Late starters ... (1 Viewer)

Thewislons

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
…. well actually we haven't really started yet! George & Lesley (aka The Dragon) here looking for information and wise words whilst we make up our minds which motorhome to buy. Indecisive? Certainly. Enjoying the experience? Definitely. Will we make it, and actually buy? If not it could be divorce. :ROFLMAO:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I bet there are some who would go for the second option ...

Its fun, enjoy it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2018
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi and welcome, try before you buy would be my advise, we hired two before we took the plunge, it really did help as if we had have just gone out and bought one we would have had one like the first one we hired but it wasn't right for us.

Hope you find the right one for you and have loads of happy times

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
…. well actually we haven't really started yet! George & Lesley (aka The Dragon) here looking for information and wise words whilst we make up our minds which motorhome to buy. Indecisive? Certainly. Enjoying the experience? Definitely. Will we make it, and actually buy? If not it could be divorce. :ROFLMAO:

Welcome also

First of all do not be frightened by the decision making.

Just work through a logical process

I suggest starting with some questions to yourselves as to:-

How many people - just you two? kids? g/kids? guests?

Type of camping? only campsites? wildcamping? mixture?

Climate? Skiing? Morrocco? Summer/Winter?

Licences - do one/both have C1(over 3.5t)

What activities do you want to do when away - scooter/M/C, pushbikes, canoeing, paragliding etc.?

Where will you want to park it at home/storage? dimensions available?

Do you want to sleep in double or single beds?

What is your budget?

I may have left out some questions, but until you can answer these sort of questions you are ill-equipped to go looking.

You need to be able to answer these questions so that you can write a 'Specification', which will detail those things that are essential, and by default not necessary. I found that by doing so it concentrated my mind on what models to look at, but also by showing it to salesmen it told them 2 things

- I am a serious buyer

- don't waste my(and your) time showing me unsuitable models.

You may think this approach is too analytical. My personal justification for it is that it lead me to buying(privately) a Niesmann&Bischoff Arto 69GL at 6 years old with 16,000 miles for £27.5K - a well-built German make. It was my first MH and I still have it and very pleased with it after 10 years and will not be selling soon. It would now sell for £24-5K, so almost no depreciation.

I tell you my story to counter those who say you have to have 2-3 MHs before you find the right one. For me swapping MHs is an expensive way of learning.

My approach is - Research, Research..... and then more Research

When you can answer the questions above come back to me and I will tell you why I suggest you decide on those answers.

Good luck.

Geoff

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun