large tv with analogue ability ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am looking to replace one of our tellies
Woman is happy to stick with what she has which means I can replace mine

BUT

Sky is fed throughout the house using the standard coax feed.
Sky box's output in analogue not digital
All our tv's are analogue and digital capable, so off air stuff is digital while one channel ( the output from the Sky box ) is analogue

Anyone know of a large format tv ( up to 60" ) which has analogue capability ?

I cannot be the only one with this issue !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
just invest in a digital AV sender and receiver(s)
I do not want to transmit digital, but analogue and end up with digital :)
I have tried the AV senders ( I would need need six receivers ) and even one of the best was no where near powerful enough to reach even the closest telly !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I can't give a specific model but many still do have Analogue tuners. The large screen Sony's I have certainly do. Even the Aldi 21" less than a year old still has analogue.
So don't assume they have all gone digital only . ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone know of a large format tv ( up to 60" ) which has analogue capability ?
I cannot be the only one with this issue !

Is sky outputting RF analogue ?

I have a cheap Chinese "set top box" in use with aerial in and HDMI out.

Something like this

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is sky outputting RF analogue ?

I have a cheap Chinese "set top box" in use with aerial in and HDMI out.

Something like this

And how would I feed the output of that to all the tellies round the house ?
Has it got analogue RF out ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Been to Currys..
Got a 65" LG Oleg (? ) telly being delivered tomorrow morning
Free five year warranty and free delivery
All the LG range have analogue tuners :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I can't give a specific model but many still do have Analogue tuners. The large screen Sony's I have certainly do. Even the Aldi 21" less than a year old still has analogue.
So don't assume they have all gone digital only . ?
Just checked mate.. The new batch do not have analogue ability .. But thanks for the input :)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I've got a RF modulator you can have if its of any use.
Andy

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I've got a RF modulator you can have if its of any use.
Andy
Thanks Andy, but I have sorted it now mate.. The issue was the output from the Sky box is analogue. That feeds a multiplex 12 way splitter amplifier which feed the other points in the house.
Obviously it does not matter to the splitter what data is being carried through the coax, so it feeds the off air digital signals and the analogue signal from the Sky box.
The RF from the analogue output from the Sky box is received by the various tv's around them house as an analogue signal, so the tv's must be able to receive and make use of that analogue signal.. I did think about firing up an old digi set top box and using the scart feed from that in to the proposed new tv, not elegant, but it would have worked.
Then someone on the Blackbird forum I run mentioned that all the LG range still uses a split tuner and they were capable of handling an analogue station as well as digi ones, just like the old telly
Went on the LG web site ( which is streets better than almost every other makers sites for info ) and confirmed what was what.
With the new info I was able to nip round to Currys, make a purchase and sort out delivery for tomorrow :)
They did want £40 for a timed express delivery.. that was until I put the money back in my pocket, thanked them and headed for the door. Seems money speaks and suddenly a free delivery was possible after all

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And how would I feed the output of that to all the tellies round the house ?
Has it got analogue RF out ?

That's already in place isn't it. This was the possible solution for one new TV, but not needed now anyway.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We had exactly the same system as Jaws, and I was surprised to find that almost all new TVs still have analogue tuners. Have moved now and got rid of all that with small remote Sky wireless boxes. Just the ticket!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That's already in place isn't it. This was the possible solution for one new TV, but not needed now anyway.
Sorry Brian, I got that round the wrong way.. will it understand an Analogue signal going in ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry Brian, I got that round the wrong way.. will it understand an Analogue signal going in ?

I think we may have a communications problem here.

The "set top box" input is Freeview from a good old TV aerial. That's digital in. HDMI out.

I think I guessed wrong on what the sky box outputs - does it output just the same as 1970s computers and games boxes, an RF signal in channel 36 ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think we may have a communications problem here.

The "set top box" input is Freeview from a good old TV aerial. That's digital in. HDMI out.

I think I guessed wrong on what the sky box outputs - does it output just the same as 1970s computers and games boxes, an RF signal in channel 36 ?
Same format ( analogue ) but you can chose what channel you use.. Mine is on ch 60... cannot use anything lower cos of interference causing cross modulation

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Same format ( analogue ) but you can chose what channel you use.. Mine is on ch 60... cannot use anything lower cos of interference causing cross modulation

At last, I understand.

And I remember the pain. I had a brilliant set up, 8 way distribution amp in the loft feeding the whole house, then digital arrived and the beautifully hand crafted recorder/player set up fell over because nothing for the consumer had digital out. The goal posts shifted, it was the big extinction event of the late 20th century.

But you hung in there, like an electronic Durasic Park. Put the word about and you'll have Attenborough on your doorstep in an anti-contamination suit, "we have to be very careful here, one germ and these magnificent creatures, thought to be extinct, really will vanish forever. Look, over there, I never thought I'd see one again, look at the beautifull markings Betamax. Is it too much to hope that there could be a breeding pair here ?. Look there, quick zoom in, if I'm not mistaken that is a Tandy TRS80, surely that one must be stuffed".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back