Larger Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
What have peoples experience been with larger motorhomes say over 7.5 meters? have you had trouble finding aires and or campsites with pitches large enough both here and on the continent?

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
We use a 7 m van with a 1.2 m rack in rear. We have never had a problem to date at home or abroad.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We're 8.5m(ish) + bike rack on the back too. Never posed a problem for us really. Accessing some of the camping pitches round the Italian lakes was 'interesting' but apart from that it's been fairly straight forward.

Point the nose forward and the rear catches up eventually.

It's amazing what a difference the extra feet internally can make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
new to this and went for 8 meters and so far not had any issues, although was advised going much larger could be a problem at certain sites.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Mine is 7.4 m long & 2.4 wide,I've not really had any problems accessing any of the larger sites but I don't go down the small lanes that I used to with my old VW pop top.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ours is 8 metres and we haven't had any problems.

Well I did have an issue with a wall in Spain a few years ago but I can't blame the van for that:whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van was 7.2m current one 7.5m on maiden voyage at the moment in France not noticed any difference. We find width more important both vans 2.2m wide.
Don't know about the UK hardly ever use the van in the UK.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We only have problems with the odd site saying anything over 8m's is too big , but there are plenty to chose from. It cost more on the ferry and the new forest for over 8m's

Wouldn't have it any other way though. Taken ours down some very small roads no problems , even the winding roads up skiing . If a bus can get there so can we :D:D

Ours is just under 9m's, we find height or width more of a problem :love::love::love::love:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think the biggest problem people experience is width, and given many 6M vans are the same (ish) width as 8M vans, the problems of access are pretty much common (with the possible exception of overswing on corners & stability/levelling whilst stationary)

We have a 6M van. Our reasons?

• Two of us, it's enough for us + occasional extra passenger
  • Layout suits us, we don't entertain 6 people at a time to dinner which we can't cook without an oven
  • Good payload to size ratio, generous 812Kg payload on 3.5T
  • No need for extensive overhang (overhang, wobbly rear end) resulting from garage size
  • we don't spend extended time in the van (mostly used for touring),
  • we wanted to park comfortably on our driveway when back in the UK,
  • if we take it to the shops we can just about manage in a larger car parking slot,
  • we wanted to keep our visual profile lower whilst parked on street or in wild,
  • the wife is far more comfortable driving a shorter vehicle and I want to be able to hand over the driving to her at times (better driver!)
  • 3.5T weight limit is actually quite common where we live in both Portugal and UK
  • We wanted to discourage freeloading friends/relatives
  • Cheaper in ferries/shuttle & sometimes tolls

But those were our priorities, everyone has different needs. Layout and suitability are the two criteria I would set. I don't think you can over analyse your needs when considering a M/H. I wouldn't buy on the basis of size, but suitability for my purpose

Happy with our choice, which suits us. I am delighted we never bothered with a sat system and opted for online entertainment, we regret not having Gaslow and (to a lesser extent) awning (both actively being considered)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
As has been said width is more of a concern than length. But my biggest concern is height, over 3m and mine is 3.3, then things can be interesting where ever you go. Just need to keep your wits about you but having said that a tree did jump out and attack me!

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
We had a 8.86 mt tag and whilst most of the time it did not present much of an issue, without doubt you have to be more selective where you chose to go, particularly in Spain, where some of the sites the pitches are cery tight.
We swapped to 8 mt van 2 years ago and we noticed the difference in where and how we could use it and park.
Having said that am about to go back to an 8.35 tag.
As previously said, but to suit your needs and usage. But you will always find somewhere to use your pride and joy, despite how large it msy be.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We are 9 metres plus bike rack, live in Devon, tour France, Spain, and Portugal in the winter months, never had any problems. A few small campsites and a few narrow roads. Just plan your route and be aware of size. (y)

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Our Motorhome is 8.6 m long 2.55 m wide and 3.6 m high. We've never had any problem with the length, the width can be interesting on narrow roads but we have had a couple of times when height was an issue getting onto shaded pitches!

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
9m tag axle and apart from the odd occasion never experienced an issue with length. Just having an awareness of how long you are when driving and the rear overhang i would suggest is probably the biggest issue. Width and height most vans are indentical.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I never had any issues with my 8.67m tag axle on any sites at home or in France.

A couple of times when using club site, hard standings at home, when booking in, the wardens would advise that they had only one or two pitches that would accommodate the length, until I explained I needed a lot less than that for the wheels.
As long as there was a clear area behind the pitch for the overhang to hang over, it would fit on most standard length pitches.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Our Motorhome is 8.6 m long 2.55 m wide and 3.6 m high. We've never had any problem with the length, the width can be interesting on narrow roads but we have had a couple of times when height was an issue getting onto shaded pitches!

Tiddler lol. Mine is 9.5 long 2.6 wide 3.5 high? Always get in somewhere.
Did get refused on a cc 5 van site once, she said people had complained that large motorhomes blocked the light, I said perhaps you misunderstood me, its 9.5 metres long, not high. :D

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Only real issues we've had on our 8.4m tag axle is on uneven/sloping ground when, because of a long overhang, we can occasionally ground out.

Whatever you do though, don't fit little roller wheels to 'prevent/ease' the grounding.

Ian

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We had a 8.5m RV over a year period. Agree with most of what's been said. We once had the back actually in a hedge and the front bumper in the road, in Samur I think, but we always got on. In the early days we were a novelty and perhaps more easily accepted, towards the end of our ownership people were definitely becoming less tolerant though. Driving our sub 7m Hymer is certaintly more relaxing.

Malcolm

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Only real issues we've had on our 8.4m tag axle is on uneven/sloping ground when, because of a long overhang, we can occasionally ground out.

Whatever you do though, don't fit little roller wheels to 'prevent/ease' the grounding.

Ian
Thats an interesting comment re "little wheels" Concorde fit them as standard and all they seem to do is reduce the ground clearance to give you a problem you would not have without them and then they bend the brackets, are your comments from bitter experience.

Martin

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I've recently downsized from 8m to 6.75. The last van was 2.35m wide, 3.1m high and weighed 5.3T.
As others have said, the length was rarely an issue, just a little tight on some pitches. The height was more of a problem, particularly on some Spanish sites which have quite low tree cover. It was also an issue when I occasionally used toll roads and they tried to charge me for a lorry[I always pressed the help button and they reduced the price]. The weight was also something that I was wary of, particularly as I sped through France! Damn those pesky speed cameras. It was a twin wheel rear axle and the tyre pressures were always a pain in the a**e.
Having said all that, when I got there, it was bloody comfortable. So you pay your money and take your chance!
Terry

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thats an interesting comment re "little wheels" Concorde fit them as standard and all they seem to do is reduce the ground clearance to give you a problem you would not have without them and then they bend the brackets, are your comments from bitter experience.

Martin

No, not bitter experience, just an understanding of the relationship between ground clearance and grounding frequency.

Based on views expressed when this topic has been discussed previously (not on this forum), the number of people with your understanding and insight are few and far between!

Ian

OP
OP
ChrisL
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thank you everyone for your replies they have set my mind at ease regarding motorhome length, i think around 8 meters should suit my needs nicely. Best wishes to all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back