Laws when Trailering A Motorcycle (1 Viewer)

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I see plenty of posts about A frames & Motorcycle/scooter racks. but does anyone have a link to any special laws / rules for towing a motorcycle on an unbraked trailer behind the motorhome. I tow the bike in the UK, but are there problems with the French and the Spanish ? :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i believe there are different rules for french residents...ie, any trailer must also be registered and have its own reg number but this doesnt apply to 'foreign' visitors.
imagine what the tugger fraternity would have to say about that.

same rules as here i believe.....under 750kg with NO BRAKES FITTED is ok.
the trailer should have a safety cable/chain fitted incase it comes 'unhooked'.

even under 750kg if brakes are fitted...ie..built on an old car axle with the drums still fitted etc, (you dont see many of those anymore) then the brakes must work by law.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
I think that as long as the total trailer weight is less than 750kgs then there's no problem.

We just brought my Harley up from Spain to the UK on a trailer behind our mh - no probs :thumb:

I'm sure you'll get more advice in due course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the trailer must also have a GB sticker attached.....or a GB badged number plate.

eveidently the number plate must be the same shape and size as the towing vehicles

Speed limits:
Towing � in built-up areas 31mph (50kph): outside built-up areas, single carriageway 49 mph (80kph), dual carriageway 62mph (100kph), motorway 68mph (110kph).

trailer must have a minimum of 3rd party insurance.....usually covered by your motor insurance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thank pappajohn a timely reminder that - I will need a new number plate to go with the new van ::bigsmile:

lost-a-spanner

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Port Ste Foy et Ponchapt
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Aye-up....In France , as long as the trailer total loaded and trailer weight is less than 750k you can drive at the legal limits. i.e. 130kph on autoroutes 90 kph on single carriageways and dual carriageways to the limits posted. As long as the trailer has the same reg. no. as the towing vehicle, or if borrowed ,the plate of the owner can be displayed. it must be traceable for fines etc. If not this can be a prisonable offence...
In other words "use your noddle and be sensible". French rules are simple its just that the Briitsh have silly ideas that they are the ones always right !!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
You'll probably need a GB no plate on the bike to remain legal while abroad
(though i'm not certain about-that) :Blush:
To be honest i forgot but didn't have any hassles. :thumb:
In fact i only remembered when i took it off the trailer in Spain that my number plate and exhausts arn't even legal in england :Doh: this was after frantic last min rushing about to get a GB plate for the trailer :Doh:

Regards...nige

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Aye-up....In France , as long as the trailer total loaded and trailer weight is less than 750k you can drive at the legal limits. i.e. 130kph on autoroutes 90 kph on single carriageways and dual carriageways to the limits posted. As long as the trailer has the same reg. no. as the towing vehicle, or if borrowed ,the plate of the owner can be displayed. it must be traceable for fines etc. If not this can be a prisonable offence...
In other words "use your noddle and be sensible". French rules are simple its just that the Briitsh have silly ideas that they are the ones always right !!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

while i appreciate you live in france, that isnt the info i found on the internet....

Link Removed

it states...
If you tow a trailerwith combination gross weight over 3.5 tons :
Highway : 110 km/h
Dual cariageway : 100 km/h
Open road : 80 km/h
Town : 50 km/h

or this.

Article R413-8-1
Version en vigueur au 16 juin 2009, depuis le 8 février 2008

Toutefois, la vitesse des véhicules visés à l'article R. 413-8 qui sont destinés au transport de personnes et dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3, 5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes est limitée à :

1° 110 km / h sur les autoroutes ;

2° 100 km / h sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central lorsqu'elles sont à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles ;

3° 80 km / h sur les autres routes.

most motorhome/trailer combinations will be over 3500kg gross weight.

Last edited:

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
You'll probably need a GB no plate on the bike to remain legal while abroad
(though i'm not certain about-that) :Blush:
:Doh:Regards...nige

We 'tour' Europe on bikes twice yearly and we've found that you need a GB (or Ecosse) plate on the bike.
We've been reminded of the fact at passport control in the UK, by coppers in France & Spain and even fined by Austrian ones.
It's worth a mention that Spain is the most bike-friendly country I've had the pleasure to visit.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
while i appreciate you live in france, that isnt the info i found on the internet....

Link Removed

it states...
If you tow a trailerwith combination gross weight over 3.5 tons :
Highway : 110 km/h
Dual cariageway : 100 km/h
Open road : 80 km/h
Town : 50 km/h

or this.

Article R413-8-1
Version en vigueur au 16 juin 2009, depuis le 8 février 2008

Toutefois, la vitesse des véhicules visés à l'article R. 413-8 qui sont destinés au transport de personnes et dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3, 5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes est limitée à :

1° 110 km / h sur les autoroutes ;

2° 100 km / h sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central lorsqu'elles sont à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles ;

3° 80 km / h sur les autres routes.

most motorhome/trailer combinations will be over 3500kg gross weight.

