Lap belts (1 Viewer)

James Kelly

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Funster No
Hi there I'm new to this site and motorhomes I've had type 2s and Transit mk1 campers and caravans. But I bought an auto trail Apache 700 of 2008 vintage. And was wondering if I can fit lap belts to the rear facing seats thanks in advance for any help or ideas. Jim

OP
OP
J

James Kelly

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Funster No
I had my suspicions but it's always better to have someone tell you thank's. Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

OP
OP
J

James Kelly

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Funster No
Hi all and thank you for your welcome. Ian I dare say that if there's a will there's a way but is it worth the hassle I'm happy I can point to a certain person and say I asked the forum and was told it's not advisable. I then don't HAVE to invite certain people if you get my drift. Oh happy days Jim

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the subject of retro fitting seatbelts is regularly brought up. the problems are multiple and include building a frame bolted to the chassis and capable of taking crash loads, through to insurance companies not insuring for more passengers than the log book v5 shows and the current laws that say all designated travel seats must be identified as such. then finding somebody qualified to calculate the stress loads manufacture and fit the sub structure and willing to indemnify their work should somebody get injured when their work fails is impossible

sorry for the very short reply last night, i was exhausted after working all day in the heat. same answer though

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the fun house James! :D

The answer IS no however in case they delve deeper into your reason for saying no then here's a bit more about it. The seats have to have a strong metal tubular framework base to them which is bolted to the chassis (this is to prevent the base itself from crumpling in an accident) and the seat belts are attached to this framework. In addition ideally you'd need head restraints which with your MH not having 'original' travelling seats there they won't have.

The next thing is payload - if you haven't got a MH meant to take 2 more people it's unlikely you'd have sufficient capacity to take them anyway (especially if they're tubbies! :D ).

Edit: The Big One replied about insurance etc whilst I was still typing so I won't state it again.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here we go again people insist its not possible
Based on their own inability to carry out the task, why do you reply with such authority

The pic shown a dozen times on here already shows a Factory designed and built seat belt mount made out of tin pressed to shape and spot welded in 3 places to a rear inner arch, NO chassis connection whatsoever
crash testing has shown the force needed to pull away such a mount would kill you any way.
In a serious Mo Ho crash you are twice as likely to be killed by flying furniture whilst you are Bolted to the chassis:clap2: study the pic, enlarge and take in what you see then explain why the average skilled person cant fit a seat belt mount.
Its a very common second family car by the way used for school runs daily. Citroen Saxo VTR also a boy racer special, the arrow points to where the seat belt mounting bolt goes, the tree legs are spot welded only to the inner skin

seatbelt mounts.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Here we go again people insist its not possible
Based on their own inability to carry out the task, why do you reply with such authority
The pic shown a dozen times on here already shows a Factory designed and built seat belt mount made out of tin pressed to shape and spot welded in 3 places to a rear inner arch, NO chassis connection whatsoever
We're talking about MOTORHOMES though Geo, NOT a flipping car! Prey tell where would you 'spot weld' to a wooden seat base which is only fixed with some screws!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi all and thank you for your welcome. Ian I dare say that if there's a will there's a way but is it worth the hassle I'm happy I can point to a certain person and say I asked the forum and was told it's not advisable. I then don't HAVE to invite certain people if you get my drift. Oh happy days Jim
Next question will be 'can we borrow it' .... :rolleyes:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
OP mentions "rear-facing seats", so I understand that to be facing backwards.
I'm not sure why you might want to add belts there, other than to restrain a fidgety person.
You could add belts but I think the law would be confused by it if something happened.

OP
OP
J

James Kelly

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Funster No
Hi all again have I kicked over a hornets nest lol. I worked in the heavy engineering for a number of years so a bit of welding and fitting doesn't faze me but while I worked there I also was deemed the Mobil crane operator for their boat yard. And since then have this abject fear of adding holes to anything that doesn't need it. A little bit anal I know but this is the better outcome for me no need for me to take the outlaws with me. As I said before OH HAPPY DAYS YIPPEE

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
The Knaus I sold last year was approved for 6 occupants. That is to say, driver and 5 passengers. Two of the passengers would sit in the rearwards facing seats of the dinette. Those seats had lap belts. Therefore, it is certainly possible to fit, and legally use lap belts on rearwards facing seats.

Whether or not they can be retrofitted though is another matter. As was stated above, its probably not within the capabilities of an average person, but added to that is the legal aspect. Approval would probably be needed for the additional passengers.

OP
OP
J

James Kelly

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Funster No
Once again I thank you for for the warm welcome and the information received it makes for a happy home. No doubt I'll be back here soon enough after I've lost the will to live trying to get the drop down screen to actually do something other than give me a nice company logo on the screen thanks. Jim

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I think that The Big 1 and Minxy have offered sufficient advice in response to the , "errr deeper" meaning of the request from JK so really can't understand why others then undermine said advice leaving poor JK back in the difficult position of keeping unwanted passengers at bay (n)(n)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Our RV has all sorts of lap belts. Two forward facing dinette, two rear facing dinette and THREE sideways facing on the sofa. Wouldn’t use any of them. :rofl:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi all again have I kicked over a hornets nest lol. I worked in the heavy engineering for a number of years so a bit of welding and fitting doesn't faze me but while I worked there I also was deemed the Mobil crane operator for their boat yard. And since then have this abject fear of adding holes to anything that doesn't need it. A little bit anal I know but this is the better outcome for me no need for me to take the outlaws with me. As I said before OH HAPPY DAYS YIPPEE
... they could of course follow you in their car ... :eek:

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I think that The Big 1 and Minxy have offered sufficient advice in response to the , "errr deeper" meaning of the request from JK so really can't understand why others then undermine said advice leaving poor JK back in the difficult position of keeping unwanted passengers at bay (n)(n)

Its quite simple. Being far to direct for a forum, the information is not 100% correct.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
To the OP the reason I say it is not possible is the thought of trusting a member of my family's life to something that has been added on without proper design and with no consideration that everything in the moho behind the cab is made of flimsy materials stuck or screwed together, except the chassis.

My previous moho and the one I have now both have factory fitted seat belts behind the cab and I was fully aware of the substantial steel structures that took the loads from those belts down to the chassis. I am sure that they will have been properly designed and manufactured to take those loads.

Just ask yourself what you would feel like if a DIY add on failed and one of your passengers was seriously injured or died.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
James buy a little tow car
Sit them in the car fully belted for the journey and tow them to the destination.
See
You can have the pleasure of the OUTLAWS whilst away.
lol

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Nudge nudge, wink

Ian

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
To the OP the reason I say it is not possible is the thought of trusting a member of my family's life to something that has been added on without proper design and with no consideration that everything in the moho behind the cab is made of flimsy materials stuck or screwed together, except the chassis.

Not quite, Peter. James said that it would be for the "outlaws".
I can understand his overwhelming desire to keep them in their place, though.
:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back