Laptop keeps dropping wifi. (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My daughter has a job working from home running zoom conferences, or will have soon, at the moment she is training, and has to shadow others. Working from home she has 2 laptops one running the zoom and the other running spreadsheets with the information constantly updating. One of the laptops keeps dropping out of wifi, sometimes it will come back and sometimes it fails to even find the network even though it finds other networks. I have told her to update the wifi drivers but it is still doing it. Any ideas please?

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi may be worth looking to see if you change the WIFI channel on the router as you may another one near that interfering or change frequency from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz, you can get a WIFI Scanner app that will show what channels around you are being used, most routers are set to Auto

Last edited:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
As suggested by Phil 748 I would select 5Ghz if the router has that facility. If not, change the router for dual channel. I upgraded my router and find 5GHz a vast improvement. has not dropped out since the upgrade and running two laptops and multiple tablets and phones on wifi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does it do this while close to the router? If it does I suspect its WiFi chip may be failing.

You can buy a USB WiFi dongle for about £10 but the existing WiFi system will need to be disabled using device manager.

If it works close to the router have a look at WiFi extending options. You can get ones which work over the mains, plugging into a 13A socket other systems are repeaters.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
We had lot problems getting a good WIFI signal around the house and went for the BT whole Home WIFI system, now get full WIFI all over house

Last edited:
OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Does it do this while close to the router? If it does I suspect its WiFi chip may be failing.

You can buy a USB WiFi dongle for about £10 but the existing WiFi system will need to be disabled using device manager.

If it works close to the router have a look at WiFi extending options. You can get ones which work over the mains, plugging into a 13A socket other systems are repeaters.
Her office is very close to the router her other laptop is further away and has no problems.
I think she may need to get a dongle. She is just finding out the problems of homeworking as self employed with no IT department to call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think she may need to get a dongle. She is just finding out the problems of homeworking as self employed with no IT department to call.
Got one of these for the daughters desktop and she says it's even faster than the Powerline adapter connection she was using. It's dual band as well.
Amazon product ASIN B07LGMD97Z

MatB30

Free Member
Jun 2, 2017
London, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2013
Windows 10?
Windows 10 has poor support for 5Ghz Wifi, if you can I'd recommend connecting to your Wifi routers 2.4Ghz Wifi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back