Laptop keyboard

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mushy, Jun 27, 2018.

1. mushy

mushy Funster

Ratings:
    +981
    Due to my regular laptop being repaired I dragged out my old Dell laptop to use as a substitute. This has not been used for a considerable while so after a battery charge I was pleased it fired up ok. Alas all is not well as there is no response from the keyboard. I can scroll round and get to everything but not type. I checked in the device manager and it says the keyboard is working ok. Have I missed something simple or do you have any suggestions I could try. I thought more pressure on the keys might help, like with the aid of a four pound lump hammer but that will probably come later.

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +101,373
    Do you have an old USB keyboard anywhere? That will likely work and allow you to type while your laptop is being repaired.

3. mushy

mushy Funster

Ratings:
    +981
    That's a good idea Jim but this is mainly to see if the old pewter is worth keeping or whether to throw it in the bin. I am using the wife's at the moment but she is worried it will end up like my other two.

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +28,685
    You may just need to replace the driver for the keyboard, if you can get on the internet with it then see if you can find and install it.

5. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +842
    Keep drumming on the keyboard and it may come back to life. Depending on the key technology used you sometime have to work through the oxidized "crust" so that a key connection is made. Sometimes works and sometimes only with some of the keys, but worth a try.