sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The first 2019 Palace Liner was on show at the CMT Stuttgart Messe. As far as I can see there are no aesthetic differences to the Palace launched last summer, other than bulk, however the Liner is the Truck chassis offering of the Palace which is on the 7.49 chassis mainly Daily. The standard width is 2.5 on the Liner and of course the height is increased too.
IMG_20190115_101915.jpg

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
And you don't even get alloys.:whistle:
Interesting point you can get them and they are on the one in the pic, but they are circa E5k! I have had enough of alloys, on both my Yankee and the Flair, they are too maintenance intensive if you want to retain their good looks, plus a bummer for a spare wheel change. So I have opted for the steel wheels with stainless trims.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Wouldn't fancy taking that down Cornish lanes.
Lovely vehicle though.
After Sally and I got our C (around Cornwall) 6 years ago we did 500 miles around Cornwall in our then motor home a 12 metre 20 ton 8 wheel Yankee, on the principle that if we could drive it round Cornwall we could drive it anywhere, so get your C and go test your limits, its exhilarating.;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Gotta love the Dennis Healy style rear view mirrors, or maybe not,might be functional, but for that dosh layout I would want more discreet cameras.
Les

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Gotta love the Dennis Healy style rear view mirrors, or maybe not,might be functional, but for that dosh layout I would want more discreet cameras.
Les
Nice idea but they have not been tested or whatever is required to include them on a certificate of conformity yet.

Well not at Morelo yet but Le Voyageur we’re showing them at the NEC so not far away is my guess.

Martin

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So being a similar size to a yank and twice the cost are they twice as good, as you have owned both you would be the person to give an honest comparison. @sallylillian
My Morelo starts build in March with delivery April/May, as although I ordered it in March I wanted the 2019 version so had to wait a few more months so my experience is not yet complete to answer your question with qualifying validity. That said firstly my Yankee was a Country Coach Allure with 4 slides and was nearly $600k new, but fortunately I bought it second hand and nowhere near that number, and secondly my Morelo will only be 9.1 metres and six wheels and 11.99 tons and a lot less new.
American quality and style is different to European. The style and design difference is obvious for those researching both types. However quality of production differs wildly each way. For example my Country Coach had an amazing wiring plan with every wire numbered at each end and a spreadsheet of each numbered wire, its function and where the ends are. Morelo say "our wiring plans are secret!" The leather in my Morelo will be high quality stitched edging etc, the "leather" in my Yankee was pseudo, glued mostly, sure looked like leather and quite glitzy but no life to it and it was needing replacement after 5 years.
General Yankees have more space metre for metre of length, in principle present a better value for money, have more features £ for £, but still feel "cheap" at most price points in comparison to Euro. Yanks have had slides forever and Europeans are just getting into them and you are seeing their inclusion reducing in price from E40k to sub E30k now, with more to go I suspect. With that will come an increase of use, but remember if you have a circa 9-10 metre van you will need a truck chassis to realistically include a slide let alone 2. Morelo have tried on the Daily chassis but the payloads become pointless, in my opinion.
Got to go have a meeting to finalise some last things with Morelo at the show.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
My Morelo starts build in March with delivery April/May, as although I ordered it in March I wanted the 2019 version so had to wait a few more months so my experience is not yet complete to answer your question with qualifying validity. That said firstly my Yankee was a Country Coach Allure with 4 slides and was nearly $600k new, but fortunately I bought it second hand and nowhere near that number, and secondly my Morelo will only be 9.1 metres and six wheels and 11.99 tons and a lot less new.
American quality and style is different to European. The style and design difference is obvious for those researching both types. However quality of production differs wildly each way. For example my Country Coach had an amazing wiring plan with every wire numbered at each end and a spreadsheet of each numbered wire, its function and where the ends are. Morelo say "our wiring plans are secret!" The leather in my Morelo will be high quality stitched edging etc, the "leather" in my Yankee was pseudo, glued mostly, sure looked like leather and quite glitzy but no life to it and it was needing replacement after 5 years.
General Yankees have more space metre for metre of length, in principle present a better value for money, have more features £ for £, but still feel "cheap" at most price points in comparison to Euro. Yanks have had slides forever and Europeans are just getting into them and you are seeing their inclusion reducing in price from E40k to sub E30k now, with more to go I suspect. With that will come an increase of use, but remember if you have a circa 9-10 metre van you will need a truck chassis to realistically include a slide let alone 2. Morelo have tried on the Daily chassis but the payloads become pointless, in my opinion.

Thanks for that I do hope your new van lives up to your expectations as you are already used to a heavy van this will be a relatively light weight.

What you say about yanks is very close to the idea I had in my own mind and yes the interior looks straight out of a 1970s yanky film, I must admit I had no idea they were so much $

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks Michael, as always, a very balanced and informative post.

You also have to factor into the discussion the fuel economy/cost issues with the American "pusher" diesels as it's also about lifetime cost of ownership & environmental considerations too

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks Michael, as always, a very balanced and informative post.

You also have to factor into the discussion the fuel economy/cost issues with the American "pusher" diesels as it's also about lifetime cost of ownership & environmental considerations too
I would hazard a guess that the RV Diesels are cleaner than European diesels. This was certainly the case when I had front engined American diesel engined RV's

My new petrol/LPG RV is Crit Air Class One so much better than anything on the European market size for size.

And to be fair I doubt anyone is looking for "lifetime" ownership.

I welcome the introduction of slides, all be it at the moment they are too small, as I think a lot of people, myself included put up with inferior build quality to get the space we want.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Brilliant morning, my email to Herr Löhner resulted in him organising a meeting with us him and the dealer. So everything sorted as I want! They will paint my fridge vent to match the vehicle paint, as they have done on this one in the picture!
IMG_20190116_110043.jpg

So clearly I am not the only one, apparently they are in discussions with Dometic about matching it in plastic! Also we will have the new Dometic RMDT 10.5XT. Go check it out it seems a serious improvement! open the doors either way anytime!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
When my lotto numbers come up on Saturday I'll be right behind you at the show waiting for Herr Löhner (y)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
One thing I am looking at right now is highly discrete step lighting.

There is no light at the top of the door on the outside of the Morelo to illuminate the extended steps when leaving the MH and I find this a safety issue on very dark nights. Does this model have anything similar?

I am looking to find the circuit that powers the internal handrail lighting and to then extend that to the step recess then fitting small weatherproof LED fittings mounted on the underside the step treads most likely.

Michael; Maybe you could sneak into the Morelo factory overnight and find out where they keep the secret wiring diagrams to the Palace that the enemy simply must not get their hands on! And then send me a copy, please. Otherwise, I'll just have to keep looking.....

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
One thing I am looking at right now is highly discrete step lighting.

There is no light at the top of the door on the outside of the Morelo to illuminate the extended steps when leaving the MH and I find this a safety issue on very dark nights. Does this model have anything similar?

I am looking to find the circuit that powers the internal handrail lighting and to then extend that to the step recess then fitting small weatherproof LED fittings mounted on the underside the step treads most likely.

Michael; Maybe you could sneak into the Morelo factory overnight and find out where they keep the secret wiring diagrams to the Palace that the enemy simply must not get their hands on! And then send me a copy, please. Otherwise, I'll just have to keep looking.....
OK "M" will do!
Attached a pdf of said spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Wire%20List%2C%202008.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 24
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Michael! I know this is from your old Yanky RV!

You can't blag a blagger!

Now get back out there in search of the Secrets of the Palace!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back