Laundry .... Comment vous faire le vôtre ne? (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Quite a straightforward question really.
Just the 2 of us touring France and using the aires, what is the best/handiest way of having laundry done ?
Is it better to just use a site for 1 or 2 nights and use the facilities there or is it as straightforward as dropping it off and collecting it again, similar to a laundrette as at home?
Small washes no problem by hand but just wondering about a bigger wash?
Thanks in advance.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
When we toured a couple of years ago we went to a campsite once a week to use the laundry facilities however we did find a number of supermarkets super-U in fact had public laundry facilities in the car park and some also had waste/fresh water facilities also.

You can download or pick-up a map of all the Le Clerc & Super-U supermarkets and shows whats available where in france.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have not used them, but I too have seen several supermarkets with washing machines and driers in the car park. Some have aires de service too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We used a mix.. but to be honest, some site facilities are let's say 'less than desirable'.. I've seen all sorts of filthy things put into site washers, so only ever used them for big stuff and only after careful inspection.. easier just to wash smalls, shirts etc by hand ..

Another tip.. if you have a shower cubicle , use a pail or waste bin and fill with dirty washing , hot water and detergent then drive with it (securely fastened) .. on arrival at next pitch rinse and hang out.

With two kids and being fulltime, it did get a bit much and I finally fitted a top loading automatic washing machine.. I appreciate that's only possible in a large van.. but you could also consider a small twin tub .. not used one myself but they get good reviews..

Some French Supermarkets with aires also have washing facilities.. for example this is a 'drive through' facility at Plougonvelin, Brittany we used..
plougonvelin1.jpg

Plougonvelin Intermarche,
1 of 1
GPS48.342596,-4.722841
Free overnight parking, coin operated laundry facility and pay bourne.
Supermarket, fuel and lpg.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=48.34...id=hIOzOzAk9mlO5Fzb_5xigw&cbp=12,16.37,,0,7.6

M

Madwife

Deleted User
It's also worth looking around for a laundry or laundrette - found some great ones in France self service and all washing done and dried in just over 90 mins. Here in Portugal there is a laundry in the nearby town that does service washes and charges by the kilo. Washing returned next day, dry, perfectly folded and all socks neatly paired up! It's well worth the charge of €1.65 per kg and if you want stuff ironed for a small extra charge they will do that too.

Kath

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I use the laverie all the time when touring. They are very common across France. I even found one in the middle of Honfleur, although it wasn't that easy to spot. Use google to locate them.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Great self service laundromats (Laverie) throughout France...... never had a problem finding one and a great excuse to sit nearby having a glass of something red while waiting.

Bryan

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Great info, thanks folks.
Just good to have our heads around it before we arrive there.
Now added to my "research" list !

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
One thing to mention, you can buy washing powder (but I've never seen fabric conditioner for sale) at the laundrette but if you have a preference for a particular product take it with you.

Apr 8, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years
I use the laverie all the time when touring. They are very common across France. I even found one in the middle of Honfleur, although it wasn't that easy to spot. Use google to locate them.

How do you locate them using Google?

Alan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We never found anywhere big enough to park safely near a laundrette so always use supermarket laveries. Many Super U's have them as well as service points, also we found more and more Leclerc's seem to have them too.
I don't see the point of checking into a site just to do laundry, I can have the same jeans on, for 4 days.........

Allan

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Any recommendations of how to find such services in Spain?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back