Layout, any comments or advice please? (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We, Angela and I, are looking to buy our first MH to do long winter trips to the sun. We have had caravans in which we became fed up making the bed every night so we want a fixed bed model, the bed being on the left looking from the front because of access for me (old fart).
Because there's only the two of us a low line will be good with better aerodynamics than a Luton that we don't need.
Don't want a big garage that makes access to bed difficult, same reason.
Would love A/C, C/C Gas Low,but will settle for A/C. Fridge with separate freezer would also be nice.

Any suggestions from the knowledgeable people on here would be great.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you are fed up of making up beds, then if you have enough money get an island fixed bed. I went for a fixed bed to save climbing up and down into a bed above the cab, but it takes me forever to change the sheets as I am like a beached whale on top of the bed trying to sort the sheets out at the top .... I'm exhausted after. It would be lovely to be able to access the bed from both sides. :(

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Elddiss 165 has a fixed bed on the left. Low profile should tick some boxes.
Swift escape 664 or 662 has fixed bed on the opposite side with basically the same lay outs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We had a fixed bed in our Laika for exactly the same reasons as you Badknee, but between the heat and me getting up and down (like you another old fart!) sleeping in close proximity was a pain! (It would have been equally uncomfortable if it had been shared with the blonde lady from ABBA so it has nowt to do with Mrs BB and her snoring:rolleyes:)
If you must have one then Movan's advice re-the island bed is sound. (y)

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
The van in my avatar - autocruise startail has a fixed bed at normal bed level. Low line coachbuilt.

Depends on your budjet and requirments. bear in mind that most (but not all) fixed beds will be a compromise on width as thet are usually lengthways down the van and so you need to mimimise width

I hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We had a fixed bed in our Laika for exactly the same reasons as you Badknee, but between the heat and me getting up and down (like you another old fart!) sleeping in close proximity was a pain! (It would have been equally uncomfortable if it had been shared with the blonde lady from ABBA so it has nowt to do with Mrs BB and her snoring:rolleyes:)
If you must have one then Movan's advice re-the island bed is sound. (y)

Do you know Bertie we had a chat last night about your post ....................... not the ABBA blonde bit ...................... and remembered that going down to Sicily last year towing our caravan we were in a hurry so dossed down on the forward side bunks and slept fine but while there and coming back we had the rear bed up full time and it was a pain keep climbing over one another to go to the loo and was very hot too so a double might not be the answer ................... more confused than normal now???????? :swear2:

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Do you know Bertie we had a chat last night about your post ....................... not the ABBA blonde bit ...................... and remembered that going down to Sicily last year towing our caravan we were in a hurry so dossed down on the forward side bunks and slept fine but while there and coming back we had the rear bed up full time and it was a pain keep climbing over one another to go to the loo and was very hot too so a double might not be the answer ................... more confused than normal now???????? :swear2:

For us it's end kitchen and bathroom and two long benches facing each other which can be made into two good singles or a humungous double (for North Norway when it's really cold!). There are any number of possibilities but that's the one that suits Mrs BB (the snorer) and me (the up and down to the small room all nighter)! Go to a dealership and start pulling vans apart we do regularly!

Upvote 0

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we had autoquest 155 fixed bed,,,but wifey climbing over for loo in the night was a no go,,,,changed to a autotrail,2 x singles or one big double does the trick....making beds takes us less than 5 minutes for singles,,,and wifey not trying to get over me in the night for a pee.....(y)

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
we had autoquest 155 fixed bed,,,but wifey climbing over for loo in the night was a no go,,,,changed to a autotrail,2 x singles or one big double does the trick....making beds takes us less than 5 minutes for singles,,,and wifey not trying to get over me in the night for a pee.....(y)

Huh! What a charmer you are:RollEyes: I still get a lot of pleasure when my wife crawls over me in the middle of the night........::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Do you live in Carmarthen then? :whistle:It was 3A's who looked worried at our making the beds up and taking our shoes off to test the length!)(y)

Haha, funny you should say that, I was once nearly chucked out of a furniture store for dossing on a couch to see if it was comfy.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
When we bought our first van a 6 berth (Elddis 180) we had a rear U-shaped lounge, but we kept it as a fixed bed because we always sat in the mid-dinette area. After a year, we wanted a full-size fridge/freezer, separate shower, full air-con and rid of the mid-dinette layout and wanted more lounge space.
We have a rear/corner bed, but I, (like Movan) dislike wresting with the sheets in the corners.......by the time I've put the sheet on I'm ready for a lie down::bigsmile: I've found a solution to the problem now, I get hubby to put the sheet on for me:laughing:
Try out as many as you can before taking the plunge, lie on the bed and sit on the loo as well to check our leg room. One person's "ideal" layout may not be ideal for you. Happy hunting!

Margaret

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
When we bought our first van a 6 berth (Elddis 180) we had a rear U-shaped lounge, but we kept it as a fixed bed because we always sat in the mid-dinette area. After a year, we wanted a full-size fridge/freezer, separate shower, full air-con and rid of the mid-dinette layout and wanted more lounge space.
We have a rear/corner bed, but I, (like Movan) dislike wresting with the sheets in the corners.......by the time I've put the sheet on I'm ready for a lie down::bigsmile: I've found a solution to the problem now, I get hubby to put the sheet on for me:laughing:
Try out as many as you can before taking the plunge, lie on the bed and sit on the loo as well to check our leg room. One person's "ideal" layout may not be ideal for you. Happy hunting!

Margaret

I should have mentioned that one M, our current Autocruise Rhythm has an uncomfortably high toilet which Mrs BB finds impossible to use in comfort without one of those small boys wee stands from IKEA(n). I find it difficult for the main activity too and I'm fairly tall. (I was very cautious when phrasing that!:))

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Margaret

Thank you Margaret.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I should have mentioned that one M, our current Autocruise Rhythm has an uncomfortably high toilet which Mrs BB finds impossible to use in comfort without one of those small boys wee stands from IKEA(n). I find it difficult for the main activity too and I'm fairly tall. (I was very cautious when phrasing that!:))

Is it still legal for your wife to put her feet on a small wee boy while she has a pee?

Hang on a minute here, lets get this straight, you got this wee boy from Ikea, which isle do they stock them in?

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just a thought about the snoring......and I know it's usually the men who are guilty of that one:D
If you are both in the same bed then it's easy to give the offending snorer a sharp dig in the ribs and it's sorted ....... but if you've got two singles, then it becomes more of a problem to reach across and give them a poke;) Believe me, there is nothing more annoying than lying listening to someone snoring and not being able to reach them and give them a prod......

Margaret

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Is it still legal for your wife to put her feet on a small wee boy while she has a pee?

Hang on a minute here, lets get this straight, you got this wee boy from Ikea, which isle do they stock them in?

Next to the pot plants in Aisle 13!:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Angela would soon find something to stop me snoring, like a Tazer.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Just a thought about the snoring......and I know it's usually the men who are guilty of that one:D
If you are both in the same bed then it's easy to give the offending snorer a sharp dig in the ribs and it's sorted ....... but if you've got two singles, then it becomes more of a problem to reach across and give them a poke;) Believe me, there is nothing more annoying than lying listening to someone snoring and not being able to reach them and give them a prod......

Margaret

That's all true but I gas Mrs BB especially after a take away.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back