Lastpass now free - Free professional password manager, (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Thanks for the heads up, I have been using it for a while on the pc and was thinking of subscribing to get the cross-platform benefits. I previously used Kaspersky password manager but Lastpass works much better for me.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
If ever there was a website more targeted by hackers eh? I can't imagine their security bods ever sleep :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If ever there was a website more targeted by hackers eh? I can't imagine their security bods ever sleep :eek:

It doesn't work like that.

They don't hold client passwords centrally. It's made very clear all the way through the process that if you lose/forget your master password they can't help.

All the data you choose to encrypt, be that passwords or anything else, is stored on your own machine or device.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It doesn't work like that.

They don't hold client passwords centrally. It's made very clear all the way through the process that if you lose/forget your master password they can't help.

All the data you choose to encrypt, be that passwords or anything else, is stored on your own machine or device.

Mostly correct. They do store a file containing your passwords but this is HEAVILY encrypted. This is however encrypted on your computer and then decrypted again on your computer. Lastpass don't have access to the unencrypted files. so even if Last pass was hacked, the hackers couldn't get anything useful.

Believe me when I say I checked this out thoroughly before using them. I am heavily security conscious.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
what happens with this if i start to use it now do i have to reset all my existing password?
No, 2 things will happen.

If you have your existing passwords saved in your browser it will import them.
then for any others as you login to a new site it will ask you if you want to save them.

You can then test your passwords for strength, and monitor when they were last changed plus loads more.

Changing a password used in LastPass is nice and easy as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to try to understand this ... I assume I just have to then use ONE password for everything once I have got this on my laptop?

As there are some things that both me and hubby access on different machines (laptop for me, PC for him) how would we go about using it on both machines?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just to try to understand this ... I assume I just have to then use ONE password for everything once I have got this on my laptop?

As there are some things that both me and hubby access on different machines (laptop for me, PC for him) how would we go about using it on both machines?

I am not sure what you are asking? If you share 1 lastpass account then you can have multiple logins to sites. If you have separate logins for windows you can have separate lastpass accounts. You can share lastpass logins, you can have separate logins, you can have multiple accounts.

The only example I can give is that I have two paypal accounts one business and one personal.
When I go the paypal login page, in the login box there is a lastpass button, I click this and select which account to login to and then click login. That is it. To go to the other account, I log out and repeat the first step.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Being a cynical old chap, knowing nothing in life is a free lunch... I wonder how the commercial company Lastpass will now make the revenue needed to pay the staff & the infrastructure needed.
Advertising or selling customer metadata?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Being a cynical old chap, knowing nothing in life is a free lunch... I wonder how the commercial company Lastpass will now make the revenue needed to pay the staff & the infrastructure needed.
Advertising or selling customer metadata?
They still offer a premium product which I for example still pay for. Their infrastructure demands are not huge in comparison to say a media, news or search company.
The have lots of other products which they cross sell.

They also have an Enterprise version which costs double the premium version but gives lots of enterprise tools to managing passwords plus much more.

I pay for the premium version for YubiKey support.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
whats a yubi key?
This is probably a better link.
https://www.yubico.com/why-yubico/for-individuals/

Basically 2 factor authentication is something you know (password) and something you have (dongle).

If a service gets hacked and your password escapes it will do no good because they don't have your dongle/key.

It is better than a mobile phone 2FA, because your mobile phone can get hacked as well.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
This is probably a better link.
https://www.yubico.com/why-yubico/for-individuals/

Basically 2 factor authentication is something you know (password) and something you have (dongle).

If a service gets hacked and your password escapes it will do no good because they don't have your dongle/key.

It is better than a mobile phone 2FA, because your mobile phone can get hacked as well.
A while ago my bank account was hacked into and the perp set up another savings account in the hope of transferring all my funds into and then emptying. The only way I knew, was the fact that the bank contacted me via mobile phone to tell me I have this set up and password re-set requested. I couldn't log onto banking because they had changed password to stop me noticing anything. Although the phone account had been got at as well, they couldn't do anything about sending a text message to another number. 2 factor authentication is defo the way ahead. I used to have Lastpass, but got rid of it after this incident thinking they may have got in this way, but clearly not realising they do not store passwords etc, so thanks for the info @Gromett and @NickNic I may re-install.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I used the premium last pass but I had a problem with pop ups. I contacted them to resolve it but they couldn't so I haven't paid the subscription. I now have the free version working on my phone and tablet. The pop ups still happen when I browse through their browser so only use it to access my passwords.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to say thanks for bringing this to our attention Gromett, since I started been having problems with Chrome and it no longer remembering/storing my site passwords and driving me nuts I remembered you mentioned Lastpass so I've installed it and now use it on Chrome. The big bonus is that I can use it on any of pc/laptop/tablet/phone/gadgets and not have to remember lots of passwords so long as it's been downloaded onto that particular browser and it means hubby can also use it to access the sites too so isn't constantly asking me for the ruddy passwords!

The ONLY issue I have is that sometimes if I open a site it doesn't have the Lastpass icon in the name/password boxes but if I go through Lastpass itself and 'launch' the sites from there it works, not sure why as some are okay, others not, but at least I'm happy that I don't have to keep logging in all the time ... never did managed to get to the bottom of the Chrome problem though.

So thanks once again Gromett! :dogthanks:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back