Latest info on the Pet Passport. (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Casper had four of us holding him still whilst the vet put a tourniquet on his leg. I think his pride was hurt more than his leg. At 35 kilos and a lot of fur it was exhausting (for us).

thats kind of stressful all round and a bit risky if the dog moves suddenly when the needle is in.....

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
However expensive having the rabies vaccination and blood test is, would we rather go back to pre-passport days and not be able to take our dogs with us? If it is only for two weeks probably OK but to leave them behind for two months or more? Could not do that. We have never been present when any of our dogs had the blood test and none of them appear/ed to have been mentally affected by it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As I recall the vet (and nurse) took our Westie into the back operating room, but only to put a muzzle on him "just in case". Apparently he didn't make any fuss. Still drags us into the vets when we take him - and jumps straight onto the scales too.

He's not talking to me at the moment - took him to the groomers this morning for his 6-monthly bath and trim.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well, it looks like its going to be Brexit on January 31st, so should I be relieved? Stop worrying that we will get to Portsmouth and Charlie wont be able to travel???

Can anyone tell me when DEFRA said we dont need a blood test in order to travel to the EU?

Charlie is - An adult dog who has had rabies jabs for 10 years BUT has a gap between his last one and his latest, which was at beginning of December.

Does he need the blood test which is scheduled for the 2nd January? Should he have it anyway?? After some of the comments I would rather not put him through the blood test if its not necessary.

IF he needs the blood test, will we be able to travel on the 4th March?? This is only 2 months instead of the 3 months Required. Our Vet didn’t know if he would need blood test or not!

Charlie has a replacement French passport ( his UK was full) does this make any difference???

This is still so complicated and the APHA email really did not answer the very basic question I asked - can I take him to Spain!!

Ginny

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I dont think anyone can answer those questions until some agreements are sanctioned or not between UK & EU.

However, as far as i understand things.....

If Boris passes the current deal then there will be a transition period .

during that transition period nothing changes from now to the end of the transition.

personally, i would continue to get Charlie tested and then he is covered whatever the future outcome.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Teasy2007 , If it were me, I'd get on the phone to DEFRA and ask them. You've too many questions there to be able to rely on correct information from a motorhome forum.
If you get it wrong you could have major problems.
DEFRA may not be able to give a definitive answer at the moment, but they'll be able to point you in the right direction .

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I dont think anyone can answer those questions until some agreements are sanctioned or not between UK & EU.

However, as far as i understand things.....

If Boris passes the current deal then there will be a transition period .

during that transition period nothing changes from now to the end of the transition.

personally, i would continue to get Charlie tested and then he is covered whatever the future outcome.

That’s what I was hoping, BUT we have always understood that if the vaccination date was missed then the whole process, including the blood test had to be competed.

APHA seems to state that 21 days after a first rabies injection a dog can be taken out of the UK - without the blood test! So can Charlie be taken out without the blood test???

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
That’s what I was hoping, BUT we have always understood that if the vaccination date was missed then the whole process, including the blood test had to be competed.

APHA seems to state that 21 days after a first rabies injection a dog can be taken out of the UK - without the blood test! So can Charlie be taken out without the blood test???

i cant answer that for you i am sorry.
I have an opinion, but its only an pinion.
i dont believe any one, including DEFRA will give you a definitive answer until a deal is foramlised or not with the EU.

what we all know for certain is in a worse case scenario UK dogs are treated as a Third party country, therefore , IMHO the only safe course of action until more information is forthcoming is either to prepare for that eventuality or wait until more information is available. But it is likely that the date of your blood test will have passed by thyen and may not be valid if then needed.

its "rock and a hrd place " i'm affraid.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well, it looks like its going to be Brexit on January 31st, so should I be relieved? Stop worrying that we will get to Portsmouth and Charlie wont be able to travel???

Can anyone tell me when DEFRA said we dont need a blood test in order to travel to the EU?

Charlie is - An adult dog who has had rabies jabs for 10 years BUT has a gap between his last one and his latest, which was at beginning of December.

Does he need the blood test which is scheduled for the 2nd January? Should he have it anyway?? After some of the comments I would rather not put him through the blood test if its not necessary.

IF he needs the blood test, will we be able to travel on the 4th March?? This is only 2 months instead of the 3 months Required. Our Vet didn’t know if he would need blood test or not!

Charlie has a replacement French passport ( his UK was full) does this make any difference???

This is still so complicated and the APHA email really did not answer the very basic question I asked - can I take him to Spain!!

