Layout - will it work/is it any good? (1 Viewer)

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Nowt Yet! -Van Conversion
Exp
virgin newbie!
Van layout.jpg
Evening/morning all,

I have worked out a layout of what I would like if I do end up doing a PVC. I don't have a van at present so I've had to use measurements from the internet and hope they are accurate. I wouldn't be building it, I'd have to find help or pay a tradesman etc.

The van I would use has the following internal dimensions - L 4070mm (xlwb), W 1870mm and H 2172mm.

I don't have any fancy drawing software so it's just been done in 'Paint' with gridlines on. :D I have used internal measurements of - W 1850mm and L - 4060 - This is to allow for insulation, ply etc.

I haven't put eye level cabinets on or windows but there will be some where space allows. I'm not sure where the pipes, pump, boiler etc would go but there is space under the sofabed and because it is the H3 extra high roof then the floor could be built up a bit.

I've tried to allow for some 15mm furniture boards in the measurements, I realise some of the draw fronts and doors are a bit thicker.

Any feedback and suggestions would be great, thank you. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's an original layout with that central shower but I think there is a lot of wasted space and a lack of under worktop storage. For example the floor space next to the side door is going to be virtually unused most of the time. Our Murvi Morocco has a very different layout producing a lot more storage space and kitchen worktop than your design. I suggest looking at the websites of a number of PVC converters and look at their designs for inspiration.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Looks good to me. Someone does make a motorhome with a central shower.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, layout is very personal preference -what works for one may not be liked/worked for another --lots like a rear U lounge that gets made into a bed -but most of this type I see with people who actually stay in there vans end up leaving it made up as a bed :Dand throw stuff on it during the day usually sitting on the driver/passenger seats :)-I personally like the set up in my ex ambulance which has rear LH,side loo/shower followed by a wardrobe -RH side is a L shaped kitchen from loo around to leave space for 2 x 6' 6" single beds that can be made into various combos to end up with a 6' 6" sq bed -then both front seats swivel so that when entertaining etc everyone is in the one area leaving access to the kitchen/fridge area (y)rather than trying to squeeze into the U lounge and leaving 2 people at the front of the van leaning around what is inevitably the loo :D Works great for me but may not work for you(y)-look around a lot and imagine having 3 or 4 friends in the van if it's raining ;) no problem if it's sun shine you all will sit outside /raining very different matter or you could always go into your mates van :D
terry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Many years ago I had a Camelot, the shower was at the back but in the central aisle with a cover which lifted off to reveal the shower tray. Never actually used it though.

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
It's an original layout with that central shower but I think there is a lot of wasted space and a lack of under worktop storage. For example the floor space next to the side door is going to be virtually unused most of the time. Our Murvi Morocco has a very different layout producing a lot more storage space and kitchen worktop than your design. I suggest looking at the websites of a number of PVC converters and look at their designs for inspiration.

I've added a foldable/slidable worktop that will run width ways near the cabin area. As you look at the picture, from the right hand side of the bathroom overhead drawers will run along the rest of that side, across the back and all the way along the opposite side. It's only me (maybe a chick or two along the way :whistle:) so that's plenty storage for me :D. I'd like to keep as much floor space and a feeling of light etc as I can.

Lot's around Andy but they are almost all in CB vans not in the smaller confines of a PV ;)
terry

I was thinking of the Adria Twin which has something similar. I've seen it in another Van conversion too but can't remember which one.
http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Information/The-Motorhome-Awards-2013-high-top-van

Anyway Terry I might end up asking you to build it, for a fee of course (y):D

Attachments

• Van layout.jpg
    Van layout.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 12

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
[QUOTE="Tino11, post: 1067899,

Anyway Terry I might end up asking you to build it, for a fee of course (y):D[/QUOTE]
Here you go one already built to drive away --we can alter things after ;) 15k and its yours -- file:
http://terryshbautocampers.co.uk/
terry

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
[QUOTE="Tino11, post: 1067899,

Anyway Terry I might end up asking you to build it, for a fee of course (y):D
Here you go one already built to drive away --we can alter things after ;) 15k and its yours -- file:
http://terryshbautocampers.co.uk/
terry[/QUOTE]

It is very nice Terry, you've done a really good job but I definitely want to start from an empty shell and make it my own. ;)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hate to say this but how are you going to stop water leaking both sides ?or are you going to have step down into shower tray ?or step up ?-IMO it's a shit layout :DJust wanting to be different for difference sake --how do you get from back to front of van ? there's a bloody w top in the way :doh:
terry

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
Hate to say this but how are you going to stop water leaking both sides ?or are you going to have step down into shower tray ?or step up ?-IMO it's a shit layout :DJust wanting to be different for difference sake --how do you get from back to front of van ? there's a bloody w top in the way :doh:
terry

Well that's not very nice! :D The shower tray has a track that runs around the outside and a screen is pulled around it when in use, totally water tight. A step up can be done, or a cover incorparated across the tray. I'm definitely not trying to be "different for differemce sake", the Adria Twin and other vans already have the tray in the middle, it's about maximising space. The foldable worktop near the cabin was just an idea, if there is no way of incorporating it without stopping walking through from the cabin then I wouldn't bother with that part.

