Lasting Power of Attorney - refunds for fees (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you obtained and registered a Lasting Power of Attorney since 2013 you could be eligible to partial refund on the fee you paid, you can do this on-line and its quite easy to do.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/power-of-attorney

If you HAVEN'T got one please consider doing the financial one ... if something happens and you are not able to deal with stuff yourself anymore it can create a whole load of stress and expense ... this also applies to doing your wills.

There are a few threads on there about it, the one below for example is one I started:

Broken Link Removed

May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Thanks Minxy Girl, off to tell our "Oldies".......wonder if they will give us a finders fee!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks @Minxy Girl my wife and I have 2 each to follow up for a refund.

I would also strongly support the view that having a will is very important. My wife has spent the last four years untagling her brothers afairs after he and his wife were killed in a road accident. They had historic wills but because they had married since making them, they had, as usual, been automatically annulled by the marriage. They died intestate and both at the same time. When an itestate married couple die all the joint assets (house joint accounts etc.) pass to the one who dies last and are then passed on to their next of kin. If there is no way of telling who died first then it is assumed the youngest died last and all the joint assets pass to the youngest ones next of kin, as happened in this case. I only mention this because it is very easy to unwittingly leave your relatives with mighty problems to unravel just because you don’t have a current will.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I applied yesterday online for our refunds - we each have a financial LPA, arranged January 2017. Looks as though we are due £45 each!

It was very straightforward and only took a couple of minutes for each application. So hopefully a quick £90. :)

Apparently, we might have to wait until late April for the money to come through. But all good. (y)

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Thank you @Minxy Girl for this information. I got on to it straight away as we both have the Financial Power of Attorney set up and qualify for a refund of £45 each. Gov.UK have had all our Granny Bond money this year so it will be a consolation to get a few pounds back.
:cartoon:

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
Many Thanks- done on on-line

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Many thanks @Minxy Girl we did ours last year so a few quid to come back.

Might not have picked that up so yet another justification for being a member of the best Motorhome Club (y)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Thanks Minxy my parents both had lasting power of attorneys, and as I was the one named, I can claim as unfortunately they are no longer with me

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks @Minxy Girl claim submitted. Easy online form and all you have to do is make one claim and they will check their records for the other ones.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we did ours in 2015 I paid in full however I found out that as we don't work and have no income other than our savings and a bit of dosh from our rental bungalow we qualified for a 50% refund then, however I have still been able to request a part-refund for the 50% payment ... £37 between us but still worth doing! (y)

Done my Mum's too (she paid 50% originally too) so she'll get £18.50 back ... not told her yet though as she's always complaining that she's got too much money!!! :D

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Thanks for this Mel. Have had a very quick look as MIL sorted this out in that time frame regarding her own needs and looks at first glance she could be due back the full amount and included property so could be £108 x 2 as she paid for my wife Joy for herself. Great result your a star.
Ray

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We have an appointment to do LPA for my mum on Tuesday next I will ask about the charges while there.
It sounds as though you might be planning to visit a solicitor to arrange the LPA?

If so, just to say it is very straightforward to organise yourself and the whole process can be done online. The website is pretty much self-explanatory.

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

There shouldn't be any worries about whether the documents have been completed correctly, because it won't be approved and registered if there are errors in the application.

We didn't encounter any difficulties, but I gather the Office of the Public Guardian is very helpful if there are queries on your application.

Just to add, we did use a Solicitor to update our Wills, however.

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
Totally agree with last comment. I did both of ours on line - dead simple. Saved us at least £70 each in solicitor fees which we had paid for LPA for MIL.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just to add, we did use a Solicitor to update our Wills, however.
I agree with that. A solicitor friend once told me he didn’t make much from writing wills but did very well out of badly written ones.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Totally agree with last comment. I did both of ours on line - dead simple. Saved us at least £70 each in solicitor fees which we had paid for LPA for MIL.
I think the solicitor quoted us £150 for each LPA plus the cost of registration, which at the time was £110 (now reduced) for each. And they were keen that we each had both types, but at the moment we've only gone for the finance LPAs - which in the event we organised ourselves.