Ginny
Assuming we leave in an orderly fashion on 31 Jan 2020, which seems a certainty now, there will be no need for a blood test for any travel next year. This is covered in the quote in the OP:

"If a deal is agreed and an implementation period is confirmed, you can travel with your pet to the EU under the current pet travel rules using your current EU pet passport."

Of course if something unforeseen happens and we suddenly crash out then you will need to have had the blood test done. But if it is required you still wouldn't be able to take the dog to the EU until after three months has elapsed from the blood test. So if you had the test done on 2 Jan 2020 then you wouldn't be able to travel before April.

It will do no harm having the blood test done, assuming the dog passes of course (!) but the chances of it being needed next year are very slim.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Now you understand why I am in a quandary!!!
Now Brexit is 99% certain next month, no need to worry until the end of next year. Nothing will change until then. All you will need is the Pet Passport and worming treatment before returning, for the dog not you!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Now you understand why I am in a quandary!!!
It makes no difference, if you travel from the UK to the EU you are entering the EU, it doesn't matter whether your trip started in France or not. :)

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Got off the phone to Defra only yesterday. To be frank she could only repeat what has been said on a few previous posts ie we’re not sure ourselves yet. She did state that the passport would be replaced with a “health certificate” though what difference that would be from the passport I don’t know.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Got off the phone to Defra only yesterday. To be frank she could only repeat what has been said on a few previous posts ie we’re not sure ourselves yet. She did state that the passport would be replaced with a “health certificate” though what difference that would be from the passport I don’t know.
The health certificate will involve a visit to your vet (£25) each time you travel. It can be done 10 days prior to travel. Our vet told us prior to the previous Brexit date, that she would not issue one for Casper as his previous blood test 8 years ago had not allowed the 30 days between injection and test. His was under old regulations of 21 days.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
As already said
Pet travel during an implementation period
If a deal is agreed and an implementation period is confirmed, you can travel with your pet to the EU under the current pet travel rules using your current UK issued EU pet passport.

If you’re travelling with your pet for the first time you’ll have to visit your vet to get a pet passport.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am confused as to why all this is an issue. UK is rabies-free. why do we need to prove the animal is OK to GO abroad? It was all to allow animals INTO the UK. What changed, if it was the UK that wanted proof to enable travel. Why should the EU need proof to go there from a rabies-free country?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I am confused as to why all this is an issue. UK is rabies-free. why do we need to prove the animal is OK to GO abroad? It was all to allow animals INTO the UK. What changed, if it was the UK that wanted proof to enable travel. Why should the EU need proof to go there from a rabies-free country?
So you can get back in with your dog numpty :rolleyes:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Because the EU doesn't know what deals we might sign up with the US. If we are prepared to allow their food in then allowing rabies infected dogs in from the USA will be small beer.

:) The above might contain a degree of exaggeration but you have to look at from the EU's perspective. :)

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
If we are treated like a 3rd country, in the EU’s eyes we will be no different to a rabies ridden country. The DEFRA site explains the options.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
From the French Property website:-

Leaving the EU
Following Brexit, the ability of both UK and EU resident pet owners to travel between the UK and the EU will be affected.

The UK leaving the EU means it will at some stage become a 'third country' for the purposes of pet travel.

The EU has a three-tier system for the movement of pet dogs, cats and ferrets from third countries to Member States: Part 1 listed country, Part 2 listed country and Unlisted.

Being a listed country allows for several exemptions from the requirements for animals travelling from non-EU countries to EU Member States.

Part 1 listed country: this requires owners to have a completed third-country pet passport, which must include proof of anti-rabies vaccination. For those travelling to the UK (Finland, Ireland or Malta) from the EU, pet dogs will also have to show proof in their passports of treatment against Echinococcus multilocularis (a tapeworm species).

Part 2 listed country: this requires owners to have a valid certificate for a pet issued for each entry into the EU.This is valid for travel within the EU for four months only. The certificate must include proof of anti-rabies vaccination and the same treatment requirements for Echinococcus multilocularis as for Part 1 listed countries. Pets are only allowed to enter the EU through designated traveller ports of entry.

Unlisted country: In addition to Part 2 listed country requirements the certificate must also show a valid anti-rabies titration test (to show the vaccine has been effective). This requires the vaccination for rabies to have been at least four months before the intended travel date. The test must have been carried out in an EU-approved laboratory or in a laboratory approved by one of the EU-27 Member States on a sample taken at least 30 days after vaccination and not less than three months before movement.

With a deal
If the UK leaves the EU with a deal based on the Withdrawal Agreement there would be a transition period of up to two years during which existing rules as set out above would continue to apply.

After that the conditions for travelling with pets would be those that agreed during negotiations for post-Brexit arrangements, based on the UK’s position as a third country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back