Latest HM Government on Spain Visas (1 Viewer)

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
It’s not about a few Motorhomes though.
Spain relies on lots of Brits long term over Winter

You really believe this? Out of all the other nationalities that visit Spain over winter, that the Spanish depend on the British? Where do you get the data to support your statement?

Mick

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
With you on that Mick
Part of the problem is the figure of 1.1 million Brits in the EU currently. The vast majority of those are workers and a lot assume it’s ‘us’
Also the figure of 12 million from the UK visit Spain every year. That won’t change and the important thing is the time spent there, normally a fortnight which you could do a few times without a problem.
So outwardly it looks like the current ‘over 90 day’ people like motorhomers, holiday home owners etc are doing it in vast numbers. By default that can’t be the case as you, for the most part, would have to be retired or wealthy. This is a relatively new phenomenon as the idea that 40 years ago anybody retired at 55 and swanned off around Europe for months on end is for the birds. Most couldn’t afford a second car let alone a motorhome which were mostly VW caravanette in those days. We forget that Benidorm didn’t exist, created by Freddie Laker and Marbella was created by the rich, invited in by Spain. There is still a visa for that which is how the Russians do that now.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
It may come of a big surprise to some of you that there are people in Spain (the same as we have in uk) who consider the briish old agers to be parasites on their economy bed blocking their hospitals and a drain on their public services. sound familiar to some peoples thoughts about foreigners in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Which is why, after 31/10 we will have to apply for a non lucrative visa which entails a personal visit to the Spanish embassy, DBS checks, suitable private medical cover and an independent income of 2500e a month.
It’s just about the same as ‘non workers’ or students that want to come here for longer than 90 days.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Which is why, after 31/10 we will have to apply for a non lucrative visa which entails a personal visit to the Spanish embassy, DBS checks, suitable private medical cover and an independent income of 2500e a month.
It’s just about the same as ‘non workers’ or students that want to come here for longer than 90 days.

I'm ok took a life sentence and married a young lady from Valencia 39 years ago I have rights of residence through marriage but my god you don't want to know about the red tape to get that right. Good news no restriction on holidays there for me just the life sentence:D(y)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Out of interest, and not because I intend to go and live in Spain, much as I like it :) - does the income requirement of 2500 Euros per month relate to each individual, or to a couple?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Out of interest, and not because I intend to go and live in Spain, much as I like it :) - does the income requirement of 2500 Euros per month relate to each individual, or to a couple?
Per person.
I haven't seen the amount in writing but the non-eu citizen amount required for a U.S. citizen is 75,000$
Even at 2,500€ there aren't many Brits going to be able to comply with it when you consider that the amount required at the moment for any EU citizen is less than 500€/month, which is all they can stipulate as that us the basic ,noncontributory, pension amount for an impoverished Spanish national.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
2000 for ‘first’ person and then 500 for partner I believe. Haven’t looked for a while as won’t be doing it for a year.
Slightly frustrating that a lot of people think it’s the Europeans doing this to us.
‘We’ have chosen to leave and now we will be subject to the same rules as all other 3rd countries who have had to comply with this for some years.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Also you have to stay in Spain for a total of 187 days in first year and then renew for another two years after end of first. The problem will be the mh if hab door is on near side and if you still satisfy the residency test in UK and drive back for any length of time with a re registered mh you are effectively importing a foreign registered vehicle!

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
The other consideration is that the visa for the most part is, up till now, for non EU people that would have some form of fixed address in Spain ie holiday home, rented apartment etc. Whilst the Spanish regions have been accepting a camp site for the purpose of registering padron and subsequent residencia, this visa is a national Spanish requirement which may not recognise motorhomes on a camp site as sufficient. You’ve always had to tell the local authority that you were in their region after 90 days but no one bothered which is why back in March there was a 3 month waiting list to do that in the Benidorm area. Whilst occasionally you might see, up to now, the occasional non EU mh, it’s very rare that they would consider this visa I suspect.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
It’s simples really...........may be ..

When we leave we become a 3rd country in the eyes (laws which we agreed to when a member) of the EU countries.

So the rules are 90 days visa free visit as a tourist in every 180 days.

No doubt controlled at the EU border.

Only other visa I am aware of is one for work or education. Then you apply to the country you are working or studying in, not the EU.

Obvious extra paperwork if your job requires travel between EU countries ( maybe you take a short holiday in the other country as no internal controls due to free movement.

if you want to live there longer than 90 days it looks like you need to apply for some form of residency.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
There is the non lucrative visa I’ve mentioned above which effectively is ‘residencia’ which might suit some here but not then motorhoming as we currently know it. I’ve settled on 90 in and 90 out, so much easier. Only irksome thing is not even being able to pop across for a wargraves visit or city break to Warsaw or similar when I’m back here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back