Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Now as you probably know I spend to much time on the laptop.

Now as I have a new one I have a question.

Do I leave it plugged in all day with the battery in? or charge it and discharge or what?

What best for the battery life?

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
i use to have it plugged in most of the time i was on it , but every now and then use it on battery to run it down not dead flat but nearly , then plug it in again and use . i think it dose the battery good to run it down then charge . i was told it keeps the battery healthy doing that. my lap top was about 6 years old and the battery was very good . gave me 2 hours battery use at a time . got a new one now and am doing the same with that one .:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi John

Some laptops have a battery care function that keeps the battery healthy when plugged in for long periods..

check your manual, it should have some care instructions.. if not .... here is some general guidance from a laptop site ..

Quote:

Question: Should I Remove the Laptop Battery For A Desktop Replacement Laptop?

I have a laptop at home which I use as a desktop replacement. As such, 99% of the time the laptop is being used it is plugged in. I wonder if I should remove the battery so that it is not permanently being charged, or does the laptop cut off the current to the battery once it is fully charged? I do unplug the laptop when I turn it off.

Answer:

When using a laptop as a desktop replacement the battery should not be left in for long periods of time. The laptop will over time discharge the battery. Remove the battery – making sure that it is charged to 40% and store it in a dry, warm place. Ensure that it is wrapped protectively and nothing will be dropped on it.

The battery should be re-installed every 3-4 weeks and allowed to fully discharge. Leaving a battery in storage for longer than this without using could cause the battery to fully discharge as the circuitry of the battery itself consumes power.

Leaving a battery in a laptop while using an electrical outlet for long periods of time will keep the battery in a constant state of charging up and that will reduce the life cycle of the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
I concur with both posts so far.

However, i run my batters down til the warning coems on once a week and when I leave it at night or weekends I disconnect it. This I find prelongs the life.

But I have also bought a spare can often try to alternate but finish up loosing one or both!!!

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Charge the battery up and take it out if using on mains. if they are left in they can be fried. I ran mine down periodically and it lasted less than 12 months.

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Discharge and charge regularly. Keeping them plugged in ruins them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I am a computer consultant and have been using laptops since they were first introduced (over 20 years). For several years I have had two laptops; a large desktop replacement for heavy jobs/main use on customer sites, and a small portable one for use in meetings and when travelling. The former is rarely used off mains and the batteries are left in all the time. It might be used on batteries about once a month, or to act as back-up in the event of a mains failure. The latter is used on batteries often until they are nearly flat and then is charged up to full each time, ready for the next time it is needed, which might be several weeks away.

The point is that none of the batteries have ever failed in any of the machines. The computers usually become obsolete before the batteries need replacing. Modern batteries, and the built-in chargers, are more than capable of being used in either situation without harm. I would NEVER recommend taking the battery out of a laptop and using it just on the mains - that completely negates the primary benefit of a laptop, and could well result in the loss of primary settings if the battery if left out for long periods and the internal hold-up battery fails (I have had to sort a number of laptops for other people where this has occured ). The only time a battery might be fried would be if there was a fault in the computer or the battery and that could equally occur just in normal use (as happened in the battery recall last year, which affected a number of manufacturers products). I should point out that was not normal behaviour for batteries, which is why there was a major recall and replacement programme.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
I have 2 laptops. The oldest being 12 years old. Its not used much now, only when we are out and about and to back up into a external hard drive. The laptop when not in use is always on charge, and is still in good condition.

P K :thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back