Jul 16, 2017
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New!
hello,

Another weekend day spent going around motor home dealers and back for some more advice...

We took on board the advice about a fixed bed and went back with fresh eyes. It turns out we've decided fixed beds aren't a waste of space

Quick recap: looking at vans for travelling around Europe for a year. Two people plus inflatable paddle boards (which can be quite cumbersome). Not going for about 18 months so in the early planning stages exploring all options.

We've looked at lots of vans today. We're still set on having two separate areas to go to as if we travel for months on end as planned we'd like to have the option of sitting in different areas for a bit of 'me' time if outside isn't an option. My husband was quite keen on a back window but he's decided he would actually be happy with cameras instead.

We really liked the Dethleffs Sunlight T69L mainly due to its large garage (and I mean LARGE!) storage. Are there any other vans that offer similar storage, that you think we should be looking at? We don't want single beds and we like the feeling of space which this end bedroom has too.

Thanks in advance.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Our Chausson 718 does everything we want at a reasonable price. Fixed bed, large garage modern interior with good quality fittings. Like you we looked for ages and couldn't find exactly what we wanted until we got in the Chausson. Might be worth you considering one. Some models can look a bit dull but the 718 with the anthecite cab and alloy wheels looks modern. With the VIP pack, Welcome trim and winter pack it really does tick a lot of boxes.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Have you looked at the Benimar range

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just watch to see if there is a weight limit to the garage.

We have a SunLiving (part of the Adria Group) and the garage weight limit is 150kg, enough for us but check what you want to keep in there! We are kayakers and cyclists so quite a lot of gear to stow.

As you are in no hurry to buy why not have a look round a show or two?

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
It might be worth signing up to here now and you could download the buying guide as that may help .

That said a rear window is a much use a a chocolate fire guard in my opinion.
Although we do have one you cant see much out of it when your up front.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mccheese

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
New!
Thank you for all your replies.

We will have a look at Sunliving, Chausson and Benimar. I'm spending far too much time looking at photos and videos!!!

I've also stumbled across the Burstner Lyseo 744 which looks nice but I can see the size of the garage too well from photos.

I'll make sure to download the buying guide as well.

In terms of weight in garage I don't think it will be too much. We're thinking the two paddleboards, outdoor chairs and table as well as extra clothing so I think weight wise it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

JonVonandDog

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
Wellingborough
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi, might be worth checking out Hayes leisure of Darlaston. They have a fairly wide range of foreign moho`s. Am shortly picking up a Hymer Carado from them, fixed island bed and fair sized garage. Good hunting.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
if you have a rear window and use a interior mirror you won't see a lot and you probably have to take the mirror down to shut the blinds

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or better still do a self build . you say you have 18mnths . lots time . get a 7.5 ton truck or bus and build a camper far better than the converters do.
and save about half the price.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi denisejoe, lol, bit confused, think this post may be on wrong topic. Had to smile tho.

Nope, definitely related to the first post:
My husband was quite keen on a back window but he's decided he would actually be happy with cameras instead.

:)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want a big garage Hymer Dynamic Line are about as bit as you get in moderate size van but over twice the dosh of a Sunlight and layouts probably won't suit your requirements.

Upvote 0

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
hello,

Another weekend day spent going around motor home dealers and back for some more advice...

We took on board the advice about a fixed bed and went back with fresh eyes. It turns out we've decided fixed beds aren't a waste of space

Quick recap: looking at vans for travelling around Europe for a year. Two people plus inflatable paddle boards (which can be quite cumbersome). Not going for about 18 months so in the early planning stages exploring all options.

We've looked at lots of vans today. We're still set on having two separate areas to go to as if we travel for months on end as planned we'd like to have the option of sitting in different areas for a bit of 'me' time if outside isn't an option. My husband was quite keen on a back window but he's decided he would actually be happy with cameras instead.

We really liked the Dethleffs Sunlight T69L mainly due to its large garage (and I mean LARGE!) storage. Are there any other vans that offer similar storage, that you think we should be looking at? We don't want single beds and we like the feeling of space which this end bedroom has too.

Thanks in advance.

I am waiting delivery of a new T69L in few months. I found the large garage is difficult to find on UK built coach builds . As said Carado 449 is much the same The garage allowance increases if you have a towbar fitted .

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good hunting.

You need to check carefully that the large garage does not leak water in as some them do. Sometimes the larger the opening the worse it can be. Our first hymer A class leaked badly, had to adjust the keepers and that helped a bit but finished up re-hanging the door.
A lot of manufacturers have had problems over the years with this, hymer and niesmann&bischoff to name 2 of them.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am waiting delivery of a new T69L in few months. I found the large garage is difficult to find on UK built coach builds . As said Carado 449 is much the same The garage allowance increases if you have a towbar fitted .
How does that work then?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Good hunting.

You need to check carefully that the large garage does not leak water in as some them do. Sometimes the larger the opening the worse it can be. Our first hymer A class leaked badly, had to adjust the keepers and that helped a bit but finished up re-hanging the door.
A lot of manufacturers have had problems over the years with this, hymer and niesmann&bischoff to name 2 of them.
Just for the record ours is dry as a bone and always has been(y) and it's got heating in it as well:LOL:

Martin

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
In terms of weight in garage I don't think it will be too much. We're thinking the two paddleboards, outdoor chairs and table as well as extra clothing so I think weight wise it shouldn't be too bad.

