Large Family - what about the seatbelts? (1 Viewer)

clairebentley40

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Not yet!
Thanks for everyones help with my large family and motorhome needed.

Now I have been doing more research and can see that there maybe a problem with seatbelts.

From what I can understand, though it shouldn't be a problem, as long as I buy pre 2007 (well with my budget that won't be a prpblem:ROFLMAO:!) I can carry all six persons in my motorhome, whether it has two seatbelts or six?

I have just read another post on another website that:

The critical points are that for owners of older motorhomes, it will not become illegal to carry passengers in the rear, provided that no seatbelts are fitted to any seats behind the driver and front passenger seats. Owners of any motorhome that has belts fitted to any seat in the rear will need to be aware that, from May 2009, it will be illegal to carry passengers in any unbelted seats.

Does this mean that it is better to buy a motorhome that has only two seatbelts in the front?

Thanks for your advice once again - if this information is already posted on this forum just point me in the right direction and don't bother typing it all out again! Many thanks

Claire

Off to the Motorhome Show on the 26th September at the Lincolnshire showground - how there are some great bargains there!

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
The sad thing is that I know you are on a tight budget but to have children without seat belts in any vehicle....sounds a bit dangerous ..although none of my business..

I wish you well

Upvote 0

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The sad thing is that I know you are on a tight budget but to have children without seat belts in any vehicle....sounds a bit dangerous ..although none of my business..

I wish you well

I fully agree; it is dangerous for any unrestrained person in the back, much worse than in the back of the car. In case of an accident, the unrestrained children (or adults) will be thrown about like confetti but at much higher speeds. There is a good reason why the legislation is now in place.

Also which of the children are you going to give preference to? I would find it terribly difficult to make that choice. I would find out if further seatbelts can be fitted for peace of mind and compliance. Insurance will definately be void if legislation is not complied with.

Francis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ronfleur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Funster No
wot about buses!

Was on a bus yesterday driven by a lunatic who hit every kerb and roundabout at speed. We accept that PSV haven't got seat belts and dont even think about the risk.
Barry

Upvote 0

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Your welcome to visit our garage and i will show you the results of car crashes without seatbelts compared to some with belts .

The most amazing i have seen is a passenger killed by a box of tissues flying from the parcel shelf .

I have also had a driver of mine crash with a van and everything in the back ended up in the front ,that was years ago and now we always have bulkheads .

Just imagine your kids flying around in the rear :Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I would be intereted in reading the full text that you have quoted, as I would have thought that if say there were 6 seats, 2 at the front with belts and 2 of the 4 rear seats had belts but the remaining 2 didn't,

I would have thought it would have been a requirement to use all of the belted seats first, and after they had been filled i would have thought it would have been OK (?) to then use the remaining 2 unbelted seats rather than has been suggested the 2 unbelted seats are unusable, hope that makes sense, I would be very interested if the situation could be clarified.

I also thought there was a requirement irrespective of the age of the vehicle to have child restraints upto a certain age, e.g. child seat or some other suitable method of restraint for children under a certain age

I have just read another post on another website that:

The critical points are that for owners of older motorhomes, it will not become illegal to carry passengers in the rear, provided that no seatbelts are fitted to any seats behind the driver and front passenger seats. Owners of any motorhome that has belts fitted to any seat in the rear will need to be aware that, from May 2009, it will be illegal to carry passengers in any unbelted seats.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As a person with children, I can say that I would not allow them to travel without a seatbelt. And under no circumstances would anyone travel on side facing seats, weather belted or not. I know you have to think about a budget but my opinion is that if you cannot afford a safe layout dont buy.

Upvote 0

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
if by looks of most RV's you have 3 belts 2 front ones,and one to rear of passenger seat,so thats 3 as for the other you could either get some lap belts from a motor factors or Halfords or go to the local scrap yard and buy some more for around £20 a set and get then fitted for piece of mind:thumb:

Upvote 0

Home&Away

Funster
Aug 21, 2009
West Anglia
Funster No
MH
Haven't got one
Exp
starting from scratch NOW!
Hi Claire

You might remember we're doing exactly the same as you, looking for a van for 6 and have had to work out the options such as they are. We want berths and belts for 6.

I thought about fitting extra belts to vans which only had 4 but noted that this really meant adding belts to seats not made for them - seats without full backrest or sideways seats. One reputable and good dealer said that would be ok though most advice here said no to side seats.

We've decided that we have to have six proper belted forward or rearward facing seats for the reasons everyone has given - no kids loose in case of an accident, basically. Worked my way through Motorhome Chooser and came up with a good list of options for new vans but I'm struggling with the cash and the depreciation issues even if we did have the money for a new one. And it really cuts down the options in older vans.

So there you go - we're on the hunt. Be interesting to see where we end up. We aren't at Lincoln but will go to the NEC out of interest even if the bank manager says no!

Good luck - be very interested to know what you end up with.

Mike

PS - the Haynes Motorhome Manual also shows pictures of issues over child seats not staying put on the foam of motorhome bench seats, so something else to check out!

PPS - my wife thinks I'm becoming a Motorhome Nerd. I say it's vital research......!!!!

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
if by looks of most RV's you have 3 belts 2 front ones,and one to rear of passenger seat,so thats 3 as for the other you could either get some lap belts from a motor factors or Halfords or go to the local scrap yard and buy some more for around £20 a set and get then fitted for piece of mind:thumb:

The crunch is who is going to fit them, no business will as should there be an accident, they could be potentially liable in the event of an injury.

We certainly would not.

You also need secure anchorage points that have been aproved.

Very dodgy.

Peter

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
It is not illegal to carry persons, including children or pets, without restraint.

However, if you have an accident and cause injury to passengers you may well be prosecuted. Really, thats not the issue, personal safety for all, dog as well, is paramount.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i agree with peter. i would not fit them in my garage as i would be legally responsible in an accident . unless seatbelt fixings were fitted in factory. children under 12 and babiesw need to be belted now its the law. adults in pre 07 m,homes excempt. no seat belts needed but if fitted must be worn .google dft seatbelt rules think its all explained there.

Upvote 0

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Link Removed

to be honest i agree with buisness's fitting extra belt,but when the new laws came out most mini bus's had to have them fitted and the points for these did not exist,at end of the day if you are self fitting ,make sure the ancorage point for the belts are on a strong surface,usually a double skinned surface that is sound

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back