In terms of keeping it light and airy, full site from the drivers seat all the way to the rear window (not for rear vision but for light etc), I haven't seen much better ;).

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
THIS IS THE LAYOUT IN MY AMBULANCE
P1000374.JPG
P1000375.JPG
P1000376.JPG
P1000377.JPG
P1000378.JPG
P1000379.JPG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well that's not very nice! :D The shower tray has a track that runs around the outside and a screen is pulled around it when in use, totally water tight. A step up can be done, or a cover incorparated across the tray. I'm definitely not trying to be "different for differemce sake", the Adria Twin and other vans already have the tray in the middle, it's about maximising space. The foldable worktop near the cabin was just an idea, if there is no way of incorporating it without stopping walking through from the cabin then I wouldn't bother with that part.

In terms of keeping it light and airy, full site from the drivers seat all the way to the rear window (not for rear vision but for light etc), I haven't seen much better ;).
OK I will reserve judgement until I have seen one ;)(y)Still does not make much sense to me to have a shower in the middle that pulls across it just screams leak or trip to me ;)
terry

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
So I'm not trying to be that different then Terry ;) :D. Your ambulance layout is the type of look/feel i'm going for, I just don't have the width (even though i'm going for the widest van) that you have in the ambulance, which is why i'm saving space with the shower tray.

OK I will reserve judgement until I have seen one ;)(y)Still does not make much sense to me to have a shower in the middle that pulls across it just screams leak or trip to me ;)
terry

Watch the video on this page, about 1min 40secs in is where he shows the shower screen and tray. ;)
http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Information/The-Motorhome-Awards-2013-high-top-van

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I have a very small coach-built with a shower- room in the middle.

I am quite happy with it but if I were to re-model I would have kitchen and shower at back and bed/lounge/dinette area next to front seats (passenger seat swivels anyway)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So I'm not trying to be that different then Terry ;) :D. Your ambulance layout is the type of look/feel i'm going for, I just don't have the width (even though i'm going for the widest van) that you have in the ambulance, which is why i'm saving space with the shower tray.

Watch the video on this page, about 1min 40secs in is where he shows the shower screen and tray. ;)
I CAN UNDERSTAND THE DOOR BITS BUT the shower tray bit confuses me :D does not take a lot I know (y)I will have to go to a show one day and nick some ideas :)
BTW my ambulance is only 6'6" wide the fiat/pug/cits are supposed to be 6'4" (y) but yes once the screens are down she is very airy and everyone is seated in the one big area (y)No doubt when I do another for me I will be sticking very close to the ambulance layout -it just works ;)maybe lift the fridge a bit :)
terry

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
I CAN UNDERSTAND THE DOOR BITS BUT the shower tray bit confuses me :D does not take a lot I know (y)I will have to go to a show one day and nick some ideas :)
BTW my ambulance is only 6'6" wide the fiat/pug/cits are supposed to be 6'4" (y) but yes once the screens are down she is very airy and everyone is seated in the one big area (y)No doubt when I do another for me I will be sticking very close to the ambulance layout -it just works ;)maybe lift the fridge a bit :)
terry

Aye it confuses me too :D! I think the floor must be raised but the tray sunk slightly so it sits just under the height of the floor and then the screens slide over the top of sides? :confused:, something like that anyway. Your ambulance layout is by far the best i've seen, even compared to the pro conversions (y). If I do get a van i'm getting the XLWB and Extra High, (L4070, W1870, H2172mm) so it at least gives space to build up in places.

If you ever fancy hiring out your furniture building skills you can PM me what it would cost to build my layout ;)(y):).

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Looks good to me. Someone does make a motorhome with a central shower.
They do indeed I & I've got one.

Look at the Globecar or Pozzi range. (Same van, different branding in different countries).

Good use of space. Yes, you can't get front to back when someone is in there, but in our van, it's only the fixed bed behind it. Depends how long you spend in the shower as to whether it's a problem! Main problem is that it also blocks the door to the fridge, which stops you having breakfast while OH is in the shower, unless you plan ahead. When I'm away on my own, it's never a problem!

It has a sliding tambour door. No it doesn't leak.

Everything is a compromise in a PVC. If the shower wasn't there, it would have to be dead space somewhere else that you only used for a few minutes each day (week??). It won't suit everyone, but it's a compromise that I can live with to gain the space elsewhere.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
[QUOTE="Tino11, post: 1068007,

If you ever fancy hiring out your furniture building skills you can PM me what it would cost to build my layout ;)(y):).[/QUOTE]
I am certain arrangements can be made (y) only the other day Paul and myself were on about sticking a add on ebay etc,offering to convert peoples own vans -that way we don't have the hassel of selling them IE already sold :D converting them is easy -we already have 3 to sell but getting someone to come and look/buy is the hard bit :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi
They do indeed I & I've got one.

Look at the Globecar or Pozzi range. (Same van, different branding in different countries).

