Latest Scam Callers – ISPs (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Having had weeks of callers pretending to be from Microsoft regarding “helping” me to fix a “problem” with my computers, all appears to have gone quiet

Until yesterday. Had a very credible call (ostensibly a Birmingham number) from a claimed “BT Technical Team member” saying there was a problem with my BT Home Hub router which had been identified (these routers do report faults) and needed my interaction to fix. It was all very credible for a few milliseconds, save that the caller couldn’t give me my name or BT email address, was using a VOIP phone and had a heavy Indian accent. When I told him my occupation and forcibly gave him a piece of my fevered mind he hung up.

But it was a good attempt, far more credible than the usual fake Microsoft drivel, and could have seen a naïve user expose his router to all sorts of chicanery.

Just a heads up .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I never get that sort of call.

It would be quite good fun to see how long I could keep them on as I don't have any products or services from either Micro$oft or BT.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are with talk talk and have had bogus calls saying there is something wrong with our router and we have been hacked and they will cut us off and send an engineer out in 5 days!
It all sounds plausible and to some vulnerable people may fall for it .
I play along a bit but said if there is a fault with hackers I must phone the police immediately!!
Conversation suddenly ends there end.

They are becoming more and more devious with the scams.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Having had weeks of callers pretending to be from Microsoft regarding “helping” me to fix a “problem” with my computers, all appears to have gone quiet

Until yesterday. Had a very credible call (ostensibly a Birmingham number) from a claimed “BT Technical Team member” saying there was a problem with my BT Home Hub router which had been identified (these routers do report faults) and needed my interaction to fix. It was all very credible for a few milliseconds, save that the caller couldn’t give me my name or BT email address, was using a VOIP phone and had a heavy Indian accent. When I told him my occupation and forcibly gave him a piece of my fevered mind he hung up.

But it was a good attempt, far more credible than the usual fake Microsoft drivel, and could have seen a naïve user expose his router to all sorts of chicanery.

Just a heads up .

last week i had four of them in one day! I gave the first one many choice anglo saxon words telling him what he could do with him self, then put the phone down,
I assumed the other 3 calls was just their way of trying to get back at me:LOL:
I know you can get phones that monitor incoming scam calls and stop them ringing your number but i cannot be arsed to pay for new phones when my existing equipment is working fine,
but when i need to upgrade that's the way i will go,

OP
OP
pyro
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I suspect they have a good laugh when told to eff off, and do phone back for the fun of it

I have one of those fancy BT blocking phones (Call Guardian). Trouble is, these people are faking real phone numbers, so it is becoming impossible to block them by the number they hijack. The only other way is to screen calls, and with a lot of my business being international, that upsets clients

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Play around with them. Pretend to go along with what they are asking but make out you're a complete computer luddite. String that out for as long as you can and then "oh...a computer. I didn't realise what you were asking me to do. I'm so sorry, I don't own a computer."

:D2

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Play around with them. Pretend to go along with what they are asking but make out you're a complete computer luddite. String that out for as long as you can and then "oh...a computer. I didn't realise what you were asking me to do. I'm so sorry, I don't own a computer."

I did a similar thing when somebody rang from (or supposedly from) Orange phones a few years ago. Kept telling him I had a black phone not an orange phone then told him to "go away" when I got bored :D2

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie

I don't need to pretend!!

OP
OP
pyro
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Personally I can't be bothered wasting my time with them, in my mind they will be moving on to the next "prospect", who may be a lot more naïve

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Personally I can't be bothered wasting my time with them, in my mind they will be moving on to the next "prospect", who may be a lot more naïve

I do it with any type of cold callers if I'm bored. We had a very minor very low speed car bump a few years ago and one of the insurance companies passed our details on to the ambulance chasers. They're great fun to mess with.

My personal best is winding one of those up enough to make him swear at me.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
pyro
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I do it with any type of cold callers if I'm bored. We had a very minor very low speed car bump a few years ago and one of the insurance companies passed our details on to the ambulance chasers. They're great fun to mess with.

My personal best is winding one of those up enough to make him swear at me.
Result :)

My late dad did a great wind up with someone from an Indian call centre once. Basically he told the guy that it was unlawful to make unsolicited calls to people whose numbers were withheld and had subscribed to the TPS. The caller replied "not illegal where I am in India, white master know it all", to which my father replied "then bugger off then and sell you rubbish to your own people <insert racist name here>". The caller got rather huffy and told my late dad that it "was against the law to use racist names like that". My Dad didn't miss a beat and simply said, "only against the law in this country, but you're not in this country - yet, are you" before slamming the phone down

I know, unacceptable and offensive, but still jaw droppingly funny at the rime

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We've just bought one of the BT call blocking phones.
Connected it at New Year and haven't had a single nuisance call since.
I'm starting to miss having a rant at the PPI/Microsoft/insurance pests. :)

Richard.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Me too , just connected a BT8600 today and it has already fielded 3 calls from 0844 numbers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back