So had we fully followed the advice and let the solicitor arrange everything, it would have worked out a fairly expensive exercise.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have both finance and health and welfare. My thinking is none of us know when we might be struck down by something, so it is better to have it covered and make sure those appointed know your wishes. I set up my first one when I was single and appointed my son and daughter jointly. I told them that if it came down to a decision whether to switch the machine off there would be 3 votes, their 2 and mine and that mine had already been cast in favour of OFF. I have no wish continue a half life in a vegetative state.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We intend to register health and welfare LPAs, but haven't got round to those yet. Reckoned finance was the first priority.

At least the cost of registration has reduced, so no excuse for not putting our thinking caps on and getting them done I guess.

Oct 27, 2016
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1997
We thought about doing the health and welfare LPA as well but on reading the blurb it appeared to us that the medics could over rule your wishes anyway so felt it was potentially a waste of money.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It is very easy to do an LPA yourself - you are IMV just wasting money paying for a solicitor to do it. We've done the Finance ones but haven't bothered with the health ones as can't see the point.

As for wills, I've done ours myself - I just use one that we had done free a long time ago (a 'perk' for my union membership) and update it as our situation changes, easier than having to get a solicitor to do it every time and a hell of a lot cheaper (ie free!!). You can buy will packs from the Post office cheaply if you want to have a go without having to type it up.

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for info. I did PoAs for my aunt 3 years ago, unfortunately she has now passed away so the claim has to be done over the phone. There in lies the problem. Telephone, option 6 twice, then told in a queue, twice told to ring back later and then cut off. Third time, told in a queue and I was Number 36! Decided to hold on as numbers appeared to going down every 10 seconds or so. Got down to no.30 then told I was to be cut off and to ring back later!
Will keep trying.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How come it doesn't apply to Scotland? Did we not pay fees?

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for info. I did PoAs for my aunt 3 years ago, unfortunately she has now passed away so the claim has to be done over the phone. There in lies the problem. Telephone, option 6 twice, then told in a queue, twice told to ring back later and then cut off. Third time, told in a queue and I was Number 36! Decided to hold on as numbers appeared to going down every 10 seconds or so. Got down to no.30 then told I was to be cut off and to ring
back later!Will keep trying.

Same thing happened to me, sent an email to poarefunds@justice.gsi.gov.uk, received an auto response stating they will respond to my query within 10 working days.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't know whether to bother my mums in care spending down to the savings limit in a few months time the refund goes back to her then they will have it back in care fees in a couple of months time!

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
I have both finance and health and welfare. My thinking is none of us know when we might be struck down by something, so it is better to have it covered and make sure those appointed know your wishes. I set up my first one when I was single and appointed my son and daughter jointly. I told them that if it came down to a decision whether to switch the machine off there would be 3 votes, their 2 and mine and that mine had already been cast in favour of OFF. I have no wish continue a half life in a vegetative state.
If you can get on the internet and go to the link the OP has provided under “ in this guide “ which is basically the second section last bit states 1m+ owed fee refund- how to claim click on that and follow from there. Hope this helps, if I can do it anyone can believe me :LOL:
Ray

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
@Minxy Girl , many thanks for the info on this. I've just completed the online application which is very easy and quick to do.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
(y)
I applied yesterday online for our refunds - we each have a financial LPA, arranged January 2017. Looks as though we are due £45 each!

It was very straightforward and only took a couple of minutes for each application. So hopefully a quick £90. :)

Apparently, we might have to wait until late April for the money to come through. But all good. (y)
Just received a text and an email to say our refunds of £45 + 27 pence interest each have been approved and the money will be paid within ten days! So a total of £90.54 for the two of us... Result! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back