Lannemezan to Ainsa through Pyrenees (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can only suggest using Google street view to look at the road as if you were driving on it. I have done this for cycling trips, to check how much traffic to expect and how wide the road is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On Google Street view there is a picture of a MH just outside the tunnel: http://goo.gl/maps/eVCMd
So, this would suggest you can get through with a MH unless they only came this far for a cup of tea and then turned round! If you swing the view round to look in the other direction notice that long dark, low tunnel. More than a little spooky!

Further down on the French side there are some narrow bends: http://goo.gl/maps/5M7Wk
Spanish side looks OK: http://goo.gl/maps/aNJkH

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've only done this area in a car, but some of the D roads were incredibly twisty while climbing. I am not sure how relaxing a drive it will be in a large vehicle. I was freaked by the falling rocks warning signs.

I think it's a case of looking at the map, on paper and inline in fine detail. There should be info online about tunnel heights, although logic tells me who'd build a tunnel at great expense that's too low for coaches/ lorries.

The N roads are not so pretty but might be less stressful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks guys, some great advice. I did do a 'walk' through using google earth which was fantastic and was the thing that made me nervous! I've changed plan now though and we'll go via Vielha and stop at the lakes etc on the way through if the weather is good. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Leaving UK early September heading slowly down the east side of France so probably late September early October ish!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Leaving UK early September heading slowly down the east side of France so probably late September early October ish!

Exactly the same time as Mrs BB and I did it in 2003 in a four and a half ton Laika and a few times the other way since in other vans. Stopped in St Lary for a few days to catch the market and then up and over. Up from St Lary to the tunnel was a doddle, down required stopping at least three times to cool the brakes. Best spot is the old (deserted) Spanish Customs post where there is some level ground. Tunnel is good France to Spain but a steady climb the other way. If the the Camping Municipal in St Lary has remained the same as it was on our last visit in 2009 it's worth the stop, all facilities at a great price and in late Sept you'll have the place to yourselves. Good luck, it's a brilliant journey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back