You will, without any question, have more things to put in the garage than that! Hookup cable, hose on a reel, ramps, and that's just the start. Garages always seem to be full - bikes, barbeques, charcoal, tools, the list goes on and on, you'll find plenty to put in it!

Rear window - I echo what others say, my van has one and actually the view through it in my interior mirror is OK for seeing what's behind you on a motorway - but a lack of an interior view through isn't a problem really, commercial vans don't have one. If you get a van with windscreen blinds then the interior mirror has to come off to close them. A rear window doesn't help with reversing. A decent rear view camera is the way to go - I've just got one that points down to help with reversing up to obstacles, but you can fit either a twin camera (one pointing down and one back) or a camera that is motorised and swivels down when you engage reverse - both of which give you that rear view when driving. A window isn't necessary.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Just for the record ours is dry as a bone and always has been(y) and it's got heating in it as well:LOL:

Martin

Yes they are not all damp Martin, you can get 2 of the exact same model, same year etc, one is bone dry, the other p1sses water in.

I have seen even the top range Clou's with 2 inch of standing water after a rain storm, you do keep yours dry stored too.

A little wager for you, park your van for a winter on our drive , over 1100ft up on the moors in upper Teesdale, extremely, incredibly exposed to intense storms where it swirls rain upwards(And I,m not joking), where it snows for fun and then we'll both check it come March;).

On is us is going to look a fool then, mind you, its usually me:LOL:.

Having said all that, a garage MH is great choice, if you can get a dry one.(And not park it on our drive)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
A igbgaragevis IMHO a good thing.

But more important than that is to make sure there is adequate overall payload..

For example some of the new Hymer DL range have a lovely garage with a 350kg pay load for the garage. BUT if you use that to the max, there's not much left for the rest of the van i.e. full fresh water tank, passenger, and so on.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A igbgaragevis IMHO a good thing.

But more important than that is to make sure there is adequate overall payload..

For example some of the new Hymer DL range have a lovely garage with a 350kg pay load for the garage. BUT if you use that to the max, there's not much left for the rest of the van i.e. full fresh water tank, passenger, and so on.
Ours is DL has a payload of 1300kg plenty of payload left with garage full and there is an option for 45Okg garage. Not practical to run a DL at 3500 so always plenty of payload.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Ours is DL has a payload of 1300kg plenty of payload left with garage full and there is an option for 45Okg garage. Not practical to run a DL at 3500 so always plenty of payload.
Agree - we've got plenty too as unrated to 3,850. And we don't fill the garage to max weight either.

However if you're stuck to 3500, our last Hymer had MIRO of 3015 which, if we'd loaded garage to the max 350 would have left less than 150 for everything else. 100l of fresh water is givevor take 100kg so...

As the yoof say "# justsayin"(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We have a large garage on our Rapido, it is stored outside in the East of Scotland, not at 1100 feet, but by the coast and doesn't leak, or hasn't to date! I guess you can get issues will all motorhomes as essentially they are all one off's so to speak! ;)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Agree - we've got plenty too as unrated to 3,850. And we don't fill the garage to max weight either.

However if you're stuck to 3500, our last Hymer had MIRO of 3015 which, if we'd loaded garage to the max 350 would have left less than 150 for everything else. 100l of fresh water is givevor take 100kg so...

As the yoof say "# justsayin"(y)

Which model have you got @milliethehymer ? We're currently trying to choose between a 588dl uprated to 3850, or a 678dl on a maxi chassis. I've used the Hymer configurator, and we'd still have around 500 payload on the 588, after adding all the extras. I'm pretty sure that would be enough for us.
As far as this thread is concerned, though, we don't stuff our van with 'all and sundry,' but it's important for us to have a garage large enough to stow full-sized bikes.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Van mentioned in my example was an MLI 580.

Current van is 534 Duo, which is slightly better in so far as 2900 MIRO but still IMHO was worth up rating to 3850 (as both our licences have C1, road tax is less, and French tolls still usually standard camping car rate especially if you press the help button..) so we did.

Guess my real point was suggesting to OP not to be seduced by garage space or stated weight capacity because if the payload is still low, the garage weight limit is kind of misleading as you won't be able to use it fully anyway.

Like you @bellabee , we tend to use the volume of the garage rather than the weight - a couple of bikes, BBQ, dogs food, Moroccan mat and it's fairly full but not anywhere near its weight limit

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to correct some comments ... you do NOT have to remove the rear-view mirror to close the screen blinds if you have the Remis ones that pull together from each side of the windscreen have a cut out section in each of the central edge strips that pushes out of the way when you shut them, it's only the single pull down/pull up ones that need the mirror removing which are not that common nowadays.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just to correct some comments ... you do NOT have to remove the rear-view mirror to close the screen blinds if you have the Remis ones that pull together from each side of the windscreen have a cut out section in each of the central edge strips that pushes out of the way when you shut them, it's only the single pull down/pull up ones that need the mirror removing which are not that common nowadays.
ours go side to side and we have to remove the mirror

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back