Last chance water pump repair (1 Viewer)

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
I have a Shurflo 2088 water pump for my fresh water and noticed a very slight leak coming from the unit. Looked on the net for repairs but general consensus is it's not a financially viable thing to do, especially as pump has a date of 7/90 on it !

One interesting idea I found though which I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on - if your pump has a small leak and you are considering replacing it, why not first try taking it apart, drying thoroughly all joints, gluing together and clamping tight as you can. Then try it and see?

Make sense? Worthwhile?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a service kit available for those pumps, but it can be up to half the price of a replacement pump

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My RV pump, also a shurflo, was leaking and i did as you suggest.....strip, clean and rebuild.

i used blue Hylomar automotive gasket cement to 'stick' it back together with great results and you dont need to over tighten the screws.

the cement is toxic but the quantity used is insignificant and has had no ill effects over the last year or so.

figured if it seals car water pumps and thermostat housings it will seal a motorhome water pump

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Can you put a bigger water pump (more pressure) into an old system. I don't know what pump I've got (too cold to go out and the snow is slippery) but when using the shower, I can't lift the shower head higher than my waist if I want hot water - hang it on the wall at head height and all I get is an icy blast - woke me up if nothing else! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Can you put a bigger water pump (more pressure) into an old system. I don't know what pump I've got (too cold to go out and the snow is slippery) but when using the shower, I can't lift the shower head higher than my waist if I want hot water - hang it on the wall at head height and all I get is an icy blast - woke me up if nothing else! ::bigsmile:

The pump on my 05 LMC died and Camper UK told me that the original pump had been superceded by a turbo pump ! They sent me one and I now have twice the water flow ::bigsmile:

Mike.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
My RV pump, also a shurflo, was leaking and i did as you suggest.....strip, clean and rebuild.

i used blue Hylomar automotive gasket cement to 'stick' it back together with great results and you dont need to over tighten the screws.

the cement is toxic but the quantity used is insignificant and has had no ill effects over the last year or so.

figured if it seals car water pumps and thermostat housings it will seal a motorhome water pump

Highly reccomended for water pumps then:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back