage sorts everything out quickly.

Thanks Neil, Our paths haven't crossed in a long time. I hope you're keeping well.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear of your troubles, :( but glad that you are able to relay the experience. At Sheringham a few weeks ago, the same happened to an elderly couple. Rita saw the flash strike there MH. It would turn over, but not start, and all central locking was lost.

Good luck with recovery, (y) as I doubt your insurers with authorise repair in France.

All the best,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Jock & Rita.

I'm resigned to paying the bill myself (I do consider myself extremely fortunate to be in a position to make that choice) as I can't do with all the hassle. I want the van back from France asap as there's still some summer left (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just heard your story last night Phil when Lunarman told me here at Welland. Glad you're OK.

I did have a thought though - if you could get the insurance to write your Autoquest off you could get a Burstner ;)

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just heard your story last night Phil when Lunarman told me here at Welland. Glad you're OK.

I did have a thought though - if you could get the insurance to write your Autoquest off you could get a Burstner ;)

Thanks Graham:), so I'm told, you have to have been really wicked in a previous life to end up with a Burstner:eek:
:D:D:D

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Wow that's a bugger!

On the upside le crotoy is lovely we stayed there 2 nights last week ....avoided the aires and found a lovely spot at the beach along the road

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And I've always been so blasé about storms....

You wouldn't be if you saw what lightning did to our house and it was next door, 75 yards away that was hit. They were set on fire but we just suffered various electric bits blown off the walls. A whole lot of computers and phones gone.

Mr Faraday says that if we are in a metal MH we are totally safe. But I would never underestimate the power of lightning.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I was just looking through our pics of holiday and going by the dates on our pics and looking at the date you posted....i just realised this was the same thunderstorm we watched through the sunroof admiring how awesome the lightning was.

We were camped on the beach at Saint - pierre - quiberon opposite fort de penthievre on the 18th and moved to Le crotoy on the 19th and 20th

It was quite a storm im sure that was the day the temperature was at 33.5°

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Strangely enough I was at St. Pierre de Quiberon the week before the storm. I stayed at the aire next to the sports stadium. As I was leaving the peninsula the Zavatta circus was just arriving in big yellow (what I think were) Kenworths towing a semi trailer plus 2 additional trailers each. I passed an area opposite the fort where motorhomes were parked. I didn't realise you could camp overnight there.

The storm was bloody frightening when it was directly overhead:eek:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Yeah that zavatta circus was huge we must have seen it in 6 different towns we were in , they must have several different groups as there's no way they were moving quicker than us lol.

Yeah I spoke to a few regulars at that camping spot at quiberon who have been camping there a few years one old chap told me in 15 years motorhoming he had never used a campsite or an aire :)
He had his grandson with him and they had a huge harvest of muscles picked on the beach that day so we ended up getting some from him.

The forts really interesting too been looking at the story about it on Wikipedia this morning those nazis really were nasty buggers.

The spot we camped at in Le crotoy was very similar think there was 10 or so vans there maybe half a mile past the aire you were in , one had been camped there a week stunning views and a beautiful secluded beach

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Has anyone heard from Phil lately, is he still stuck in Le Crotoy do we need to organise food parcels to be sent:LOL:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:Smile:Heck Phil, just seen this, hope you are sorted now and back safe,

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi John & Carol,

Thanks for your words of concern. I'm currently on my way from Montreuil sur mer to Calais ready for my ferry home very early Monday morning. The cab side of things appear to be running OK (touch wood). There is still a lot of work for me to do when I get home e.g. replace the radio, solar controller, reversing camera and thoroughly checking all of the hab electrics which may also require replacing some batteries.

On a more positive note - I will be able to stock up at Cite Europe and despite the hiccup due to the lightning I've had a great holiday but I am itching to get home and off to the Oulton park Gold cup.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Glad you are sorted enough to get you home.

Do not forget Cite Europe is closed on a Sunday!

Auchan had some good offers on Roche Mazet when we came back.

See you soon

John & Ange

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks John. I got to Cite Europe early enough to ensure their stocktaking will be considerably easier for them this year :D I'm off to Pidou now as they're open 7 days a week. I'm adept at turning wine into water but unfortunately not the other way around;)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Crikey Phil, only just found your thread - so glad you are OK and back on home soil after your adventures. We were caught in a lightening storm a few years ago in our caravan when it struck and took out our Electroblok, it was really scary, but like you, as veterans we didn't spill a drop either!

Hope to see you soon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Will you be able to claim on insurance for the damage or is the thunderbolt seen as an act of God?

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Will you be able to claim on insurance for the damage or is the thunderbolt seen as an act of God?

I'm not sure how you would stand but I suspect the insurance company would pay out. That's based on comments I've had from friends who were previously in the insurance business.
Having not put it to the test I can't be 100% certain.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:unsure:Do they have storms there in September?:unsure:

The four vans affected were Europeans so you should be OK;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back