Latest news on eBike Regulations December 11th (1 Viewer)

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
I must begin this post by reminding you that I sell eBikes for a living.

What I post below has arrived with me today, it was sent to me by one of the largest eBike companies in the UK, we sell one of their brands, I cannot include their name because I would be breaking forum rules and I know that this may well lead to some speculation/accusations by at least one other member out there but, like it or not, it is based on the very latest facts from somebody who was there, not on supposition, speculation or hype and not based on opinions from other forums, it will hopefully explode some of the myths and address some of the questions being posed by the new legislation.

EN15194 refers to legislation for eBikes used throughout Europe.

********* has been working hard all year to understand and clarify the latest regulations for electric bikes. The actual meaning of some of the wording has, to say the least, been rather woolly.

Two senior representatives of ************attended an Electric Bike Group (EBG) meeting of the BA last week in Coventry. The results and clarification from that meeting have now been released to members.

The main points are:-

Electric bikes with the “twist and go throttle” that have cleared customs Broken Link RemovedJanuary 2016 can still be sold. (Bikes in your showrooms and our warehouses).

Broken Link Removed new electric bikes with “twist and go” throttles or buttons can only go up to 6kph (4mph) without pedalling. The rider can be on the bike whilst using this device. The actuating throttle or button must have a return spring so that the default position is off.

For throttle use between 6kph (4mph) and 25kph (15.5mph) the rider must be pedalling.

There will be a way to type approve an EN15194 bicycle with the addition of a throttle, this will still be classed as a bicycle (no licence, used on cycle paths etc). However the process for this is still not confirmed and there will be additional requirements, possibly automatic headlights on. There has been confusion over the likely cost per bike or trike, originally it was thought that this would be in the region of £200+ however, now it is thought that it might be £55. Confirmation of this is still required.

The law is not retrospective and bikes that have already been sold, conforming to the current regulations, will not be affected.

You can be assured that at ********* we always strive to supply product that meets current regulations and to provide the latest up-to-date information for our retail partners.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I've got an ebike with a throttle but will keep it turned off bought in 2013.

OP
OP
E

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Latest information for twist and go throttles and easy start from DfT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Information Sheet Type Approval for Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles - Nov 15 copy.pdf
    245.2 KB · Views: 22

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back