LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Ciould anyone advise me if we should take laptop on tour of France. What is the Wifi situation like? Are there any Internet cafe type of thing?

We just want it for email and keeping track on the Forum and wondered if it was worth taking it compared to the hassle of chasing Wifi and worry of leaving it in the motorhome when we are exploring.

Anyone any experiences?

Ginny and Mike

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi guys,

It really does depend on how much you need the internet when you are away. WiFi is becoming more and more popular (and cheaper) on many sites, so browsing websites and email from the comfort of your motorhome is easy and far better than many internet cafe's that abound to the sound of kids games and microsoft messengers bleeps.

If its just emails you want then you could look at a new smart phone, or you could buy a cheap second hand laptop, thesesare often cheaper than a smart phone, you only need a very basic laptop for email, browsing and keeping a diary.

Meanwhile, have you thought of fitting a Link Removed in the motorhome.

caz

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Have been in France for a couple of years now. We have no problems with wi-fi as more and more people are offering this service. Also internet cafes are quite good here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I always take mine. WiFi is available on most good sites , the deal I have with vodaphone while abroad on their data card is a bit costly at ten quid a day but it works. The WiFi I had in Italy last summer was great it was free and this summer the site we are booked at near venice says it is free as well , happy days.

Lampie ::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We take our laptop when ever we go abroad. Mcdonalds have wifi access in most. All you need is a cup of coffee and your away.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
You can buy a cheap laptop with a licenced copy of Windows XP for £70 - if you'd like some pointers on this, drop me a PM. You can get a nice spec Wifi enabled laptop which is fully internet / email capable provided you don't want to download massive videos or play intensive online games. For £190 you can get a laptop which cost over £1000 only 12-18 months ago and is still pretty much near the cutting edge - no need to buy expensive new equipment, prices of older laptops are silly money now, much cheaper than smartphones and can even be left in your M/H as part of its "equipment" at a cost of £70 or so.

:RollEyes:

Laurie

jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Laptop in France

Lots of wifi in France. As for a laptop, Ive just bought an ASUS EEE.
Tiny machine with everything you want or need on board, including a webcam.
You can buy them new for about 220 pounds (!) including all the software, wordprocessor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, Skype, video player, radio etc.
And they fit easily in any glove pocket.::bigsmile:

V

vansmudge

Deleted User
Laptop or not in France

Ciould anyone advise me if we should take laptop on tour of France. What is the Wifi situation like? Are there any Internet cafe type of thing?

We just want it for email and keeping track on the Forum and wondered if it was worth taking it compared to the hassle of chasing Wifi and worry of leaving it in the motorhome when we are exploring.

Anyone any experiences?

Ginny and Mike

We are told that most of France Post Offices + MacDonalds have free WiFi
You might check out the following site:
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread