Latest on Wild Camping - Portugal (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry JJ, i dont know if you are male or female. It dosent matter does it?
Have i been rude to you?
Your last message said Mr Mrs Ms?
All i was saying, what relevance has my gender got to do with it.
Is JJ Judith Jones?(y)

Really weird!

It does to me!

Maybe after you have been on Fun slightly longer than you have, you might pick up more knowledge about the forum and its members.

Unless, of course, you are as I suspect, purely interested in wind ups...

JJ :cool:

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Really weird!

It does to me!

Maybe after you have been on Fun slightly longer than you have, you might pick up more knowledge about the forum and its members.

Well JJ, It doesn't to me. I couldn't care less what gender you are. It had no relevance to what we were talking about.
But I do have an opinion, it just isn't the same as yours. Doesn't make us wrong. Just different!
It's what makes the world go round. But as you seem to be Sherlock Holmes, you would know all that anyway.(y)
Enjoy yourself in Portugal;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's all a bit 'got silly' now. Good grief - you take a pack of Cubs to an official Scout camp for the weekend or week, and in the old days after choosing or being allocated and area for your lot's use, you set to and pitched the Patrol tents - as some of the accompanying adults supervised which Patrol got which tent, the chaps and Venture Scouts set to, to pitch and equip the dining shelter and in our case being Sea Scout Cubs - the Galley. A couple of these folk would also get the unenviable jobs of digging the grease pit and even in the 1970's at some sites where the only laid on facility was a tap with potable water - the latrines. We did however use portapottis and toilet tents, equipped with Andrex LOL

It was a bit of a gobsmacking experience for the kids - you'd get all sorts of questions - and Akela, Bo'sun and any other female adults would refer them to the blokes - who we insisted were the experts - so they best learn all about it properly, for when they needed to do it a bit later on! LOL

God knows what they told their doting mothers on Sunday night ......

So no - digging pits for human bodily waste - is not intrinsically either unsafe, un-environmental or un anything else - providing you know how and where to do it SAFELY.

Pete's just added - that he used to have to do it on CARAVAN CLUB rallies sometimes - just another unsung part of a Rally Marshall's NORMAL tasks!

I've often said to him on sites - a grease pit would be really really useful here - but there never is one, anywhere !

Oh - and at one time along with the compulsory wellies (Spilchucker changed that, the first E to an I - and I've had to alter it back again!!! What sort of a camper does it think I am? Oh yes, forgot, I'm a naturist ... LOL) you'd not leave home to go camping without a spade, or the flash German camper with his upmarket trailer tent and all mod cons, would have a shiny unused folding shovel LOL)

If you don't know how to do it, or aren't prepared to - then don't wild camp, or only do so for a couple of nights and then go somewhere with proper facilities for disposal and be prepared to pay to use them.

There are idiots wildcamping just as there are using expensive sites everywhere, some are lovely and some people are horrible and it wouldn't matter where they were, they'd still be horrible and you wouldn't want to mix with them!

Deleted User
Really weird!

It does to me!

He(She?) is not winding me up:)...........I have an open mind:rofl:..........so open it's now almost empty:)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I can't wait to become a freeloader in Portugal. :D2
Will get some experience in England, France and Spain first.

Look out for funsters bear waving. He's gonna be very busy since I'm the passenger :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are idiots wildcamping just as there are using expensive sites everywhere, some are lovely and some people are horrible and it wouldn't matter where they were, they'd still be horrible and you wouldn't want to mix with them!

There are some who cannot see the difference between law breaking, mess making, itinerants and law abiding, nature loving, wild campers. You can generally spot these people, scratching their elbow when their arse itches ;)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
10 kms away, a lakeside, off-site spot where you don't pay...