I agree with John,( I find John a very wise Man) as this is what I have been told over here as I also live in France.
Also what John said in a previous reply is also correct... French residents only...i.e., a trailer over 750kg must also be registered and have its own reg number and its own log book (Carte Gris) as my trailer has because it is 2000kg......trailers up to 500kg can be towed un-braked covered by the car insurance and have the same number as the towing vehicle,..... and from 500kg to 750kg has to be braked(I think).... have its own trailer insurance and the same number as the towing vehicle,.........trailers from 750kg upwards must have its own trailer insurance, braked,and have its own log book (Carte Gris) its own registration number different from the towing vehicle. :thumb::thumb:

Mel

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
So my 750kg, unbraked trailer will be OK for France & Spain in its normal UK trim with a GB plate or sticker ? :Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
So my 750kg, unbraked trailer will be OK for France & Spain in its normal UK trim with a GB plate or sticker ? :Smile:

I would think what is UK law you should be ok ( I say you should) as I have heard a lot of strange tales about towing in Italy....and I am not up to date with Uk laws now.....google... remorque(trailer):thumb:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
bike trailers

hi bikers, now that is a dangerous combination ,, they come on here and chat all day about nothing, then get on a bike on the wrong side of the road,,,,,
mind you, i do both and i am sane,,,, just bacause i was actualy chritsned froghopper, dont make me silly,,,,,, DONT FORGET you need a gb sticker on bike,
and it helps the frogs if you have a right hand drive one on the back as well,,,,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
just a thiught

we hear al this chat about if its rhe law in your own country ,, its legal,,, things like bycicles on cars, the overhang, all sorts of things,, as an ex traffic cop,, thats lost me my last to mates now,,, the french and spanish used to throw that at us every time we pulled them,,, o k it was a lot ,,, but thety deserve it,, so on that note, if its legal in your country do it,,,,,, SOD ALL THAT OTHER SIDE OF ROAD STUFF do wots legal in my own country,,,,,, WHO WANTS TO GO FIRST :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek:

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well, froghopper, I used to live in Winchester, but I am afraid I understood virtually nothing in your two posts!:Sad:

I am a biker, too, and have no problems here in France - a very motorbike-friendly country.:Smile:

The golden rule of bringing vehicles into any other EU country is that the vehicle and any trailer must conform to the laws of its home country. So the owner should wise up on the laws in the UK before coming over. He must also comply with the laws that apply to driving in the host country, such as, in France, the carrying (inside the cabin) of a high visibility tabard and (in the boot) a red warning triangle, and speed limits.

It certainly would help if this EU were to agree on common standards for motor vehicles. For example, perhaps the UK could adopt the same type of headlights that motorbikes now have: they do not dip to the left, but straight down. This means that they are valid for RHD or LHD. The dipping to the left is a remnant from the days when cars moved at a snail's pace and needed to illuminate the kerb in fog so that they could see where they were going!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We were entering the St. Bernard pass from Italy . In amongst the plethora of road signs at the entrance to the tunnel, I missed the one for the speed limit. I thought that 50mph might be about right but ½ mile in I got the dreaded flash quickly followed by a sign showing 50 was indeed the limit. Unfortunately it was 50kph. Thirteen miles later as we neared the exit there appeared one French policeman AND one Italian policeman who kindly showed me the parking area next to their offices. I knew we were in for a lengthy stop when they offered Merilyn a coffee. I was asked for the documents, which I duly produced. First question was, "where is the registration document for the trailer?". I tried to explain that we don't "do" separate registrations in the UK. Such is my command of French/Italian that an interpreter was summoned! They accepted my explanation and proceeded to ask why I had'nt got an HGV license? Once again I explained that it was'nt necessary in the UK for the class of vehicle that our motorhome was in. Again they accepted my explanation with good grace. They then offered me some nice photos of the front and rear of our outfit in the tunnel. I thought £32 was a bit steep but decided it would be prudent to accept their offer and went on my way.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Another thing to check is whether your insurance covers the bike when being trailored?
I'm with Footman James through the VMCC scheme and whichever level of cover you have when riding, that's what you've got when trailoring.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
It would pay to keep a recipt (or official looking) recording the serial number of the trailer with all your other documents.

We had a touch of "is it really yours sir ? " ( The boys in blue had noticed that the trailer number plate "could easily" be changed, sir !)

Only doing their job, They were right (bless em) because we use the trailer on a number of vehicles.

(Next time I leave the butterfly nuts out of sight :Doh: )

Rgds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back