Good use of space. Yes, you can't get front to back when someone is in there, but in our van, it's only the fixed bed behind it. Depends how long you spend in the shower as to whether it's a problem! Main problem is that it also blocks the door to the fridge, which stops you having breakfast while OH is in the shower, unless you plan ahead. When I'm away on my own, it's never a problem!

It has a sliding tambour door. No it doesn't leak.

Everything is a compromise in a PVC. If the shower wasn't there, it would have to be dead space somewhere else that you only used for a few minutes each day (week??). It won't suit everyone, but it's a compromise that I can live with to gain the space elsewhere.
Hi Caller is the shower tray let into the floor and covered by a lift out board type thing?
terry

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
More or less. There is a shower tray, which has a channel lip in which the bottom of the door runs. There is a wooden cover which matches the floor in the rest of the van. It drops in & covers the shower tray. The surface of the cover is slightly higher than the surrounding floor, but only by a few mm. I notice it because it's the difference between my few remaining hairs brushing the ceiling & not - but I am over 6' 4" in my shoes. No clothes on & in the shower tray itself & I'm well clear of the roof.View media item 11956View media item 11957View media item 11958View media item 11961View media item 11955View media item 11959View media item 11960

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
Thanks Caller, it has given me a bit more of an idea and will help with layouts etc (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
If you click on each picture, to see it in the Media Gallery, I have added some notes in the description above most pictures. Look for the feint grey text.

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
If you click on each picture, to see it in the Media Gallery, I have added some notes in the description above most pictures. Look for the feint grey text.

Is the shower tray much thicker and a different material to standard ones? Also do you know what the screen is made of? (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I've never had another shower tray other than in an elderly caravan some years ago, so I can't give any meaningful comparison. It's pretty strong though - doesn't flex alarmingly when you stand in it, like the caravan one used to do! It doesn't lift up, so without dismantling half the van, I can't tell you how thick the material is, nor how it is supported underneath. It's a moulded plastic material of some sort.

When the cover is down, it's just like walking on the floor anywhere else.

I doubt you can buy one, other than as a Globecar spare part, because it's made & shaped to fit into a particular space.

The wrap round tambour door/screen I'm not sure about. It might be plastic covered aluminium panels, or maybe just plastic. It is reasonably robust, but I wouldn't like to fall against it with any real weight.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
any pvc that doesnt use the front seats swiveled is a lot of space wasted
Agreed, which is why I'm also not keen on those that have the washroom or other furniture behind the driver's seat. The seat only swivels part way & still leaves you jambed against the wall.

I've never been one for lounging on a settee - never long enough for me anyway - so two fully swivelling front seats that recline pretty well, plus the half-dinette suits us well.

The high fixed bed (can be singles or huge double) at the rear might be considered a waste of daytime space by many, but OH usually has to use it during the day & we need the height underneath it to transport her electric wheelchair. You can close that end of the van off too, if you want a bit of privacy.

As a layout, it certainly wouldn't suit everyone, but it is the right set of compromises for us.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Like the L shaped lounge, had one myself on a self build, but it was at the front. Allowed the driving seats to stay as original and to be used as storage. To give an impression of space you need the tall things to be at the back, ie services space and wardrobe. I didn't get the space feeling with the Adria.

On your layout, you appear to be storing the shower door around the wc space, ie as one piece. Appreciate you can't split it in half because you'd obstruct the kitchen unit. I think a single door will be too big/heavy and may be very difficult to pull around two corners. I have a Tambour single door on my services space and it's heavy enough to move. You'll notice the examples shown earlier have two single doors.

Not sure I'm understanding the wc layout correctly but I would have thought it preferable the toilet cassette be removable from outside the van.

If the single seat is immediately behind the driver a user would face the sliding door. You can't have a seat belt on a sideways facing seat.

Half the L shaped seating will have a backrest against an opening door. Possibly an annoying feature.

Hope above is useful to you. Good luck with the build.
Ed

OP
OP
Tino11

Tino11

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Exp
virgin newbie!
I've had a bit more play around with my layout. It is based on a Panel Van, either the Citroen, Peugeot or Fiat XLWB, Extra High Roof model. I wanted it to feel as airy and light as possible. There's only one small wardrobe at the rear but lots of overhead storage with it being the extra high roof. The toilet would be flush against side of the van so access can be made from outside. I'm not sure exactly how the shower screen would work but it will :D. The floor would be built up allowing the shower tray to sit in it and a cover over when not in use (similar to the photos from 'TheCaller' further up the thread). There is a full sight of the rear of the van from the drivers seat and the only roof height parts are the wardrobe and bathroom. I wouldn't build right up to the rear doors but would have a cut out for the windows.

A few questions that will help me with further tweeks;

Those of you who have built up to near the rear doors and made a cut-out, how much of a gap is there from the board to the end of the inside of the van and how thick is the ply cut out you used?

Removing the bulk head - does this only free up enough for the seats to swivel (captains chair) or does it gain a few CM as well?

Lastly, those who have built past the opening of the sliding door, how far past have you gone and what to you feel is a decent enough gap with the door open? (I already have a slight overhang but may add to it depending on peoples thoughts).

Thanks all in advance (y):)

Van layout3.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back