20170129_092218-jpg.149281

You choose...
Oh my favouritest freeloading spot in Portugal (so far). It holds many fond memories for us, cycling, walking, swimming and peace and quiet.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not really wanting to get into a debate on this ,but can't help myself :D..
I've read jims article on wild camping..and it's great.. I hope it encourages folk to go and try it..., but imo the term wild camping in most motor homers minds relates to parking up somewhere and stopping the night for free.... no facilities... be that a beautiful location ,lay by ,or trading estate.. ie the term has become synonymous with not having to pay and that seems to get some people annoyed...
But as said done in a responsible respectful manner it's still possible ..
I have to admit is what I prefer when I'm travelling... so much more flexible , but happy to stop at a proper facility if it's convenient. .
Andy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Oh my favouritest freeloading spot in Portugal (so far). It holds many fond memories for us, cycling, walking, swimming and peace and quiet.
Looks lovely...
Any more on those pups Sandra. .
I'd forgotten about them till I saw your post there..
Andy.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Looks lovely...
Any more on those pups Sandra. .
I'd forgotten about them till I saw your post there..
Andy.
No more info Andy. Both the camperstop owner and one of the guests have contacted the rescue lady asking for photos but non have been forthcoming. We know they have been to the vets for their first vaccinations, as the vet told the CS owners that they were big, bouncy and healthy.

Deleted User
There are some who cannot see the difference between law breaking, mess making, itinerants and law abiding, nature loving, wild campers. You can generally spot these people, scratching their elbow when their arse itches ;)

Looking at some, and I admit they may be a minority, of the so called wild campers in parts of Spain and Portugal it can lead to a certain amount of confusion amongst the populace(including me).

For your information I am able to distinguish my arse from my elbow, at least the last time I looked:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looking at some, and I admit they may be a minority, of the so called wild campers in parts of Spain and Portugal it can lead to a certain amount of confusion amongst the populace(including me).

For your information I am able to distinguish my arse from my elbow, at least the last time I looked:)

So called... :)

Deleted User
So called... :)

Exactly but the point is that there are enough of this type to make it difficult for the authorities, or anyone else, to tell the difference, so the response is more likely to be 'ban them all'

My experience is mostly in Spain and Portugal but the 'ban them all' attitude has apparently been prevalent in the UK for a number of years.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A

As you are struggling, I'll help you out:D2
upload_2017-2-24_9-39-8.jpeg

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Jim you do have to admit I am sure parking en mass for months in an area with no facilities is not wild camping in the true sense and if you have been moved on then coming back is just rude .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My current freeloading, off-site location became busy last night.

There are now 13 vans here when there were 7.

Too busy for me.

Croissants and coffee and I am on the road again...

Open road in front, sun through the windscreen and sweet music from the Bose speakers (and sub woofer).

"No matter where I roam, where I lay my head is home."

Motorhoming... don't you just LOVE it...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well cmon then . Don't keep the co ordinates to yourself. I can add them to my list of barragems.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don't let your views of off-site motorhoming be tainted by holiday visitors to the Algarve. ;)

(Far more masses crammed together on official sites than off-site.)

An Algarve site where you pay...

View attachment 149280

10 kms away, a lakeside, off-site spot where you don't pay...

View attachment 149281

You choose...

2 for me & 1 would be only if I couldn't find a lorry park.:giggle:

Jim, i live in an area, where people park up on a friday and decimate a field, playground etc. and then move on the monday or after the local authority spend money getting court orders to move them on. Are they wild campers?

You have to treat those sort with a 50gall drum of petrol & a
flare gun. (y)That's were the councils get it wrong.

I did last time. They asked me, if I liked 'dags':)
Amoniaco floor cleaner.What I found last year that enabled them to understand.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Up date all moved of Tavira yesterday by police and told not to come back. Reg taken.
Second hand info from a chap on his bike that came to talk with me at Tavira also at my new place.
Laurie. .

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hot News...

The two inconsiderate sods who parked their vans (near) my preferred, off-site pitch at Pego do Altar HAVE LEFT.

Total peace and quiet, lake side beauty...

The (small) area preferred by the "Herder Motorhomers" is pretty busy... maybe 10 units.

I saw quite a few vans heading south yesterday as I drove north, away from the All Day English Breakfasts etc...

Life on the road in the World Of The Freeloading, Off-Site, Spoiling It For The Rest Of Us, Motorhomers is FANTASTIC.

Just saying

Last edited:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The (small) area preferred by the "Herder Motorhomers" is pretty busy... maybe 10 units.

Some of us park there not because we like being part of the herd, but because we're too lazy to walk from the other side to the bar I'll have you know ;)

Just saying ......

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear. Just a quick thought. If no one wild camped. There would be no room on the campsites. So we do both. Or go to meets. We hope to see some of you somewhere. We will be In Portugal in Oct to see where we can park again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back